LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Has any member got one of these types of aerial ?

It came on my 5er that was delivered yesterday and I have tried to get a picture through the freeview box to no avail,, I conected direct to the TV and got one channel but not a good picture.. I am at home, in a poor area and have a booster box and a special aerial for all the houshold TV`s on freeview,, got a good picture with the STATUS aerial in the caravan which I have just sold.

I assume they are ok in the states but not in the UK,, am I right..

Another question,, I have had numrous 240 sockets put in the van,, but the old or american type are still there,, I connected a small light to them which had a 25wat bulb,, it lit but not very bright,, is this because it is going through some kind of american system,, and will it hurt if I just up the table lamp to a 40 Watt bulb or am I likely to overload the american socket or wire ?

Thanks in Anticipation.

Attachments

• P1050199.jpg
    P1050199.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 24

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

The aerial is a Winegard , I have the same one but don't use it, others say it works fine on UK free view.. I gave up on terrestrial TV, satellite is far better if your travelling.

The American sockets are 110v fed from the transformer that was installed for the UK conversion.. you can use any 110v appliances or lights.

Edit

Forgot to congratulate on the new toy :thumb:... good luck , safe travels :Smile:

Jim

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you're in a purely digital transmitter area it probably wont work.
should work on anologue signal though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its a table lamp then have a look <<<Link Removed>>>

110v bayonet and screw cap bulbs.

110v 40w £2.45

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
More Info

WINEGARD Aerial - Complete Assembly

Built-in amplifier and unique circuitry give you clear VHF/UHF reception whenever you park your RV. Raise, lower and rotate antenna with hand crank inside your RV. Raise antenna approximately 40” above roof when parked and lower to only 4” for travel. Streamlined embossed wing design for strength and durability. 22-1274 includes antenna and lift assembly, +12 VDC white power supply with on/off switch, white interior control parts, 20’ of 75 ohm coax cable, 6’ TV set cord. 22-1278 includes amplified antenna/lift, ivory interior control parts, no power supply or cable.

ABP Accessories - Your First Choice For Motorhome & RV Accessories - WINEGARD Aerial - Complete Assembly!

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We gave up with the ondoard aerial, tried a couple of mobile type aerials which didn't work very well, now using a high gain house aerial on a mast clamped to the roof ladder and it works a treat ::bigsmile:

Use the satelitte set up when we travel in Europe.

Mick

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
We gave up with the ondoard aerial, tried a couple of mobile type aerials which didn't work very well, now using a high gain house aerial on a mast clamped to the roof ladder and it works a treat ::bigsmile:

Use the satelitte set up when we travel in Europe.

Mick

We use a dish for anything longer than a weekend or on the continent,, but have to take our box and card from home,,

But this beasty we just got came with TV, and DVD/radio/and some kodak thing and a freeview box and that funny aerial,, just thought while it was all fitted will try and get it all to work, the DVD thingy works and the built in DVD in the free view works,, but cannot get the aerial to do anything, or tune the telly into the aerial..

I am afraid to admit it but my wife is more switched on with elemtronics and puters than me.. :Doh:

A kind funster member has offered to talk me through what we have to do,, so hopefully all will be well.

Thanks.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have you powered the thing up:Doh: Mine works A1 with freeview and terrestrial but without power it wont work at all
inside or under a high level cupboard you will find what looks like a spare aerial socket it shout have a small button to press and a little light will illuminate when you have that on then do a search:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Have you powered the thing up:Doh: Mine works A1 with freeview and terrestrial but without power it wont work at all
inside or under a high level cupboard you will find what looks like a spare aerial socket it shout have a small button to press and a little light will illuminate when you have that on then do a search:thumb:
Geo

Thanks "Geo"
Yes there is a small white thingy where the aerial is plugged into and it has a green light,, on the same panel and just above the aerial is a,, what looks like a cigarette lighter socket, and in the manual it says not to connect high current devises such as hair dryers into this receptable, max of 8amps @ 12 volt.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks "Geo"
Yes there is a small white thingy where the aerial is plugged into and it has a green light,, on the same panel and just above the aerial is a,, what looks like a cigarette lighter socket, and in the manual it says not to connect high current devises such as hair dryers into this receptable, max of 8amps @ 12 volt.

I have one of these arials. The the thingy next to small white thingy is a 12V power socket mainly for tv sets. My telly will work ok with this arial on terrestial analogue. BBC1, 2. ITV, Channel 4 & 5 and S4C. Your 110 Volt sockets are ok for any 110 Volt appliance.

When the digital change over happens I think the arial will be of no use. Does anybody know whether this arial will work from a digital signal if fed through a decoder. This is for when I have to wind down the maxview cranky when the wind gets up :roflmto:
(for Jim):winky:

Cheers
Jim:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This is for when I have to wind down the maxview cranky when the wind gets up :roflmto:
(for Jim):winky:

Cheers
Jim:Smile:

Don't give up the day job Jim ........:roflmto::roflmto:

I don't see why it won't work on a dodgy.. I mean digital signal .. but then again, I'm the only one complaining about a dodgy Maxview :cry: so I am probably wrong :Doh:

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for all the help and advise,, Little TV in bedroom works well and when connected to the aerial in the lounge it works ok,, but not the big telly,,The big telly in the lounge is plugged into a 110 socket, the big telly is one of these with the small black box (I think it is a transformer) so if that is ok I think it must be the area we live in.. the house aerial has a huge antenna and a booster box and if the weather is a bit iffy we get a bad picture.. satelite is fine..

All the old plugs that were left in are 110 volt so will power small table lamps or any 110 appliances.. :thumb:

Big Thankyou.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
our US aerial works great (on the 4 channels) in a good signal area, but where we are living the signal is too weak we have tried a few digital aerials on the freeview and have now got a sat. dish set up. We may still get a status for freeview, but the dish is working OK, for now.
The amount of power you can run off the 110v depends on the size of the inverter fitted (240--110) your aircon/microwave/'fridge etc are all 110v.
Looking forward to seeing the 5er.
Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back