mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
This feels like a daft question but I'm genuinely confused.

I can't reach the roof of my van from outside and I have a skylight that I know raises the height. I need to book a ferry and want to be sure I get the measurements right so I get the right ticket and have no issues getting in and off the ferry.

How do I measure the height?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Take a string , go onto the roof . Once the string touches the ground make a mark where you hold it!

Once back on earth you can measure on the ground

Amicalement

Frankie(y)
Edit: If the skylight is a bit away from the edge you will need a rule or a long stick to go from the skylight to the edge of the van

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Try googling your make and model and it might give you the dimensions. Remember you might have an aerial too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It should be in your van makers manual, failing that take the height you can measure and add about 2 inches for government work;)

The ferry people are not too worried to be honest (but you might pay a little less)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I have googled and got a variety of numbers.. I'm more confused by that because the ferry height band is close to the height I've found. I don't have an aerial but the skylight is over and above the standard height.

Is it ok to go on the roof? I'm not light lol

BTW it is a high top transit van conversion

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think I'm going to have to go with over 2.5m which seems to preclude me from booking some ferries. The heights I've found range from 2.25-2.5m and I'm too scared to go on the roof...

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I have a 3 m straightedge that overhangs both sides of the van and is placed across the highest point of the van and I check that it is level with a spirit level. I then measure from the overhang of the straightedge to the ground on both sides and if one side is longer than the other then I take the greater measurement.
Works for me

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When I've booked it just asks below 2,35m in height & 7m in length or under 4,35m in height &10m in length.
for vans it is 2,4m (H) & 6m (L) or 4,35(H) x 6m(L)
Thats dfds. & yes they do check. they have auto height checkers as I accidentally booked wrong & was pulled for it.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I am sure that the height of your vehicle should be displayed where the driver can see it, or is that no longer required. My RV is just over 11' and there are a good few bridges round our way it would struggle to go under.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi mjltigger, if its a van conversion sounds like mine ...a high roof transit , so makers figures will only give you a guide then add the ht of the protruding skylight for an approx. figure...
scattycat's method is the way to go to give near enough exact height..
I have a dome on now , but seem to remember mine with just a roof light came in at around 2.6 m

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I have a 3 m straightedge that overhangs both sides of the van and is placed across the highest point of the van and I check that it is level with a spirit level. I then measure from the overhang of the straightedge to the ground on both sides and if one side is longer than the other then I take the greater measurement.
Works for me

I too do that but my van is parked out front on a block paver drive with a natural slope away from the house so a spirit level is not much help. I lay a straight edge over the roadpro dome, the highest point, and make sure it's equidistant height wise from each edge of the van. Then measure as before. As a double check I add the roadpro 40cm to the published height of the van. It takes 3 ladders, 3 tape measures, 4 people and a lot of shouting and some swearing but we get there in the end. :)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From inside the MH, standing on something, stick your head out of the skylight and look around just to confirm it is the highest spot. Then measure down to the floor and add this to the hight of the floor above ground, which you should be able to measure at the door. I would add 100mm for safety, 'cos if your roof hits the ferry the MH comes off a lot worse.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Dave you could have used a satellite theodolite, and use trigonometry, geometry and mathematics getting NASA involved seems a bit much don't you think!!!!!!!?

Take it into boots and put it onto one of those height weight and BMI scales.......sorted you'll have it all.
::bigsmile::rofl::rofl::rofl:::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks for all your replies.. some sound more complicated than others but I'm going to have a go over the weekend..

Vin0114 it is a Transit lwb high top 1999.. brewerydave I'm not sure I can get an accurate measurement because I can't get high enough on a ladder without the virtigo kick in in.. feel free to take the Mickey
devonbeekeeper that was what my OH suggested..no chance of me saying she was right lol...

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I too do that but my van is parked out front on a block paver drive with a natural slope away from the house so a spirit level is not much help. I lay a straight edge over the roadpro dome, the highest point, and make sure it's equidistant height wise from each edge of the van. Then measure as before. As a double check I add the roadpro 40cm to the published height of the van. It takes 3 ladders, 3 tape measures, 4 people and a lot of shouting and some swearing but we get there in the end. :)

They dont need precision. Unless your van is very low you will be put on ferry with trucks and buses...BUSBY.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I measured in the end... 5.45m long and 2.52m tall.. probably 5cm margin for error based on wobbly ladders lol

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
But if you are >2,35m the price difference to be parked in same spot is nearly double.

Should think only pop tops would come under that height,,,may be wrong. A van of that height could be measured with a clothes prop. Still would not need absolute precision as they allow a decent tollerance. BUSBY.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back