max rig length (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
does anyone know what the maximum length for motorhome and trailer is in the UK.

desperate to sell my caravan so have agreed to deliver the caravan for the cost of fuel if the guy buys it.

the kontiki is around 24ft and the caravan is also 24ft.
the kontiki is 3.85 ton so the allowed length may be different to a regular car/caravan outfit.

cheers

john.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You very often see a big caravan being towed by a recovery,AA RAC Etc, Ive done it myself about 54foot total:Eeek: never gave maximum length a 2nd thought:Doh:
Geo

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Don't know if this helps:

27 November 2006
Across the EU, the harmonised weight for international transport is 40 tonnes at a maximum length of 16.5m for articulated vehicles and 18.75m for drawbar combinations.

For domestic transport, the UK’s maximum goods vehicle weight is 44 tonnes with the same maximum dimensions.
:Smile:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You very often see a big caravan being towed by a recovery,AA RAC Etc, Ive done it myself about 54foot total:Eeek: never gave maximum length a 2nd thought:Doh:
Geo

me too Geo,

large merc (410?) specframe with a 23ft motorhome hook on, scarborough to warwick......i was sh**ing meself.:Blush:
pulled into the m/way services and parked with the HGV's.....only 5ft in length between us :whatthe:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't know if this helps:

27 November 2006
Across the EU, the harmonised weight for international transport is 40 tonnes at a maximum length of 16.5m for articulated vehicles and 18.75m for drawbar combinations.

For domestic transport, the UK’s maximum goods vehicle weight is 44 tonnes with the same maximum dimensions.
:Smile:
Keith

should be ok at around 14.75 meters then :thumb::thumb:
just getting round the scottish lanes....:Doh:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Maximum length of motorhome plus towed vehicle

Taken from the Motorcaravan Law Section <Link Removed>

There are limits to the maximum dimensions of road vehicles. These rules are unlikely to affect domestic or European-built motorhomes but if, say, you are contemplating importing a giant RV from America you will need to check that it is no longer than 12m (39ft 4in) and no wider than 2.55m (8ft 4in).

There seems to be no general UK height limit, but any vehicle, including a motorcaravan, over 3m (9ft 10in) high must have a notice in its cab, displaying that height.

If you tow a trailer with your motorhome which has a maximum gross weight of under 3500kg, then the trailer must be no more than 7m (22ft 111/2in) long and 2.3m (7ft 61/2in) wide.

To tow a trailer above those limits, the tow vehicle must weigh more than 3500kg (maximum gross weight).

You say that the Kontiki is 3.85 tons and the trailer is 24ft - then you are legal!

Just to add one more thing be sure that you have the correct markings on the back of the trailer. See <here>

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Taken from the Motorcaravan Law Section <Link Removed>

To tow a trailer above those limits, the tow vehicle must weigh more than 3500kg (maximum gross weight).

quote]

cheers Dick,
no problems there then......3850kg.
as for the lighting.....i'll just stick with whats on already.
pike......sorry, travellers get away with the existing lights so i'll take my chances.

john.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Take your numberplate's off and have a tarmac sign hanging round and you'll be fine::bigsmile:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Or, some flashing Fairy Lights, spinning teacup or bobbing horses ----
Showmen are exempt from every piece of transport legislation :winky:

An example:
Showman’s goods vehicles & trailers. Showman’s goods vehicles are exempt from operator’s licensing, if they are classed as showman’s goods vehicles for the purposes of paying vehicle excise duty. This is because the exemption from the operator’s licensing system is linked by para 3(2) to part 1 to Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995, to the definition of showman’s goods vehicle in Section 62 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994. This is defined as a goods vehicle that is permanently fitted with a living van or some other special type of body or superstructure, forming part of the equipment of the show of the person whose name is registered under the 1994 Act. It must also be a vehicle registered under the 1994 Act, in the name of the person following the business of a travelling showman and where he is the sole user of the vehicle, for the purposes of his business and for no other purpose.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
does anyone know what the maximum length for motorhome and trailer is in the UK.

desperate to sell my caravan so have agreed to deliver the caravan for the cost of fuel if the guy buys it.

the kontiki is around 24ft and the caravan is also 24ft.
the kontiki is 3.85 ton so the allowed length may be different to a regular car/caravan outfit.

cheers

john.

Will the combined van and caravan be withing the gross train weight.?

This may not be so as most motorhomes have a maximum trailer weight of 2000 kg or less, many of them very much less..

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Will the combined van and caravan be withing the gross train weight.?

This may not be so as most motorhomes have a maximum trailer weight of 2000 kg or less, many of them very much less..

well under Doug,

kontiki has a max train of 5500kg. gross of 3850kg and the caravan is 1265kg.

all immaterial now as the buyer pulled out.:cry:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Sorry to hear that - better luck next time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back