Hadrian's Wall (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
my first thought is how to get MH moved at same time as you walk, so you need a driver or do a lot of walking back to collect

but then I found this link to a bus option that might solve all problems

http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/explore/ad122-hadrians-wall-country-bus

as for access, a lot of it has the old military road running more or less alongside (B6318)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, I have done it in 2009. Took me 39-1/2 hours over 3-1/2 days. It can be tough in places depending on how far you go per day and if I never see a style again in my life it will be too soon. I did 27 miles in one day ending at once brewed; it was a killer day, so don't do that. Regarding taking your accommodation with you, why not. You will just have to organise transport back to it each night from your finish point then move on. Let us know how you get on because I want to do some sections with my wife and MOHO.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i wouldn't go again, costs a fortune to park in their car parks and then another fortune just to go and see/walk by the wall. national trust sites were the worst for this. Vindolandium (or something like that) was the best and cheapest. Give me france anyday. Rip off britain.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Yes, took a week, so getting away from the longer mileage that ABZsteve found he had..............(been there, done that, killer mileages during long distance walks);

I know the authorities were getting concerned about the popularity of this LDP, and there were rumbles about diverting walkers away from those area's that were showing signs of erosion damage.

Can't help with campsites, as I bivie'd more or less on route.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Reading this post has inspired me. I have just found a site called The walking Englishman and altho I have only just skipped through it I can see it will provide me with endless useful info. Just need to get down the gym more often then mabe I can tackle a long distance path too. Link www.ThewalkingEnglishman.com

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Good idea, Ive walked it and have run it over a couple of days carrying a light pack of overnight kit, with a motorhome I havent but if I did..........I would ........consider this option, Wake early every morning, move your van on to your proposed overnight location, then get your transport back to your start point and set off, doing it this way you know that you can take your time as your food and bed awaits you whenever you return. A bit of forward planning beforehand is required but go for it before the negative postings put you off.

OP
OP
Beemer

Beemer

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Lincolnshire & Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2 Years
Many thanks for all the replies. The way I proposed to do it was by prepositioning my MH at the day's end point before getting a bus back to the start point to commence walking, just as suggested in Jumar's post above. I'll do all the planning over the winter. If the MH parking charges prove too prohibitive then I'll probably look at walking the route, staying at B&B's /Pubs en-route.

Dave

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
prepositioning my MH at the day's end point before getting a bus back to the start point to commence walking, just as suggested in Jumar's post above. I'll do all the planning over the winter. If the MH parking charges prove too prohibitive then I'll probably look at walking the route, staying at B&B's /Pubs en-route.

Dave

Check the bus timetables when you're planning, the Hadrians Wall bus is not very frequent. You'll probably be relying on the Newcastle/Carlisle service which follows the A69.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Reading this post has inspired me. I have just found a site called The walking Englishman and altho I have only just skipped through it I can see it will provide me with endless useful info. Just need to get down the gym more often then mabe I can tackle a long distance path too. Link www.ThewalkingEnglishman.com
Thanks for this - looking forward to trying some of these

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
My bruv walked most of HW in September, camping en route for first couple of nights, staging his car as he went. Think he found the bus didn't run at that time of the year, so had to use taxis. Obviously bit more expensive but not long distances.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Maybe
Maybe we could start a motorhome fun walking group then we could walk together and do a leapfrog sort of arrangement to get from A to B and back.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Co
Maybe

Maybe we could start a motorhome fun walking group then we could walk together and do a leapfrog sort of arrangement to get from A to B and back.
interesting thought....
I know in years gone past we've used the shuttle service in the Peak District but there's a few of those listed I hadn't heard of.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think there are services that will pick your luggage up and leave it at the next hotel or b&b on route might be cheaper then using your van with fuel , parking , taxi etc.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
the WalkingEnglishman link, doesn't seem to work - for me ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back