Autocruise Moved?? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Have just heard yesterday from a national dealer that Swift have closed the Autocruise factory at Swinton and moved production to Hull. A very nice Christmas present was given to the staff, the sack. I assume all the Autocruise customers will be receiving new telephone numbers for service.
Can anyone confirm our deny? as this is normally a reliable source of information??
Wiljoy:thumb:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Have just heard yesterday from a national dealer that Swift have closed the Autocruise factory at Swinton and moved production to Hull. A very nice Christmas present was given to the staff, the sack. I assume all the Autocruise customers will be receiving new telephone numbers for service.
Can anyone confirm our deny? as this is normally a reliable source of information??

You must be joking - what service????? We took delivery of our Motorhome 3 weeks after Autocruise was bought out last year, the factory is about half a mile from our house but we have received no service whatsoever and have had to fight with Peugeot to get the water ingress into the engine sorted, and problems with a non standard window which was fitted - they failed to realise that they did not have a window blind and surround to match! We had to wait nearly 4 months to get it sorted. We love our motorhome, but Autocruise unfortunately wont be missed by its customers, who it seemed ceased to be of interest to them last year.

I do feel sorry for the people made redundant; it used to be a very productive factory. Autocruise took over from the Bessacar factory in Swinton many years ago, fortunately a significant number of the employees have seen the writing on the wall and left during the year for other jobs.

Ginny and Mike

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
i also live local but have not read or heard if they have closed .
nothing in local paper yet .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Water Ingress

Teasy 2007 - When you say Water Ingress sorted by Peugeot can you give a brief explanation as to what they did, we have the engine cover and centre join sealed,a drain pipe on the offside of the scuttle but water can still enter via the drains right and left of the windscreen wipers.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
warick have a look at this Link Removed
will help :thumb:

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Any other water ingress cures?

The water ingress problem has been around since the new cab arrived. My Peugeot was cured by my local dealer with a measure no one else has mentioned. After he noticed my home made cure he had fabricated a chamber connected to the wiper mount and a metre long drain pipe directed to the engine rear, no more problems. I assume this was manufactured by Peugeot as it is very well made and not the sort of thing a dealer would suffer the expense of having manufactured. Any thoughts? John Cross may know.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Teasy 2007 - When you say Water Ingress sorted by Peugeot can you give a brief explanation as to what they did, we have the engine cover and centre join sealed,a drain pipe on the offside of the scuttle but water can still enter via the drains right and left of the windscreen wipers.

Hi Warwick, we were so fed up with Peugeot - after having the scuttle 'sealed' by two peugeot dealers and still finding water in the injectors - we eventually asked a Vauxhall dealership to order a drip tray and pipe to take the water away from the centre seal. They ordered it from Peugeot Sheffield, after the other two Peugeot dealers said there was no such thing!! In the end I sent the invoice with a covering letter to Peugeot and they sent me a cheque for the £35.

You say you have the engine cover, is your cab a Peugeot or Fiat. The reason I ask is that Peugeot have categorically refused to fit the engine cover, although I know Fiat are fitting it to new cabs.

As for the drains right and left of the windscreen wipers, that is still a problem. We have to make sure the holes in the drains don't become blocked, otherwise water just sits there and goes nowhere.

These problems have been a pain, certainly not what you would expect from spending so much money on a brand new motorhome.

Ginny and Mike

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks for the link David - it is a great shame that Peugeot are no where near as concerned about their customers as are Fiat!!!!!!

Surely if it is the same engine, with the same fault, Peugeot should provide the same 'fix' ie engine cover, as their far superior Fiat competitor!

Ginny and Mike

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The water ingress problem has been around since the new cab arrived. My Peugeot was cured by my local dealer with a measure no one else has mentioned. After he noticed my home made cure he had fabricated a chamber connected to the wiper mount and a metre long drain pipe directed to the engine rear, no more problems. I assume this was manufactured by Peugeot as it is very well made and not the sort of thing a dealer would suffer the expense of having manufactured. Any thoughts? John Cross may know.

Can you give me some more information on your fix for the wiper problem, perhaps a photo??

Mike

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
mike have a look at these post there is a photo on it .you will need a 20mm pipe connector and some pipe .i am going to do this asap when it is warmer .
here. Link Removed

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Hi Wiljoy,

The office side of the factory at Swinton has closed, all telephone enquiries are directed to Swift on the website.

The factory itself is still in operation, for how long who knows!!

Ginny and Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back