Best sealant to re-seal a bathroom skylight. (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Could someone post a link or tell me what is the best sealant to use, need to remove a Omnistore 12v roof fan vent and re-seal it as it is leaking.

Regards

Paul.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sikaflex EBT. Adhesive, sealant, and filler. Never goes truly hard. I used it for same thing, excellent results. Mask up the area well for good results.
Phil

Thanks Phil, someone told me to use Wurth non setting glass sealant which is why I am asking.

Paul.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
You will probally find that the vent your removing doesnt have sealenat but a foam or rubber strip which has perished. So bed it down onto the sikalfex and do the screw holes as well

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Just taken mine out as it was leaking badly..and it appeared to be put in with bathroom sealant. Now I can't get on the roof but obviously need to put it back in ASAP so can I put non setting stuff over what is already there? Obviously I've scraped off as much as I can get to

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Just taken mine out as it was leaking badly..and it appeared to be put in with bathroom sealant. Now I can't get on the roof but obviously need to put it back in ASAP so can I put non setting stuff over what is already there? Obviously I've scraped off as much as I can get to
Sorry, it needs to be scraped off first, thats the hard bit. Then use Sikkaflex EBT to re seal. You really need someone to get on the roof to do a "proper job"
Phil

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So will the fibreglass hi top on my transit van conversion take my 100kg or do I need to send a kid up there..

citroen sm

Free Member
Nov 28, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
Iveco bus conversion
Exp
had one 14 yrs ago. Just got another recently
I'm no expert but if I had to go up I'd be using some kind of board on the roof to spread my weight. Might entirely depend on the nature of your roof though. LG.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Well I used a ladder and the gf steadying and reached.. managed to get all the old bathroom sealant off and used plumbers mait round the skylight, pushed down and screwed in hard to get a good deal, removed the excess plumbers mait and covered the edge all round in drain sealant .. sticky black stuff.. apparently now just have to cross fingers it doesn't rain for 48 hours.. I'm hoping a bit of dew fall won't hurt and fingers crossed for no frost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back