Innovations in GPS technology.. What more can they do ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just wondering..
All the main players seem to bring out new models on a regular basis..
An awful lot of em have blue tooth and even internet connection built in..

In general they all do a good job of getting you where you want to be, with decent spoken directions and visual lane aids..

So what would you like to see added to a new model ?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm sure the issue for Garmin, TomTom et al is that the better smart phone navigation systems get, the more features they will need to add to provide a usp. My guess is they will continue to integrate mobile phone technology.

Voice control?
Built in dashcam?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A lot already has voice control ( both our tomotms do ) but a built in dash cam sounds like a goer..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thing is my phone already does both of those things as well as sat nav.. what is it it that makes you have a dedicated sat nav rather than use a smart phone app just out of interest...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The BMW one has what they call a "concierge service." The car has a SIM card in it, you press a button and it calls up the service. You speak to the person on the other end and tell them what you need - I'm going to the the NEC or I want the nearest McDonalds, or whatever you want and they find it and send it directly to the Satnav so you don't have to do anything.

You can also find a location on Google maps on a computer and send that straight to the car so you don't need to program it, just accept the route.

Both are more useful than I thought they would be.

I'm sure other manufacturers do the same things (I know they do for the Google maps thing)

Also the traffic updates and offering you a diversion that they all do it great.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thing is my phone already does both of those things as well as sat nav.. what is it it that makes you have a dedicated sat nav rather than use a smart phone app just out of interest...

Maybe a lot of folk do not have a smartphone ?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

I'm sure that's the case for some. I was just wondering as I know a lot of people who have both and I was thinking whatever it is that prompted the additional purchase was probably the things sat nav mfrs should be improving and developing

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what is it it that makes you have a dedicated sat nav rather than use a smart phone app just out of interest...

have both but still prefer the dedicated sat nav.

I have Co-pilot (paid version) on my Galaxy S3 and it works well, but it is a smaller screen, not a big issue but I also find it more fiddly to use than my TomTom .. small touch screens and pork sausage fingers don't work well.. On one occasion the phone overheated and shut down..

Have used the phone when out walking in town and found it very useful.. but for car, I'll stick with a dedicated unit.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The BMW one has what they call a "concierge service." The car has a SIM card in it, you press a button and it calls up the service. You speak to the person on the other end and tell them what you need - I'm going to the the NEC or I want the nearest McDonalds, or whatever you want and they find it and send it directly to the Satnav so you don't have to do anything.

You can also find a location on Google maps on a computer and send that straight to the car so you don't need to program it, just accept the route.

Both are more useful than I thought they would be.

I'm sure other manufacturers do the same things (I know they do for the Google maps thing)

Also the traffic updates and offering you a diversion that they all do it great.

Now that is a idea that really appeals to me if they only made them for Motorhomes at a affordable price (eg £350) when our trusty old Tom Tom 700 Go gives up the ghost that would be a option I would like available.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'm sure that's the case for some. I was just wondering as I know a lot of people who have both and I was thinking whatever it is that prompted the additional purchase was probably the things sat nav mfrs should be improving and developing

For me personally it is ease of use ( and I get a LOT of fone calls ! )

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Got a built in Comand system in the car which is excellent as it does everything. It cannot be long before car manufacturers fully integrate a dashcam into the whole thing as well. Suspect that there may be issues that we aren't aware of preventing this as it seems to be a no brainer

Dawn still uses our ancient tomtom even in my car as she finds the Comand system too intimidating.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Even with updated maps my garmin does not know about every road so it would be nice if it could learn and when I drive on a new road it remembered it. From experience it doesn't do this.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Wouldn't be surprised if sat navs (dedicated and mobile phone) start giving advertising for local food \ fuel \ shopping outlets as you approach them! Heaven forbid!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
In sight displays will soon be commonplace bit like a fighter pilot has. With voice control of course.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
In sight displays will soon be commonplace bit like a fighter pilot has. With voice control of course.
You can already get this for mobiles but they are pretty basic.. no map view I've found yet and they tend to be pretty poor in the daylight on most windscreens. I think some French cars have something built in for speed etc but it uses a slide up perspex screen rather than the actual windscreen

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If all sat navs were connected to a central network they could help manage congestion by sharing the traffic between a number of different roads.
It would also be good if they offered an option to take a scenic route
And also suggest the best times to make a trip based on known rush hour data

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If all sat navs were connected to a central network they could help manage congestion by sharing the traffic between a number of different roads.
It would also be good if they offered an option to take a scenic route
And also suggest the best times to make a trip based on known rush hour data
Try Waze if you have a smart phone.. I think that's what you mean. It learns routes you drive and you can add things that are of benefit to other users such as road and traffic conditions..and has voice control etc.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.

In my case I have both Sat-Nav and a phone both of which are getting a bit long in the tooth so the decision now is a new phone or a new Sat-Nav.

This I think is going to be the problem for the Sat-Nav manufacturer.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You can already get this for mobiles but they are pretty basic.. no map view I've found yet and they tend to be pretty poor in the daylight on most windscreens. I think some French cars have something built in for speed etc but it uses a slide up perspex screen rather than the actual windscreen
As soon as the demand is there the tech will get better. Pilots have it so just needs to be mass produced for the car markey

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Google maps also uses live and historic road speed data to support routing.. I believe this is available as a subscription service on some dedicated devices but the live feed back to the server from a smart phone makes it easier to build it in as part of the concept

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Even with updated maps my garmin does not know about every road so it would be nice if it could learn and when I drive on a new road it remembered it. From experience it doesn't do this.

The Tomtom does learn to some extent as far as I can work out.
Every time I connect the thing to the computer for updates ( sometimes 2 or 3 times a week ) it not only downloads but does a wee upload too.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
App for finding golf balls in the rough, now that would make me buy a smart phone. (not placed there by myself of course :whistle: ) :)

PS there are gps devices available that calculate fairway yardages on just about any golf course. Does anyone know if there is an app for smart phones that do similar ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'd like TOM TOM to improve its screens. The touch sensitive stuff is 10 years behind the times and not very responsive at all. Sometimes keying in addresses is the hardest part of the journey.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'd like TOM TOM to improve its screens. The touch sensitive stuff is 10 years behind the times and not very responsive at all. Sometimes keying in addresses is the hardest part of the journey.

Try a Garmin motorcycle one Jim !! Now they really are fun to say the least !!!

Sometimes the skin on my digits is so dry I cannot even get the iPad to respond.. Garmin screens ( on occasion ) can be a total nightmare ( for me !! )

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think TomTom is taking the p***. They're resting on their laurels as market leader. They use a resistive touch screen (disappeared from anything else more than 5 years ago), updates are abysmally slow, the CPU is slow & it has 'black & white' routing (two options - fastest and shortest). fastest is what you would expect but shortest is line-of-sight and will lead you through a 20mph housing estate complete with speed humps to save a couple of hundred yards. Microsoft AutoRoute is miles ahead with its preference sliders which it used even before Microsoft bought it.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
App for finding golf balls in the rough, now that would make me buy a smart phone. (not placed there by myself of course :whistle: ) :)

PS there are gps devices available that calculate fairway yardages on just about any golf course. Does anyone know if there is an app for smart phones that do similar ?
See here put this in Google

golf gps app

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Wouldn't be surprised if sat navs (dedicated and mobile phone) start giving advertising for local food \ fuel \ shopping outlets as you approach them! Heaven forbid!

That would only be a tiny step if any of them wanted to do it. You can already have graphical POIs so it wouldn't take much to have something flash up as you approached one. I suppose people may argue that it would be a distraction/safety issue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back