roof leak cured , how to get rid of staining ? (1 Viewer)

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
Had a leak around a roof rail joint on my Compass m/h looks like its cured with sv sealnt but can't shift the staining caused internally , tried 1001 carpet cleaner , stainoff and most others I have seen for sale but no result so far .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't know if this will work or not, but hey ho, tis worth a try (say a square centimetre maybe)
I had a Mould stain on my awning canvas, I got some "Starbiight RV Awning cleaner" recommended by someone on here (can't remember who tho) followed the instructions and it worked.
As I've said ! don't know if it will work.
Is the stain Brown?
Perhaps trial and error! Starbright and bleach? Gently does it tho!
Weak weak mixture at first?

Sorry I can't help otherwise!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just had a quick squizz at a Victorian thingee and it recommends Lemon juice!

Trial and error? tiny square for a tester?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
WD40 and cream cleaner are 2 most popular items i use for removing stains, don't think i have come across anything yet i haven't been able to remove with either (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Carpet stains? Have you tried Vanish carpet cleaner - the spot removal one in the spray can in this case, methinks.

If not carpet, where else?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its on vinyl coated wall/ceiling board, it needs either replacing or painting usually

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
All waterstaining on vinyl or matt substances will require a stain block. We are forever covering water stains in the building trade. You have several choices polycell do a stain block spray in a aerosol, we usually just use a oil based paint then once dry go over with emulsion.
In a motorhome this ain't going to look pleasant. magnum motorhomes sell wall/ceiling boards you could cut the section out and replace using a reciprocating saw.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I got some roof staining after trying to wash/clean it.After cleaning it ,it was a bigger mess than before I started :(I was going to simply overboard it but decided to paint it -A full 24 hrs later and 4 coats of paint all was as new (y)If I would have over-boarded it the job would have been done in a couple of hours and no waiting for anything to dry -Still very happy with result and I also painted the Heiki blind to the same shade of off white / cream (not the frame just the roller blind bit)-I found = parts of white and Magnolia to be a perfect match (y):)
terry

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have the same problem with my Chausson, It has a fabric roof lining and it is that which has a slight brownish stain where water got in some time ago, it is OK now but the stain always looks like it is still leaking. WD40 is an oil and would stain it more but a different colour . I might try spot cleaner though on a tiny bit out of sight.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have the same problem with my Chausson, It has a fabric roof lining and it is that which has a slight brownish stain where water got in some time ago, it is OK now but the stain always looks like it is still leaking. WD40 is an oil and would stain it more but a different colour . I might try spot cleaner though on a tiny bit out of sight.
Fair point, sounds about right, I thought it is a fish oil but wasn't aware it would stain further
Hope he hasn't tryed it, just shows always learning

OP
OP
G

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
Carpet stains? Have you tried Vanish carpet cleaner - the spot removal one in the spray can in this case, methinks.

If not carpet, where else?
Yes first thing I tried , thought it had worked but when dry was still same .

OP
OP
G

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
All waterstaining on vinyl or matt substances will require a stain block. We are forever covering water stains in the building trade. You have several choices polycell do a stain block spray in a aerosol, we usually just use a oil based paint then once dry go over with emulsion.
In a motorhome this ain't going to look pleasant. magnum motorhomes sell wall/ceiling boards you could cut the section out and replace using a reciprocating saw.
The interior of the roof on mine is covered in a Hessian type of material .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's a very easy job to cover the Hessian with Veltrim -You can buy a 10 mtr roll (2 mtrs wide) = 20sq mtrs and 10 cans of spray adhesive for £105 -not saying you will need that much but it gives a idea how cheap it is on price -simply spray roof then veltrim ,stick it up and cut around cupboards -wipe off excess/overspray glue (y)Sharpe Stanley type blades needed and don't be afraid to change the blades
terry

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Perhaps ask at your dry cleaners if they have anything that might help...?
:smiley:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well haven't replied cos I got caught using her toothbrush and am only just out of hospital and had to buy her an expensive electric one as compensation!!

Seriously the WD 40 lightened it but did leave a lighter stain after drying.Think lemon juice gonna be my next test,before I put it in her G&T.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am a car body and interior repairer...this sounds very similar to a cars roof lining..
and unless you know what you are doing you do not touch these....normally replace the
lot...or treat the stained area and then recolour the lot and this is not as easy as it reads.
If you want to pursue this latter suggestion get in touch and I will advise as best I can!!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
You should be able to buy a roll of roof lining paper from your motorhome manufacturer which will match your existing roof boards if you give them your serial number and manufacturing date etc. The only decision is then how much to do and to find logical places to end your replacement lining paper. You are unlikely to be able to remove water stain marks!

OP
OP
G

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
Joncris I ordered that one you recommended .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back