Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
When we do the 24 hour Santander crossing can we leave the fridge/freezer on gas on the ferry. Never bothered before but new MH has a bigger freezer compartment, putting quite a bit in it.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I always thought the gas had to be off on the ferry
Not much help to you I guess but we fill our tiny freezer compartment with cold box ice blocks so we don't have to worry about the fresh food when the fridge can't be on... Mind you, I only just fitted a spot charge and haven't wired the fridge yet...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kcy
OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I always thought the gas had to be off on the ferry
Not much help to you I guess but we fill our tiny freezer compartment with cold box ice blocks so we don't have to worry about the fresh food when the fridge can't be on... Mind you, I only just fitted a spot charge and haven't wired the fridge yet...
Ye I thought it had to be turned off too, just checking. Might try the ice blocks, thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can't use gas but you can use the on-board EHU and run on leccy..

From another thread...http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/santander-ferry.81846/#post-965343

Santander Ferry has ehu on board ok I have used the ehu both ways just ask when you arrive at the check in desk then while you are waiting to board see one of the loaders outside usually standing at front of queue with walki talkie and ask him to arrange for ehu when you drive on board, but make sure you have continental plug and plenty of cable, they normally have plenty of ehu on the truck deck as loads of fridge trucks have to use the ehu Hope this helps, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Another thing to do is to (partially) fill plastic bottles with water, freeze them at home & put in the van fridge/freezer. That will keep things cold & you'll have fresh water when you arrive.

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Can't use gas but you can use the on-board EHU and run on leccy..

From another thread...http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/santander-ferry.81846/#post-965343

Santander Ferry has ehu on board ok I have used the ehu both ways just ask when you arrive at the check in desk then while you are waiting to board see one of the loaders outside usually standing at front of queue with walki talkie and ask him to arrange for ehu when you drive on board, but make sure you have continental plug and plenty of cable, they normally have plenty of ehu on the truck deck as loads of fridge trucks have to use the ehu Hope this helps, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
Thanks for pointing out t'other thread

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have done this crossing many times, and I can confirm gas has to be switched off. I have never asked about an EHU to be honest. We use 4 freezer packs, while we are in the check in queue we put them into the fridge part. So far we have never had any problems, everything seems to remain fairly cool.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We used EHU last year. Just ask the chap who parks you up.

You will need a long lead though and the 2 pin plug.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
When we do the 24 hour Santander crossing can we leave the fridge/freezer on gas on the ferry. Never bothered before but new MH has a bigger freezer compartment, putting quite a bit in it.

Definitely Not , clearly states in the rules that all gas appliances must be turned of .
why stock up in Spain at the nearest Mercadona where the produce is just as good
if not better than UK supermarkets

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We just had a couple of freezer packs in the freezer compartment and ran the fridge for a good 24 hours with the temperature turned well down before we left when we used this route a couple of months ago. Everything stayed cold enough but any ice cubes would probably have melted so empty the ice tray.

I wouldn't bother with EHU and I am not sure it is available on every deck. I had a look round out of interest on our return journey to Portsmouth and couldn't see an electric socket anywhere.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Definitely Not , clearly states in the rules that all gas appliances must be turned of .
why stock up in Spain at the nearest Mercadona where the produce is just as good
if not better than UK supermarkets

And much cheaper...BUSBY

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Switch gas off. The ferry can put you on electric hook up. They do it for the large refrigerated lorries.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The reason for no gas onboard the ferry is simple: Take a moment to remove the lower vent behind the fridge on the outside of your MH when the fridge is running on gas. You'll see a naked flame very close to the vent grille. Now imagine the vehicle next to you on the ferry has a fuel leak. Boom. Aargh. Instant 'Titanic' re-enactment in the Bay of Biscay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back