Flat battery jump start pack (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In the last 2 years I have needed to be jump started three times in our MH, 2 x due to operator error, but all equally inconvenient

So I have decided to buy a jump start pack, as ever started my search on ebay to find 15,000 options

So now back to you all, hoping for personal experience

A fellow MHer had a Halfords unit which in conjunction with a French MHer and his generator restarted us on a French Aire just before the RAC (French agent) turned up

I have found this

Broken Link Removed

but with prices for these ranging from £30 to over £500 I would really welcome user opinion (y)

Oh and Bev has agreed to buy it for me for Christmas so budget no problem :D

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have looked at these power pack/jump start kits in the past and invariably find that the cheaper ones usually aren't suitable for larger vehicles i.e. Isn't suitable for a 2.3 engine. Just something to be mindful of when making your choice. I just carry a set of heavy duty jump leads.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I just carry a set of heavy duty jump leads.

Thanks, we have a 3.0 auto so will bear this in mind

I did think about just carrying leads, but you still need something to connect to, one of our 'problems' occurred on a remote private beach (CL) in Scotland, I am also worried about damaging the donor vehicle, I would feel really guilty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
As above.
I've looked for these in the past but never been convinced enough to buy one and there's not many boast they're capable of starting anything like a 2500cc diesel. Something's up with my browser so I can't give you a link but Sealey have a question on their home page on this model number:

Question: Hi
Would this booster be ok to start a 2.0 petrol VW Passat?

Answer: No it wouldnt start that size engine car, you need to look at a booster pack that is around 1200 peak amps this should suit that engine size.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Funny? I've got one in my Christmas wish list! (Daughter is buying it).
Like you, I was totally confused by the amount of them on eBay. What I did was to read the reviews and critically, the power outputs etc. Surprisingly, although some looked more 'meaty' than others, they had the same amount of 'grunt'. With a lot of them, it was pure badge engineering.

I had a smallish one, but broke the crocodile clip - hence putting a new one on my list. I'd hate to recommend one only to find you stuck somewhere in deepest France with you muttering, " It was that bloody funster that recommended that!" :mad:

I mainly use one for inflating the tyres and I use the 12v socket occasionally. I doubt if most of them would jump a totally 'dead' battery? I had to call out the RAC recently for my car (a Kuga). His massive power pack wouldn't start it - he had to link to his own van with his engine running.

Have to say that prevention is better than cure. If the vehicle batt' keeps going flat (op error excluded) I would opt for a new battery. Not much more expensive than jump starter (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David you would be better with a good set of long jump leads-Every starter pack I have ever owned tend to sit in the garage until they were needed only to find they were close to dead :)-Starter pack wise you need close to 8/900 cold cranking amps not peak amps so the link one is not good -With jump leads you can always put them onto your L/battery for the odd jump start (it won't harm it )if no other vehicles are around (y)In the past when stuck I have been known to take the starter battery and swap it for the LB -not that it would be any good for your van too many leccy things to go wrong if you remove starter battery :)You could always remove the LB and get it to with in jump lead reach
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-333053/...v59smrs8-EOtHwPOCrKIHmze0vERmBzLOABoCMi_w_wcB

the above is a good value for money jump start pack but I would still go for the jump leads :D
terry
edit you can get the same pack from Machine mart

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I bought one in aldi earlier this year used it twice to start flat battery on motorhome ......started it no problem and it has the added bonus of having a compressor and 12v and usb as well .
Carry it in the garage . Should have been £49.99 managed to get it when it had be.e.n reduced to £29.99

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David you would be better with a good set of long jump leads-Every starter pack I have ever owned tend to sit in the garage until they were needed only to find they were close to dead :)-Starter pack wise you need close to 8/900 cold cranking amps not peak amps so the link one is not good -With jump leads you can always put them onto your L/battery for the odd jump start (it won't harm it )if no other vehicles are around (y)In the past when stuck I have been known to take the starter battery and swap it for the LB -not that it would be any good for your van too many leccy things to go wrong if you remove starter battery :)You could always remove the LB and get it to with in jump lead reach
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-333053/...v59smrs8-EOtHwPOCrKIHmze0vERmBzLOABoCMi_w_wcB

the above is a good value for money jump start pack but I would still go for the jump leads :D
terry
edit you can get the same pack from Machine mart
agree with Terry.. long heavy duty jump leads and use the leisure battery(s)

Our RV had an emergency start switch that effectively connected the leisure batteries to the engine battery for starting if the engine battery was flat..

This does sound like a good idea, but would I need to disconnect the LB first, I really am no good with tools, if no disconnect needed, I could buy 6m leads that should reach round from jump start posts under bonnet to LB in situ (y)

I guess turning off the charger and maybe even the controller would be sensible, there is a master 50A fuse I could pull to sort that, as Terry says there is a lot of techie stuff on our MH

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have to say that prevention is better than cure. If the vehicle batt' keeps going flat (op error excluded) I would opt for a new battery. Not much more expensive than jump starter (y)

We had a recent service and needed a new starter motor, the battery was tested as part of that work and appears to be perfect, but for the price of a battery and peace of mind I will probably change it anyway

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With a decent set of longish leads you should be able to start yourself.

Connect to your leisure battery to jump start....if it's accessible
The odd time you need do it isnt going to harm the leisure battery.

Ooops....Jim got there first.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
With a decent set of longish leads you should be able to start yourself.

Connect to your leisure battery to jump start....if it's accessible
The odd time you need do it isnt going to harm the leisure battery.

very accessible in external side locker, but do I need to disconnect everything on the MH side of the LB?

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We had a Clarke 4000 from machine mart.. Never used it and finally sold it a month or so ago at a car boot sale. Weighed a ton and never kept it in the van

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. Just had a thought..

If you have the sort of battery connectors often found on modern(ish ) vans, the positive side may well have what looks like a big plate on it with lots of connections going to it.
That in its self is no problem as such, but when jump starting you MUST make sure the positive lead goes to the actual battery terminal .. If you just hook it on to the top of one of the fuses that are located on that plate the chances are 50 50 of blowing the fuse as it is as likely you will hook on to the output side of the fuse as it is the feed side of it !

Sounds complex and also that it might be easy to mess up..
Well yes, I spose it is, but only if you do not look first :)
Providing you hook the red lead to the actual battery terminal and no where else all will be just fine :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Jump leads it seems like it will be then

Thanks to all contributors

Other option is we carry our Honda generator just in case, and wait while it recharges

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Why the rush to treat the symptom rather than the disease here?

If you are suffering starter battery discharge when parked up, surely you should be looking for the cause first?

That would be my approach. As others have mentioned, good quality jump leads would be a smarter solution if you want a plan B onboard.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why the rush to treat the symptom rather than the disease here?

If you are suffering starter battery discharge when parked up, surely you should be looking for the cause first?

That would be my approach. As others have mentioned, good quality jump leads would be a smarter solution if you want a plan B onboard.

problem clearly identified, operator error, we have 2 x 12V sockets in cab area, one goes off with ignition, other doesn't, used for charging laptop via plug in inverter, epic fail

need to resolve alternative power supplies, but we always have risk of repeat operator malfunction

cab battery is OK

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just another point.. Do not think of buying any jump leads that cost less than about £30..
Just had a look on fleabay and there are loads on there I would not trust to turn over a small motorbike but are claiming to be able to handle massive current draw.

Halfords are currently carrying a reasonable set for £35.00

Broken Link Removed

But as Jonandshell said, is there a reason for the cab battery to fail ?

Cross posted.. question answered !!! :)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
One morning on holiday in France I was asked for a jump start. Politely refused explaining that he should find out why it went flat and getting leads on to a 2005 Ducato was next to impossible. Voltage on his battery was 0.7v. Bit flat then !
I ascertained that he had a solar panel, I disconnected it from the leisure battery and took a wire to the vehicle battery.
It was around 10am, at 6pm there was enough charge to fire up the MH. Alternator was up to 14.4v so that was OK.
Suggested he may need a new battery but he got his own wire and crocodile clip and continued like this for a week.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I have decided to buy a jump start pack, as ever started my search on ebay to find 15,000 options

Oh and Bev has agreed to buy it for me for Christmas so budget no problem :D

Jump leads it seems like it will be then

Best you find something else you need now - jump leads aren't going to stretch her budget:D

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
problem clearly identified, operator error, we have 2 x 12V sockets in cab area, one goes off with ignition, other doesn't, used for charging laptop via plug in inverter, epic fail

need to resolve alternative power supplies, but we always have risk of repeat operator malfunction

cab battery is OK

Pull the fuse! LOL!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back