mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Our toilet floor is soaking and the water appears to be coming 'through' the skylight.. I can't see where it is coming from but it doesn't make the ceiling around it wet.. I can't see anything that seals it when closed.. there is a small even gap all the way round.. is that how it should be..

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I will try and take pics later as this description makes no sense even to me

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
You can buy skylights cheaply on ebay, and they are dead easy to self fit.Did one myself earlier this year. Need photos really.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You get up there with a hosepipe, or better still send someone else up, and give the area a good flooding and see where it is coming out inside - but this may not help you to see where it is coming in. I can only suggest inspecting the seal around the rooflight externally and see if looks cracked or perished. It may be possible to remove and reseal it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if we leave ours open, even a little, in heavy rain we get wet coming round them, it bounces off the roof then the underside of the skylight and in, hopefully that is all that you have wrong

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The loo skylight in our Bolero doesn't seal onto the roof, there's an air gap. However just in front of it on the roof is a small deflector that stops wet getting in whilst driving. Otherwise the only time water got past was during a tremendous thunderstorm in the Garonne when I forgot to close it......... Think it more likely you've got a seal missing or damaged somewhere. As mentioned above, get a hosepipe up there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
if we leave ours open, even a little, in heavy rain we get wet coming round them, it bounces off the roof then the underside of the skylight and in, hopefully that is all that you have wrong
This sounds like the most likely scenario especially if there's been some heavy rain, this even happens in our static a little bit when it's throwing it down - the rain bounces up and under the lip of the skylight and then hits the underside and drops into the caravan.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This sounds like the most likely scenario especially if there's been some heavy rain, this even happens in our static a little bit when it's throwing it down - the rain bounces up and under the lip of the skylight and then hits the underside and drops into the caravan.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

It looks like that's what had happened. The main skylight in the living area has a huge overhang and no water comes in even on night setting. The one in the toilet is tiny and doesn't seem to close completely. It looks as though I have a couple of inches height to play with so may look to upgrade it. Currently trying to dry out the floor which was a puddle but now is just damp.. think I need to get a waterproof floor covering in there anyway.. Will lino be good enough do you think?

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
And actually here are the awful pictures aforementioned

Attachments

• IMAG0465.jpg
    IMAG0465.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0464.jpg
    IMAG0464.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0461.jpg
    IMAG0461.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0462.jpg
    IMAG0462.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Well I can't get the floor to dry.. Damn carpet.. have to wait till next weekend now and see if I can scrounge an offcut of lino from somewhere.. all the glue scraping in that small space will be such fun.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
This is what terry on here recommended
I stuck it in with stick all
And sealed around edges with puraflex

It took me about 20 minutes slow going to get window out
A painful 2 hours to clean it all up
Then about 1 hour to get it all back in
image.jpg

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Our toilet floor is soaking and the water appears to be coming 'through' the skylight.. I can't see where it is coming from but it doesn't make the ceiling around it wet.. I can't see anything that seals it when closed.. there is a small even gap all the way round.. is that how it should be..
I'll have to use that excuse when our toilet floor next gets "wet" :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It could be that there is muck around the skylight preventing it from being pulled down and reducing the gap - give it a good clean round outside and see if that sorts it.

As for the flooring, I've got a thick piece of vinyl that someone was throwing away at an aire - when I fitted it I cut it an inch wider all around so that it sits up at the edges then any water that does get onto it doesn't 'flow' off at the sides/underneath.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back