ip addres (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just want to know if a IP address can be stolen then used to by a trole to do bad thing's
I have a reason for asking pleas if any one knows it this is possible it my explain a few things for me and a friend that we think this has happened to
bill

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Bill, my ISP internet service provider regularly changes my IP address which leads me to believe that it is a security issue to prevent illegal access to everything on the breached PC.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
so can it be done that's what I am asking so you are saying it can be done and then used for bad thing by a trole as the person I know I think he has become a victim of a trole

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Chances are your friends IP address changes regularly anyway.
so it changes regularly but can it be stolen for bad porpoise by a trole as we think it's this is what has happed and how do ip addresses change I though it was to the pc or lap top jim

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Hi Bill, the simple answer is 'yes', an IP address can be 'stolen' by being faked.

The IP of each computer, tablet, phone, etc on your home network is allocated by your own router, this is usually 192. something. However the IP address of your internet connection is generated by the ISP and gets changed very few weeks unless you pay for a fixed IP which many companies need, very few domestic users have a fixed IP.

There are ways to change (spoof) this external IP so that naughty things can happen.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Bill, the simple answer is 'yes', an IP address can be 'stolen' by being faked.

The IP of each computer, tablet, phone, etc on your home network is allocated by your own router, this is usually 192. something. However the IP address of your internet connection is generated by the ISP and gets changed very few weeks unless you pay for a fixed IP which many companies need, very few domestic users have a fixed IP.

There are ways to change (spoof) this external IP so that naughty things can happen.
ok thanks I am hoping that the police also know this and if some one has spoofed a ip can they be caught as it après that this is the case.
another question can they get in to a computer remotely to and say operate the cam things like that
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have been using your IP address for weeks Bill...

Have you been getting interesting adverts?

JJ :cool:
At the moment jj I am not in the mood for any humour I didn't want to ask on open forum.
But as I don't know enough abut computers and how they work this guy has had his kids taken off him because of sum sick basterd faces time in jale and his life destroyed
so as you can under stand not in the best frame of mind at the moment

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I don't understand computers Bill but I do know that I had my computer hacked into. Whoever it was was opening apps on my computer and I was paying out of the pocket. Financially, I live day to day and it put me in dire straits .. there was nothing I could do to claim all the money back. I also was getting emails through which I had tried to block ... I was getting adverts through which were not nice ... I could go on and on. It was a horrible time being alone , just thinking that someone had access to my computer. I, too, suspect that I know who it was but what do you do.

A friend of mine shared my computer with me over coffee once a week as at the time she was looking for a motorhome and then lo and behold on her email address on my computer the same thing happened.

I cannot explain these things and fortunately someone from this forum worked hard at a meet we were at and he sorted it all out for me. I am eternally grateful to him .. it is his job on computers, etc.

I know how distressing it can be .. You will get it sorted. It may be worth asking someone in the know to completely clear your computer and then re=download everything you need with extra security. Hug

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
At the moment jj I am not in the mood for any humour I didn't want to ask on open forum.
But as I don't know enough abut computers and how they work this guy has had his kids taken off him because of sum sick basterd faces time in jale and his life destroyed
so as you can under stand not in the best frame of mind at the moment
Although an IP address can be spoofed, to make it look as though your friend has accessed illicit websites, to the best of my knowledge that would not leave any evidence on his PC - in other words his computer, once examined, should have no record of having accessed the web pages in question.

More likely IMO is that someone nearby (someone in a car parked nearby for example) has used his wireless network to access illicit sites. His PC will still be unaffected though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
ok thanks I am hoping that the police also know this and if some one has spoofed a ip can they be caught as it après that this is the case.
another question can they get in to a computer remotely to and say operate the cam things like that
bill
Yes, someone can take over another person's pc and I suspect, without knowing the details, this what may have happened to your friend. It can be done by loading something hidden in the attachment to an email.

If he downloads malwarebytes and runs it then this program should find whatever has been put on the pc.
Just download the free version,
https://www.malwarebytes.org

If you turn your router on and off it will change the ip address it is using. Some people do this everyday, a time clock cab be set to do it in the early hours of the morning.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I don't understand computers Bill but I do know that I had my computer hacked into. Whoever it was was opening apps on my computer and I was paying out of the pocket. Financially, I live day to day and it put me in dire straits .. there was nothing I could do to claim all the money back. I also was getting emails through which I had tried to block ... I was getting adverts through which were not nice ... I could go on and on. It was a horrible time being alone , just thinking that someone had access to my computer. I, too, suspect that I know who it was but what do you do.

A friend of mine shared my computer with me over coffee once a week as at the time she was looking for a motorhome and then lo and behold on her email address on my computer the same thing happened.

I cannot explain these things and fortunately someone from this forum worked hard at a meet we were at and he sorted it all out for me. I am eternally grateful to him .. it is his job on computers, etc.

I know how distressing it can be .. You will get it sorted. It may be worth asking someone in the know to completely clear your computer and then re=download everything you need with extra security. Hug
it's not me joy the person has had his computer and cameras sized his door kiked in on a dawn rade .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
it's not me joy the person has had his computer and cameras sized his door kiked in on a dawn rade .
Oh dear .. then don't know Bill. Must have been some bad stuff there then. Let us know how everything goes... I would try and avoid commenting Bill if I were you at this stage. You don't need to be dragged into it hon.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
all his computer
Although an IP address can be spoofed, to make it look as though your friend has accessed illicit websites, to the best of my knowledge that would not leave any evidence on his PC - in other words his computer, once examined, should have no record of having accessed the web pages in question.

More likely IMO is that someone nearby (someone in a car parked nearby for example) has used his wireless network to access illicit sites. His PC will still be unaffected though.
equipment has been seized and he was in police custody all day very distressing for him and his family

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
can it be stolen for bad porpoise by a trole as we think it's this is what has happed and how do ip addresses change I though it was to the pc or lap top jim

BT changes my external IP every night, they seem to partly shut me down when not in use.

The question who hates your mate this much. It's either a very clever computer hacker or he paying one. Has he upset some teenage hackers ?

Does he have WiFi in use ? It's not very secure at best though it can be set up as totally unsecure or reasonably secure. If it's a neighbor they have all the time in the world to crack it.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
any way at this time I will comment no further thanks for the reply's.
Bill THRED CLOSED

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm pretty sure that if you use any unsecured wifi - like BT OpenZone, some club networks, businesses, railway stations, cafes etc - other people can see what you're doing. I don't know if they can also operate your computer/ tablet/ fancy phone etc.
Sorry Bill, I know you said 'closed', but I was halfway through this.
Hope all gets resolved.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

If you have not already got Antivirus software on your computer you should consider downloading and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. Its totally free keeps your computer free from all kinds of nasties
Here is a link
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

Sorry, didnt see thread closed until I'd finished typing -

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp