Inverter Genorators (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
I wonder if anyone can advise us. We have just got a tag axle motorhome & are thinking of using the above. The size we are looking at is 3.5Kv as this would give enough power for everything. The thing is, SWMBO wants to have it permantley fixed in the garage of the motorhome. Obviously venting the exhaust would be a problem. I was wondering if other motorhomers used genorators & where they site them. Do you have them permantley fixed ?? Our dealer said he could put it in the garage but the door would have to be left open when it was in operation. Thus leaving it open to the opportune theif. We would like to be self sufficient in any situation. (Ie wild camping). I would appreciate all info & suggestions. Cheers.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Gennys not always popular with other campers, mainly due to noise.
Some meets ban them totally, and some campsites limit their usage.
Can understand for medical reasons, but do you really need one?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have a 2.8 kva generator which was factory fitted in the chassis with the controls inside the van so we can even use it when driving very handy bit of kit but I hate to think how much it cost.

Having said that we have fitted 3 x 115 traction batteries and a 2000 watt inverter, also have two solar panels on the roof which again were on when we purchased. We now find that we virtually never use the generator anymore, we've just returned from 2 weeks away Wales France and Spain all wild camping or Aires with no ehu and never got near needing to start the generator. There are much better options than generators I'd do plenty of research before forking out on a generator especially as its getting more and more difficult to use them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
3.5kw is definately overkill for an average motorhome.

The most common are either 1 or 2kw.....most of the time they only run the fridge and your charger, almost everything else is gas or 12v.

Its a compromise for 230v appliances.....1700w kettle instead of a 3000w fast boil.
lower wattage panel heaters etc in winter....you wont need a 3kw heater in what amounts, size wise, to a garden shed.

OP
OP
New Dawn
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Thanks for your replies. SWMBO is thinking of the air-con + she is thinking of a microwave also. (driving me nuts). Could look at another solar panel and inverter. But where do you draw the line.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
get a solar panel and a inverter i had a genny and then i changed to solar and inverter much better

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Forget the genny, despite what anyone says, they are smelly and noisy. It's also another fuel you need to carry ..
On load, even a 1kw whisper quiet Honda is noisy and if running in the garage you won't be able to hear each other talk.. and if the exhaust pipe is not extended outside, the fumes will get in every nook and cranny.. it will also be dangerous if the CO gets into the hab area..

For 'wilding' my choice would be a Sterling b2b charger , decent size battery bank of at least 240ah, solar panel and if required an inverter..

Buy the b2b first and extra battery and see how you get on, then solar if you need it..

I had a 2kw Honda and over a period of several years only ran it a couple of times.. learn to live without one.. buy a 3.5kw and I would gamble that you will live to regret it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi New Dawn. :) Nice MH by the way. (y)

Like Forestboy, (Rory), we have a 2.5Kva generator fixed to the chassis.

With 225 amps of traction battery power, 2 x 85 watt solar panels, and 1 x Sterling B2B 50A charger, the genny is seldom used. The 300 watt and 1500 watt inverters see to any mains equipment we need to use (very occasionally) along with 12v chargers for phones, laptop, etc.

I should add that we are also very rarely on EHU, unless on a site where it is included in the price of the pitch.

Good luck with your search for power. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
going away in the van for us is a differnt experience to being at home part of that diffence is having to consider our power usage not that weve ever run out in this van which is self sufficent at least 4 days which is the longest weve gone without hook up we find the need to empty fluids is what drives us on to a site where we top up energy at the same time as its usually in the price

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Trying to live the same lifestyle in a motorhome as you do in a house creates many, many problems.

I have lived fulltime in my van for nearly 30 years and have learned to survive peacefully and happily without microwave ovens, hairdryers, electric kettles, airconditioners, big screen televisions, vacuum cleaners etc.

Were I to find that I couldn't be content without these things I would suspect that I wasn't suited to motorhoming!

Then I would have to get an RV. :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Apart from all the reasons given about, do think about the smell of the generator if you have your bed over the garage. We just put our generator in the garage without even starting it up and I could smell it when in bed, dread to think what it would have smelt live when it was running. Your garage is not an outside locker, or it isn't in our van anyway.
After just a week of it being in the garage we have decided we will manage without and removed it.

OP
OP
New Dawn
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hi all. Thanks for your advice and suggestions. Think we will look at other options. Armytwowheels made a good point of fumes etc. JJ
Your point of living in the van for 30 yrs, obviously "that's experienced advice". Scotjimland. Looking at that option also. Everyone has valid points that need considering. So now going to do more research. So glad we joined MHFun.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just in case you need any more convincing, a 3.5 KVa generator is going to set you back as much as a small second hand car. It will weigh the best part of 100 kg and I guarantee you will not really need it. It is not something you can sit in a motorhome garage and run; it needs to be properly installed in a dedicated locker - assuming you have room. Here is an example of a suitable product at a cool £8,500 (before fitting costs).

Even a 'portable' Honda 3KVa inverter generator will set you back almost £3000 and weighs 61 kg without fuel - more than I could lift out of the garage.

We have a Honda EU10i which we use very occasionally. I bought it when we were going away one winter for a week and there was no hookup at the site. Since then we have used it a few times for the motorhome but I use it much more frequently to power a strimmer in the garden!

Last edited:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Dealers going to fix it in the MH garage:eek: What a foolish idea. I do hope he's insured for public liability so your estate can mount a claim for negligence against him, and its not just the smell as carbon monoxide kills silently:(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just in case you need any more convincing, a 3.5 KVa generator is going to set you back as much as a small second hand car. It will weigh the best part of 100 kg and I guarantee you will not really need it. It is not something you can sit in a motorhome garage and run; it needds to be properly installe in a dedicated locker - assuming you have room. Here is an example of a suitable product at a cool £8,500 (before fitting costs).

Even a 'portable' Honda 3KVa inverter generator will set you back almost £3000 and weighs 61 kg without fuel - more than I could lift out of the garage.

We have a Honda EU10i which we use very occasionally. I bought it when we were going away one winter for a week and there was no hookup at the site. Since then we have used it a few times for the motorhome but I use it much more frequently to power a strimmer in the garden!
At those prices consider a fuel cell?

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
MY last MH had 2x115ah wet batteries and a 1ooo-2000 peak pure sine wave inverter worked a treat never had flat batteries
My BH wants to be able to use the microwave when wild camping soooooo as the fitted microwave is of low wattage (750w) I'm having a 120w panel and a 2000-4000 peak pure sine wave inverter fitted next week

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Aircon and a genny.
I hope you never park near me.

Mega grumpy - but if you haven't experienced the drone drone drone of a genny all day, sometimes at a van where they've gone out for the day then you don't know how bad it it. It part volume but mainly the drone, which modulates a bit with varying load.

Add in the fans of aircon and there could be a fight.

There was an inconsiderate *&*&*^% at a FUN meet with a near unsilenced generator running all day. We weren't there but the posts came thick and fast on here. Jim's words were "I've never heard one that loud before". Just not acceptable.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am a total mug !
Over the past 8 years I have bought about 6 genny's, convincing myself I need them.. A year later they are still unused and are sold on !

I really MUST stop buying the bloody things !!

Reactions: JJ

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
as a by the by, we have 260aH worth of batteries and 300w worth of solar panels..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back