Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
I have now fitted a scooter rack to my bessacarr e495 and i am in the process of looking at lightweight scooters. We are only looking at short range trips and I have a bike license so a 125cc one is probably what I want for the both of us. I have seen a couple, Yamaha Vity at 110kg, Peugeot Sum-Up at 115kg.

My criteria I suppose is just lightweight and with crash helmet storage under the seat for one of the crash helmets and a top box for the other

Has anyone got any thoughts or suggestions or even just post the name of your scooter that you carry?.

Many thanks in advance
Kev

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I have had a Piaggio Fly 125 scooter for 3 years, just coming up to its first MOT. We have used it in the Alps as well as at various campsites in France, Italy and Sicily ( up Mount Etna ).

It carries the 2 of us effortlessly up very steep hills, (our combined weight is 23 stone).

It has a large underseat storage compartment which takes my extra large helmet ::bigsmile:. The seat locks in position.

The topbox takes my wife's helmet along with gloves and scarves and various bits and bobs. The topbox will carry an amazing amount of shopping. It also has a lockable quick release and lockable lid. I take this off when we are travelling between sites.

It also has an easy to put on/take off windshield which makes a tremendous difference when it's a bit chilly or raining. I take this off when it is on the back of the M/H and it travels inside the upturned satellite dish in the main storage area in the overcab.

Phil.

iain4702

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
East Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
scooter racks

Any suggestions recommendations for the fitting of scooter rack for my new Bessacar E560:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any suggestions recommendations for the fitting of scooter rack for my new Bessacar E560:Smile:

Have you done Stage 1 ?

Google the rack maker who supplies the formula for loading calculations or go back to school days and take moments about the rear axle and work out if you can carry the weight of a scooter.

This is why our little Burstner has 2 electric bikes on the back - the front wheels would be pawing the air with the weight of a scooter on the back.

The bikes are fun and very healthy.

Brian.

OP
OP
bmwtouring

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
iain4702,
Go to the top of the page and do a search on "scooter rack", there is loads on this site
kev

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word,
which means more to me than any other.
That word is ENGLAND."
kev

Not good times for you then.

I've got used to the idea that it's past it's sellby date. Mind you with "bmwtouring" you've decided to move on from a Morris Minor.

Brian.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron W

I have carried a Peugeot Speedfight 100cc, which is more than enough for 2 ,for many years now on a Compass Drifter 410. The secret is to make sure the carrier is not too heavy, in some cases the carrier is almost the weight of the bike. My carrier is my own design to over come the weight problem, at the time there was no carrier on the market that could be fitted to the rear of my van and stay below the weight limit.
My scooter is about 98kg, rack about 17kg so the affect on the rear wheels is about 230kg, ( the rack being 2 metres from the wheel centres)
I have removed the bed over the cab and use this volume for carrying gear that I would normally load into the rear lockers. This has obviously balanced the vehicle better with more weight on the front wheels.The weigh bridge tickets have indicated a better balance.
This excercise has forced us to look seriously at the gear we carry, the overcab bed we don't use so its gone in store, we don't have a pullout awning to save on weight, we carry very little water in the rear tank just enough from site to site, ( how often do we see vans being filled up with water unnecessarily for a journey ), we carry only lightweight breathing groundsheets. Most of our overhead lockers are almost empty of unnecessary items such as excess clothes, shoes, food, ( all supermarkets are the same on the continent as in the UK so why carry). Naturally we worry we have left something we need for our normal 3 months away overseas but take the view that any item can be bought, up to now no problems over many years.
I have know doubt many on the forum have seen the the item in the paper where an English chap was stopped by the Spanish police near Alicanti and weighed. He was over weight and fined on the spot 3500 E , obviously he couldn't pay on the spot so he had to go to the bank to collect nthe money before they let him go, without decreasing his load. It was reported that he may be due some part of the money back in time, that was not seen by me in future papers, some other members might have done.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
an old xt 250 trail bike not a scoot but handy bit more power for 2 up

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
We carry a Honda Innova 125 which weighs in at just under 100Kg. It's a great little bike and copes fine with 2 on :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, when we had scoters we had Italjet 125, they no longer make them, but they go like hell. You will have to do your home work, because its a job with the weights. We had to take loads of things out to get it right, and it was still very tight. ::bigsmile:

Our Kontiki had a very light rack, and its rear bathroom so not so much stuff stored at the back, as there would be if we had end lounge, and our scooter was 106kg plus 2 helmets ect, and if we had any water on board it put us over weight.:RollEyes:

If I were you I would : ( 1 ) decide what bike and how much it weighs plus helmets ect.
( 2 ) weigh van fully loaded with you in it.
( 3 ) contact someone like this:

Watling Engineers - Towbars for Motorhomes - Motorhome towbars - Ace, Adria, Alko, Autocruise, Auto-Sleepers, Auto-Trail, Benimar, Bessacarr, Burstner, CI, Compass, Dethleffs, Elddis, Hymer, Knaus, Mobilvetta, Pilote, Reimo, Roller Team, Romahome, Sw

And let them work out if it is possiible, then have it fitted, put your scooter on and weigh it.
Good Luck. Bob.:thumb:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Honda SH125i -
Both rider and pilion seats are comfortable even for persons of more generous proportions (and I do mean me).
It has large wheels compared to most scooters which make it more "bike like" and stable on the road.
Has storage for a cap type helmet under the seat and a full face in the back box.
The engine is good enough for two (ample) folk and we have also carried about 60 litres of water in various containers.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Looking at the options have you thought of a sideloading M/bike trailer, as they take lot of weight off the back axle. you will still have some noseweight but as the axle of the trailer is only about metre away from the rear of M/H it may solve the problem,

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Don't think I'll change my trike. Quite happy with that

Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
We have a peugeot tweet 125cc bought new 2013, 110kg it has been all over europe has never failed to start, plenty of power for two up driving , i have been thinking of upgrading but have been very happy why change ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I bought a 2016 lexmoto matador 125 a few months back for £600 ... don't notice it on the back.

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Are there any SH125 or SH350 owners going to Newark Retro meeting this month? Would love to meet up for a chat.

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Dooow - A senior moment for Newark please read Newbury Reto Festival 12-14 Aug 22.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back