Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Folks,

My supplier is delivering my new Motorhome to my house. They have intimated that payment is expected prior to delivery but I am very uncomfortable with that. I have sent them an e-mail stating that I will not pay until I have seen the MH, checked it over, had a test drive and have gone through the full handover. I don’t want to get into a bun fight with them so have suggested that I can have my bank give them confidence that I have cleared funds awaiting transfer. I have also stated that I can transfer one half of the money before 10pm on the delivery day i.e. after the handover etc. and the balance at 10:01pm so that it all basically clears the same day (only takes max 2 hours to clear). That means they do not have to wait too long for their money, almost instant really. I think that is fair, what do you think and what would you do?

Cheers,

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Personally.. I always collect rather than have delivered.
if there is a problem the driver will be just that, a driver and will not be able to owt..
You can then do an electronic transfer whilst there if you are happy with everything.
Nowadays such transfers are done in minutes rather than hours, but even if it does take two hours, you can spend the time doing your own inspection without them looking over your shoulder.. have a cuppa in their show room and the time will simply fly by..

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Tell him to bog of! You will pay....like everything else that you pay for, when you know what you are getting and that it is in the condition you expect! End of, after all the worst thing that can happen is that you buy some other place and its not as if it is a small amount of money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, I too would collect it from the dealer and I certainly would not hand over any money at all prior to receipt and being happy with it. If you find a problem and reject the vehicle how on earth would you get the money back than you had pre-paid???

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Jaws, it's the sales guy who will be delivering, made sure of that before signing the deal. Dealer is a 450 miles from us so it is better to have it delivered. We have sorted out a deal with any warranty issues which will be done locally so wasn't concerned with the distance, just having to take planes, trains and automobiles to pick it up.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
K mate.. I understand.. 450 miles is indeed a long trot and of course he is gonna have to pay for the diesel too

But no matter what, do NOT make the full payment up front..
I regularly have to get involved with people who buy bikes at a distance and you would be amazed at the oft laughable excuses for a later delivery and or the bike not being as it was before it left the dealer !!

When we swapped vans in April it was a 480 mile round trip for us.. But there is no way I would have had it any other way..
I always try to see the best in folk but am equally always sussy when several grand are involved !

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Folks,

My supplier is delivering my new Motorhome to my house. They have intimated that payment is expected prior to delivery but I am very uncomfortable with that. I have sent them an e-mail stating that I will not pay until I have seen the MH, checked it over, had a test drive and have gone through the full handover. I don’t want to get into a bun fight with them so have suggested that I can have my bank give them confidence that I have cleared funds awaiting transfer. I have also stated that I can transfer one half of the money before 10pm on the delivery day i.e. after the handover etc. and the balance at 10:01pm so that it all basically clears the same day (only takes max 2 hours to clear). That means they do not have to wait too long for their money, almost instant really. I think that is fair, what do you think and what would you do?

Cheers,

Steve
Think about it in another way , have you ever purchased a car from a dealer, if so what was the procedure...most car dealer's will not deliver to your home/ business (if they do ) until they have received a hire purchase deposit or full payment

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry.. just checked the log and it was ONLY 376 miles not 480 !

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I agree with Jaws. We are travelling from Cornwall to West Sussex to collect our new MH next Spring. No money will be handed over until I am completely happy. Another thing; I am not prepared to let somebody else drive my expensive new acquisition before I've even laid eyes on it.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
When I collected my MH is was 600 km each way, for loads of money I will travel a looooong way, when I saw the MH and thought it was good, we went to the bank and I transferred the money into his account, job done.

I say as the rest of posts, do NOT pay up front!! Even if you are Caesar :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we change a previous van for another, we travelled down from Hull to Highbridge in Somerset, a round trip of 500+ miles - the dealer was surprised that we were willing to do so when we did the deal with him as most people won't.

Even if it had been offered, there's no way we would have 'allowed' anyone from the dealer's to drive OUR new motorhome up the motorway etc to us ... having seen how some dealers' staff drive MHs on the motorway to/from shows there's no way I'd let them cover even 10 miles in mine!

Perhaps instead of them delivering to you, it would be better to get a discount instead to cover your travel costs and go and get it yourself?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We bought ours from a company in Guildford and we live in Dumfries, we like you had checked with local company regarding the warranty both dealers spoke too each other about any small niggles I might have.
We drove down to collect and arranged with dealer to stay over on their forecourt so I could test everything worked ok, we paid using debit card with no issues and I had refused to pay more than £250 deposit.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Looks like it might be best for me to pick it up. I can, as you say, stay locally then if there are any niggles then I can highlight them. Just for info, I have no intention of parting with my money prior to getting my hands on the van (y). Thanks for your input.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I think you have your answer, try to think of it as a little holiday where you get to try out your new van on the way home. (y)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We collected as well. Just paid with debit card on the day when satisfied all was ok with van. Just had money transferred to account the day before and told bank what was happening to avoid any hassle on the day. Very simple and everything went to plan. When I got the keys. They got the money(y). I didn't realise that you could pay so much with a debit card.

Deleted User
If it is a car or a MH the dealer will have to register the vehicle before handing over to yourselves. What they don't want is for you to reject the vehicle even if you have reasons to do so because this puts the dealer in a difficult position of being left with a pre registered vehicle. On a rare occasion of purchasing a new vehicle I was asked to fill in all the forms and make payment before being shown the vehicle and it was for the same reason.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Flew down from Glasgow to East Midlands (£30 - way less than the cost of fuel for the car). Dealer collected from airport. Paid by debit card.
Did the same when buying the car except train to Warrington (£25 for two of us).
Never pay in advance.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I was very unhappy with the dealer we bought from, they insisted on payment up front, would not take a debit card and insisted on a bank transfer several days in advance, which they then took many days to confirm receipt. I only proceeded with the purchase because it was secondhand and under the £30,000 cut off for credit card back up. (I had paid the deposit by credit card) Will never use Marquis Motorhomes again

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess the OP must have paid a deposit? If not and t
Looks like it might be best for me to pick it up. I can, as you say, stay locally then if there are any niggles then I can highlight them. Just for info, I have no intention of parting with my money prior to getting my hands on the van (y). Thanks for your input.
If you look at it from viewpoint of the dealer I am sure they would prefer you to come to them if the alternative is a 450 mile trip with no guarantee of a sale at the end.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Can only add my support to the pay on collection view. Once they have your cash you have little in the way of leverage to get anything done to your satisfaction. Also if there is a major issue, you can walk away.

Good luck

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Out to Germany next May to collect our new Flair. You have a relationship with your seller which is a 2 way street, if a reputable dealer, you have to have confidence in him and visa versa. So a previous post has flamed marquis, does a good dealer want this? No he does not. If you feel uncomfortable with a dealer then walk away. I am travelling 600 miles to my dealer to collect, I WANT to spend time with him, I want him to be comfortable with me, I want to get beyond duty warranty support; he wants you to tell the world he is great and worthy of a chance. Yes you have to be careful in this day and age, but a crook normally shows his colours if you look and listen, a good guy will shine through. We do not know your full story, but if you said I want it delivered hundreds of miles away, do you not think he would want his money first, I would and you would if the boot was on the other foot. Me I would go and collect and build a relationship of trust and respect.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
I am picking up a used car shortly. I am insured to drive it. Payment will be by Debit card but the dealer states I will have to register it myself! Is this ok?(n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As a used car you won't have to 'register' it as such, just complete the transfer of registration documentation (V5), you send your bit off and they send their bit off to the DVLA.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Perhaps using the word 'Register' was wrong! - I am expected to pay the Road fund licence myself at the local post office (or on-line) with the V5C/2 form! :confused:

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Out to Germany next May to collect our new Flair. You have a relationship with your seller which is a 2 way street, if a reputable dealer, you have to have confidence in him and visa versa. So a previous post has flamed marquis, does a good dealer want this? No he does not. If you feel uncomfortable with a dealer then walk away. I am travelling 600 miles to my dealer to collect, I WANT to spend time with him, I want him to be comfortable with me, I want to get beyond duty warranty support; he wants you to tell the world he is great and worthy of a chance. Yes you have to be careful in this day and age, but a crook normally shows his colours if you look and listen, a good guy will shine through. We do not know your full story, but if you said I want it delivered hundreds of miles away, do you not think he would want his money first, I would and you would if the boot was on the other foot. Me I would go and collect and build a relationship of trust and respect.
Supplier offered to deliver, said it was all part of the service but obviously at a cost although very reasonable.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Perhaps using the word 'Register' was wrong! - I am expected to pay the Road fund licence myself at the local post office (or on-line) with the V5C/2 form! :confused:
Yes, I think that is correct. The system has changed in as much as the remaining VED can no longer be sold with the vehicle. In the past a motor dealer has been able to obtain VED for you as your agent but with the new system I am not sure that is still the case.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I guess the OP must have paid a deposit? If not and t

If you look at it from viewpoint of the dealer I am sure they would prefer you to come to them if the alternative is a 450 mile trip with no guarantee of a sale at the end.
Can't think why they would think that there would be no sale if the goods are as advertised. With respect to their preference, they suggested delivery.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Think about it in another way , have you ever purchased a car from a dealer, if so what was the procedure...most car dealer's will not deliver to your home/ business (if they do ) until they have received a hire purchase deposit or full payment
You are correct, that has been the case when I have had cars delivered.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't think why they would think that there would be no sale if the goods are as advertised. With respect to their preference, they suggested delivery.
And I am sure the dealer is expecting a sale if they are prepared to do a 900 mile round trip if you decide not to accept the vehicle.

But what has the dealer said? Are they still coming with no money up front? If they won't come could you offer say to retain 10% to be paid on the day?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back