A Terrible Dilemma For An Off-Site Rufty Tufty... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
For years and years I have wandered around Europe in my van of the day staying off-site mostly and away from the masses.

Occasionally I have reasons to join other motorhomers, as I have this week, at places like Silves, a motorhome friendly town which allows vans to park on a large parking area in winter when it is not needed by tourists.

There are no rules or regulations or wardens or arrival/departure times here.

You arrive, find a space, park up and live.

If there is no room you go off and find somewhere else.

Now...

I always HATE seeing people "reserve" their place by putting out water bottles or tables and chairs while they go off for the day. I think it is totally against the spirit of "Off-Siting" and it drives me mad. It is NOT "their pitch" and they have no right to stop anyone else parking there if they are not present.

However... today I need to pop 300 metres down the road to empty my tanks and fill up with water.

It is very busy and in the 30 minutes I will be gone I am almost certain to lose my (great) position.

I am thinking of breaking my own rule and putting out my excutive bike chained to the World's Most Comfortable Chair to keep the spot.

If I do this dreadful deed will I be banned from going to heaven?

What should I do?

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If it's for such a short time just do it if it was for longer I would not.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
As you're only going a few hundred metres and will only be half hour I say go for it!

Folk who go out for the day and reserve it often don't come straight back as they find an alternate spot for a night that they hadn't known about!

Reserve it I say - under the circumstances.

......you were never going to heaven anyway:eek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Find an old pram (there's always one lying around) tie it to the back of your executive bike and use as a trailer .
Come on man what's the matter with you proper travellers always find a way.
Remember neccisity is the mother of invention. My vans proof covered in bodges carried out on the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You said there were no rules. I think if you were only getting water etc for a brief period no one would object to your proposal. BUT they might, and justifiably so if you were gone for several hours. But as there are no rules and no marked spaced you could find someone parked where you had been when returning and your bike and chair moved to one side as they have no way of knowing when you might return, you might be out for the day so would just have to accept it and as you said go off and find somewhere else. Same on aires. You can't reserve a space with tables etc but if just getting water I think that's acceptable. But I do not think it's acceptable if going on a trip away from the aire. Indeed I have seen tables and chairs left out moved so a Motorhomes could use the space. I gave also seen people asked to put tables and chairs out if the wayvkfctge next spect and wind in awnings and have asked myself. Interestingly the last time was a UK can which had chairs and awning over the next space and would not move them when it was obvious people wanted tongue the space. Eventually they wee moved when a Dutch couple complained. But even then with a scowl.

I think your best plane is to put the bike and chair out and ask a neighbour to explain that you are briefly getting water to any interested parties.

Reactions: JJ
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
There's a nice off site just up the road near the reservoir JJ.

Craig

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Mission accomplished without compromise.

I put my chair out but explained to my Dutch neighbours that if anyone moved it to park where it was they should be allowed to...

"No problem..." said Nell, and she moved her chair into the space and sat there!

By the time I need to do my "chores" again, the bathroom designer re-styling will be complete and I'll be back out there rufty tuftying properly!

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Mission accomplished without compromise.

I put my chair out but explained to my Dutch neighbour that if anyone moved it to park where it was they should be allowed to...

"No problem..." said Nell, and she moved her chair into the space and sat there!

By the time I need to do my "chores" again, the bathroom designer re-styling will be complete and I'll be back out there rufty tuftying properly!

Does your world famous Froglette
know about Nell
?

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
As a wildcamper myself I refrain from being too judgemental about the activities of others. I do what I need to do and figure so do they. I find it useful to carry portable containers to take care of water matters. 300 metres is just a short bit of exercise with no need to move my van. Difficult to operate if you make up limiting rules for yourself and worry about what others might do or say.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Mr Movinon...

You are welcome to carry 60 odd litres of pooey black water 300 metres in some kind of container and then pour it down the "drive over" manhole should you so please but I prefer to use the wheels and engine of my van to get the stuff there.

:rofl:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Mr Movinon...

You are welcome to carry 60 odd litres of pooey black water 300 metres in some kind of container and then pour it down the "drive over" manhole should you so please but I prefer to use the wheels and engine of my van to get the stuff there.

:rofl:

Not really thinking of the enviroment are you.... :doh:

Starting that smelly old diesel engine just to do a few yards... :crying::blush:

:wink::rofl:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I was going to reply 'ask assistance from your neighbours' but see that you've already successfully done that(y) Failing that, maybe don't put your best stuff out:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back