New MH Extras (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
picked up new MH yesterday having fun putting back in all the buts and pieces. Need to install either Gaslow or Autogas. Really fancy under slung tank but can't find anyone in the westcountry installing these. Should I bother with the tank or go for the bottle system.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How long is a piece of string ?

Bottles - easy DIY.
Underslung - you get a free locker.

Functionally identical and a really good idea.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Hi jemhorn me old beauty.
I bought and fitted Gaslow very easy anybody with DIY knowledge can, if I can anybody can!!
If you decide to go down the Gaslow route I know a firm who will give you excellent prices. pm me.
colyboy (east Deon)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Congratualtions on the new van !! Always a lot of fun getting things back how you like them !!

If like us you tend to stay away on one site during winter ( or any other time come to that ) then go for the bottle option from Alugas.
They supply with an option that allows you to witch the pig tail to a standard bottle..
In our case that is actually a Spanish bottle with an adaptor ( and the gas man comes round once a week on the site we stay on )

If we had an underslung tank we would have to decamp, do a round trip of about 40 miles to get a refill

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Congratualtions on the new van !! Always a lot of fun getting things back how you like them !!

If like us you tend to stay away on one site during winter ( or any other time come to that ) then go for the bottle option from Alugas.
They supply with an option that allows you to witch the pig tail to a standard bottle..
In our case that is actually a Spanish bottle with an adaptor ( and the gas man comes round once a week on the site we stay on )

We do exactly this with our GasLow bottles..never take them out, we have the GasLow filler pipe that attaches to the GasLow system and connects to an external 'Alien' system via the different countries gas connector adaptor's, perfect for long term camping

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do you need either? There is a high capital cost to recover when you buy either. If you tour Europe extensively then it is worth considering for convenience. However, if you stay in the UK where obtaining bottled gas is relatively easy, it is an expense that you may not need.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Do you need either? There is a high capital cost to recover when you buy either. If you tour Europe extensively then it is worth considering for convenience. However, if you stay in the UK where obtaining bottled gas is relatively easy, it is an expense that you may not need.

Ah, but we all know that when you buy a new motorhome, it's not what you NEED, it's what you WANT. :sneaky:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a 55 litre underslung I just fill it 2 - 3 times a season and we use that van a lot, the bonus is I have an extra locker, it was the right choice for me but it comes down to an extent to cost vs how long you intend to keep the van and of course how much you can afford to spend

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ah, but we all know that when you buy a new motorhome, it's not what you NEED, it's what you WANT. :sneaky:
True so very true, which is so often why people that arrive in our shop at Cornish Farm, having never bought a motorhome before, often get told to "suck it and see" before buying some things.

Obviously, if their experienced "old salts" we assume that they know "whats what" lol

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Best of both worlds!

We had an underslung tank fitted by Autogas 2000 a few years back and would not now want to be without it.
For the convenience of topping up with lpg at any time and not having to wait for an empty cylinder to exchange, not having to lift cylinders and having an extra locker an underslung tank can't be beaten imo.
However we have also kept the original regulator setup in the gas locker, so should we be on site for an extended period we could always connect a cylinder if necessary to save moving the vehicle.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
True so very true, which is so often why people that arrive in our shop at Cornish Farm, having never bought a motorhome before, often get told to "suck it and see" before buying some things.

Obviously, if their experienced "old salts" we assume that they know "whats what" lol
I'm a newbie and defiantly going to Spain/Portugal for 2 to 3 months shortly, I see a Gazit system as a need would you still advise "suck it and see" under those circumstances?
I'm a Yorkshireman so don' like spending if I don't have to:whistle:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I'm a newbie and defiantly going to Spain/Portugal for 2 to 3 months shortly, I see a Gazit system as a need would you still advise "suck it and see" under those circumstances?
I'm a Yorkshireman so don' like spending if I don't have to:whistle:
No, if your travelling around Europe in the Winter then a gas system that will allow you to "hop across" boarders would be useful.

Just make sure that you have a list of LPG stations in Spain though, as it's no good having a tank or Gaslow bottles if you can't find anywhere to get them filled

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
An underslung gas tank is on my 'wish list' for the hymer,.......as others have already said, as a bonus it free's up the outside locker

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm a newbie and defiantly going to Spain/Portugal for 2 to 3 months shortly

Just to confuse the issue you pick the worst place for LPG stations ( not sure about Portugal ). You can fill in Spain but you could be a good distance away. If touring not a problem, just fill when passing one.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Freeing up the outside locker is only a bonus if you have surplus payload.

My gas locker now has two shelves that hold numerous boxes of bits and adapters plus two warning triangles and a large torque wrench.
Also a large double burner BBQ and legs
25 metre extension cable
10 metre hose pipe
various short hoses and connectors.

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just to confuse the issue you pick the worst place for LPG stations ( not sure about Portugal ). You can fill in Spain but you could be a good distance away. If touring not a problem, just fill when passing one.
Portugal has many, many LPG stations, nearly every motorway service area has an LPG pump. Spain, awful.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Fit a Gas-it 11ltr bottle. And as said, everytime you see a GPL garage, top it up !! Remember though, that the gas bottle gauge only starts to work when the bottle reaches HALF FULL. Good luck..

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Eat out and stay home in the winter! you wont need any gas then simples:)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Twin 6 kilo system with auto change over ordered yesterday. Phoned up and discussed what I needed before ordering, the gentleman on the other end of the phone was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
Just got a message from the courier saying it will be delivers this afternoon.

Well done Gas-It:clap:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Perhaps its because we don't have electric heating / cooking but we have found that having refillable gas bottle has saved us money. We do go away a lot in winter which would also up our consumption. I estimated that the Alugas bottle installation had paid for itself within a year. As we are usually holidaying in France the reserve bottle is a La Cube which is widely available in France and also has the benefit of being lightweight.

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Thanks everyone. Decision has been made its going to be refillable gas bottles. Off to see Eddie at VanBlitz early December and will probably take up the offer of free overnight just to try out the new MH. Baltic Wharf has been booked for later in December. Hopefully Bristol Christmas Markets will be worth a visit.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is not intended to do that but no doubt if the pressure/volume is greater in the external tank it will equalise.
I will be decanting as much as possible from my old underslung into the new one so I can leak test it before a full fill. The tank has a test certificate but means FA to me! I once bought a brand new Gaslow with a cert and it leaked big time.

The hose is meant to feed the gas from an external bottle through your empty tank and it's regulator.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back