honey (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have been given three commercial size jars of honey only thing is they went out of date two years ago.
They are still clear with a bit of crystallisation on the bottom
I am going to make sum mead with them I reckon 1 2lb jar per gallon with lemon zest the juse of one lemon hand full of razens and yeas levee to ferment se what happens:Eeek:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I think honey is one of the few things that never goes off Bill so it should be fine to make mead (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought honey never went out of date, in fact didn't know they put a date on it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Honey doesn't go off. It may go solid - if it does and you want it runny then heat it.

Mead sounds good through!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
honey is good preservative,they found some in a pharoahs tomb and it was still palatable.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thought honey never went out of date, in fact didn't know they put a date on it
I don't know never even looked to be honest just tane his word for it
bill

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sounds like a good plan.
I've just made some cosmetics ( lotion bars, foot treatment bars, hand and foot scrubs, face cream and soap) no food in the fridge-- full of that lot.
I was reading about more things I can make using honey ( oatmeal and honey face pack sounds good)
Always think honeys a bit of a miracle--little bees and tiny amounts of pollen= honey. How does that work?

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
have never ever looked for the use by date on anything canned, bottled or in a jar if it's unopened and not damaged, as the whole point of putting it in those things is to give a very long storage life, and that can be years and years..
it's only when they're opened and the air gets into them that they start to deteriorate..

it's such a waste how much perfectly good food is thrown away because it's a day or two after it's date..

what did people do in the days before we had these things date stamped?

enjoy your mead bill, it'll be fine.. :)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
Sounds like a good plan.
I've just made some cosmetics ( lotion bars, foot treatment bars, hand and foot scrubs, face cream and soap) no food in the fridge-- full of that lot.
I was reading about more things I can make using honey ( oatmeal and honey face pack sounds good)
Always think honeys a bit of a miracle--little bees and tiny amounts of pollen= honey. How does that work?

love honey, and honey products, it's also a brilliant healer on wounds as it kills off bacteria..

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Haven't a clue about the honey Bill but send me a bottle of that mead when its done and I will scientifically test it for you ....one sip at a time :)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Under EU law all consumables must have a sell by date and I think the longest allowed is about 3 years. Honey in a sealed jar will never go off any crystallisation will disappear if left in a warm area such as an airing cupboard for a while. Mead - lovely if you like a sweet wine

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What about if it has been opened, Bill..

The times Judy has ditched a jar, cos it`s out of date or gone all crystally..

After it has been opened.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
Under EU law all consumables must have a sell by date and I think the longest allowed is about 3 years. Honey in a sealed jar will never go off any crystallisation will disappear if left in a warm area such as an airing cupboard for a while. Mead - lovely if you like a sweet wine

sadly though, eu law is not necessarily common sense as we all know..

for instance is a bent banana or cucumber less nutritious than a straight one!?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I've never seen honey that has gone off and have seen many jars that were first opened years ago.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Watched a Ray Mears prog and he ate some South African army ration pemmican that was over 60 years old.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

I have spoken to expert today honey is one of natures wonder's it will never rely go off.
It could have been opened gone crystal and will have no bad germs in it has some mysterious property's still not fully under stud by many of the grate scientific minds of the world.
A honey poultice on a festering wood has saved limbs from amputation.
the guy I was talking to today says that there are medicines to still be fund in honey.
It' one of the best things you could eat on a dally basis to prevent allergy's
in children
be believes very strongly in it's heeling property's

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
i

... the chess prosiest was the best

"cheese possessed " it was known as. Empires were built (and lost) on it.

" Babies Heads" was another favourite. Steak and kidney surrounded by a pale pastry which came in a tin. When opened and turned onto a tray they collapsed except for a round end which stood up and looked like the bald head of a baby. Hence the name.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A discovery we made with honey was the wee man had skin problems when we first got him.
We always gave our kids honey from a very young age and never had any problems with asthma or hay fever
Or any of the childhood illnesses to any extent no allergy's of any kind as honey has been in contact with nearly every polin there is from hazel nuts to even fungus spoors.
one of the best anty allergens known to man.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp

Its still OK will only 'go off' if it is contaminated and its not the honey that has gone off its the contaminate that will have gone mouldy. If it gone crystallized then again warm it up - ideally most people use it for sweeting when its crystallised.

Jars of honey for sale should have a seal from the lid and down to the jar. That proves it has not been tampered with.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
A discovery we made with honey was the wee man had skin problems when we first got him.
We always gave our kids honey from a very young age and never had any problems with asthma or hay fever
Or any of the childhood illnesses to any extent no allergy's of any kind as honey has been in contact with nearly every polin there is from hazel nuts to even fungus spoors.
one of the best anty allergens known to man.

The alternative medicine folk reckon that the best effect is from honey produced within a 3 mile radius of your home as the honey will have been produced from plants around you ( bees fly a maximum of 3 miles in any direction from their hives) . We produce honey and have regular customers who buy for exactly that reason. Some who have suffered for years and suddenly find their allergy is under control by taking a spoonful every day.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The alternative medicine folk reckon that the best effect is from honey produced within a 3 mile radius of your home as the honey will have been produced from plants around you ( bees fly a maximum of 3 miles in any direction from their hives) . We produce honey and have regular customers who buy for exactly that reason. Some who have suffered for years and suddenly find their allergy is under control by taking a spoonful every day.
natures ante histamines
and grate for cooking and brewing with

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well the mead continues to ferment with no signed of it slowing down rocet fuel comes to mind
I had some lacquer left over Frome pressing the grain after sparging my last Bach of beer I have put this in a demijohn with half a tin of treacle and 800m of honey let's se what it produces:Eeek: thi I will condition in the bottle once fermentation is complete I expect a ABV 10.78 :drink:
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back