Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Says it all. Discovered droppings in underfloor locker and had made a veritable nest in outside locker and had fun with a box of gloves. Have now been through the entire motorhome and checked everywhere. No damage, thank goodness, traps ordered from amazon. How on earth do they get in and how can we stop further visitors. It's not as if the motorhome has been standing idle for long

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well I'm afraid you have a hole somewhere and believe me it doesn't have to be very big, they get through the tiniest space.
Some use talc to see if they can find a "run" . Talc shows footprints.:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How on earth do they get in

One of lifes mysteries.....

how can we stop further visitors

The second of lifes mysteries.

This year we have them in a spare bedroom in the house....for now !

One in the RV a couple of weeks go but not seen since.

Glue mats go back down tommorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If you can get a pencil through a hole - you can get a mouse in. We had field mice in our kitchen and Pete was catching them in a humane trap and releasing them in the field, half a mile away!

Unfortunately that was no deterrent and then one night we were washing up - Pete was washing I was drying and one appeared on the top of the worksurface, ran across the back, then continued along the back of the draining board , up the mixer tap, and calmly sat oh the horizontal part washing it's whiskers - he was so sweet! - but it was The End.

The Little Nipper came out, was baited with a chocolate button - and I didn't have anything to do with it thereafter! (it was them and yes we had found the tiny hole and cemented it up well before then)

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We have a problem with them too. Started about a month ago. we have put a sonic repellent in , tumble drier sheets everywhere and 6 traps. To date we have trapped 6 mice. Always in same place...bottom compartment of cooker and underneath sink. We are having to go up to storage place to check inside twice a week. Dont know what else we can do to deter the little devils. Have emptied everything out which is a bit of a nuisance as try to get away every few weeks.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had them in our old van a couple of years ago.

Just kill what you can, remove all food sources and get some sonic thingies. Not sure the sonic things work, but I think they are a deterrent.

As someone told me though ( Jim I think) the availability of food will overcome any deterrent.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
IMG_20141001_104257.jpg
And this is her looking smug having done the deed!(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
To date we have trapped 6 mice. Always in same place...bottom compartment of cooker and underneath sink.

That could be where the problem is. The cooker will have an air grill under it as LPG is heavier that air and the plan is if there's a gas leak it will drop down through said grill, check that it's in place and the holes not too big, or fit a smaller mesh.
Sink, is the hole for the waste pipe too big? Is there space for a mouse to squeeze in? If so block it up so they can't.:)

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
This seems to be a common problem. We get mice every year in the garage, promptly dealt with, chocolate and traps, but didn't occur to me that they would get in the motorhome. Do they climb up tyres?
Or possibly cables - have the m/h plugged in on the drive?
Any good ideas to stuff holes with- they already eaten a box of plastic gloves, will shred paper happily?
Think I'll be getting some sonic traps. Already have a jack Russell, but she's only interested in things moving, and loves the chase.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We also had this problem last year, they'd used our insulation to make a nest. We finally got rid using sprung traps. We read that plastic bags contain wheat and they can smell them from miles away so make sure you remove any plastic carrier bags.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
This seems to be a common problem. We get mice every year in the garage, promptly dealt with, chocolate and traps, but didn't occur to me that they would get in the motorhome. Do they climb up tyres?
Or possibly cables - have the m/h plugged in on the drive?
Any good ideas to stuff holes with- they already eaten a box of plastic gloves, will shred paper happily?
Think I'll be getting some sonic traps. Already have a jack Russell, but she's only interested in things moving, and loves the chase.

Re: 'what to use to block holes up' - our son had problems with rats at his house, the 'expert' called in and used Wirewool to block/seal holes. apparently they don't like chewing it. Seems to have worked, the Wirewool to stop them entering the house and poison under the floorboards have done the trick!

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We have 2 ultrasonic mouse repellers fitted in underfloor lockers front and back, run on 9v batteries. From e-bay, had no trouble since

I'd be interested in buying some of these for our van (going into storage for 3 months - the van not me!) - could you say what make/model they are please?

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We have a problem with them too. Started about a month ago. we have put a sonic repellent in , tumble drier sheets everywhere and 6 traps. To date we have trapped 6 mice. Always in same place...bottom compartment of cooker and underneath sink. We are having to go up to storage place to check inside twice a week. Dont know what else we can do to deter the little devils. Have emptied everything out which is a bit of a nuisance as try to get away every few weeks.

Thanks for the info but whats with the 'tumble drier sheets'?
Thanks

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You are probably going to have a good laugh but I am a bit old fashioned when it comes to mice, squirrels and ants etc.

When I see them I bluntly tell them they can live outside/in the shed and I will never harm them.

But move into the house and you are dead.

I never kill anything in the garden (Next doors cat does not hold the same view) Bugs on the roses and Spiders by the million live long and prosper in my garden.

But we have never had any rodents/ants in the home since we moved here (35 years).

Hopefully they will understand the motorhome is also off limits (But I suspect the cat next door may have something to do with it) :xgrin:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Don't rely solely on ultrasonic devices we have one and still get occasional mice who last year nested right below it. Must be some deaf mice out there.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Put the traps out in the garage on Monday as there were signs of mice, I've caught 5 of the little buggers since then. Best bait for the trap is Nutella chocolate spread, it must be like mouse cocaine.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Soozywoozy. I bought an ultrasonic Pine marten repeller. It is made by German company KEMO, model No:- M100N. Its 12 volt and only draws 2 MilliAmps..
Good luck !!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My workplace out in the country is a historic building that gets rats and mice on a regular basis. The ultrasonic repellers don't stop them.

We lay the blue bait blocks beside the internal walls of the building, and after a few days the problem goes away, but others eventually replace them so it's a constant battle.

In the MH they're most likely going up the wheels - then in our case into the engine bay and through gaps in the lining to the cab.

As I've said here before, your best defence once they're in is your side door footwells, as they're often smooth-sided. If you can lure them down into there with bait it contains them and their bodily secretions until the bait or the cold kills them. Don't leave any potential food or nesting materials within reach of the floor.

Humane traps may make you feel better about God's little creatures but they do nothing to solve the problem, given the reproduction rate of the captives that get released back into the wild. God also invented something called Leptospirosis which is carried in mouse and rat urine and can be fatal to humans. Mice are just disease carrying vermin with very good PR - I personally blame Beatrix Potter and Walt Disney.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks for the info but whats with the 'tumble drier sheets'?
Thanks
apparently they don't like the smell of tumble dryer sheets .. put them in cupboards .... or moth balls but you can't buy these now as they are banned until they sort out another substance to make them of. I have bought some lavendar moth repellant sachets from Wilkinsons and put those in my cupboards and spray everything with lavendar air freshener. I coudn't buy peppermint oil as all the shops had run out so I bought peppermint capsules from the health shops and pierce one, rub it over all the work surfaces and leave the empty capsule under the cushions. Not been up to van this week but as of last week... no sign of the mice that came in last year ....

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'd be interested in buying some of these for our van (going into storage for 3 months - the van not me!) - could you say what make/model they are please?
Hi See Jenny and Mitche's reply above re these.. They come in various costs .. some seem quite expensive since a lot of people say they don't work though .. so bear that in mind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back