BEST CASH CARD TO USE WHILE ABROAD (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Which is the best and cheapest cash card to use abroad? Caxton or others?

colyboy

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have been using Caxton for the past 4 years without any problems.

Brisey.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use Mytravelcash, not pushing or knocking it, it works for us, not the best conversion, but there is no charges whatsoever, and if you keep an eye on your email they have special offers now and again where you get extra euros when you load it , and also you get a genuine 1% cash back on all purchases direct into your account. Works every where except card only fuel stations, and some tolls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't rely on one is the answer. Caxton is not accepted some of the time.

Then there are the low fee credit/debit cards that can give a better "on the day" exchange rate.

There places where cash rules, so a low/no fee cash withdrawal is good.

There's no easy answer.

We have caxton/halifax/nationwide as well as normal CC.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
we use a Halifax Clarity credit card as there are no fees for using it abroad. The only time we couldn't use it was once in an automated barrier entry to an Aire but no other British cards worked that day either.

We bank with Norwich & Peterborough because they charge no fees when we withdraw our money.

Simples (y)

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Halifax Clarity credit card. Worked perfectly on France last month, now working perfectly in Spain, hopefully should be the same when we get to Portugal:)
One point though, before leaving uk we went into the Halifax & they did something on their computers to ensure that usage would not be a problem, don't really understand what they did but they also did it for our debit cards in case we had to use them for any reason.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
They almost certainly added a note stating you are abroad during certain dates so your purchases wouldn't be seen as unusual. I suggest you also let them know when your back just in case your cards been cloned whilst abroad

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Caxton card seems fine when getting cash out from a hole in the wall, but is sometimes declined when trying to pay for stuff. We had it declined when trying to pay for fuel and at a motorway toll in France earlier this week.

So as already said, always best to have some cash and another card as back-up.

Steve :Smile:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Caxton card seems fine when getting cash out from a hole in the wall, but is sometimes declined when trying to pay for stuff. We had it declined when trying to pay for fuel and at a motorway toll in France earlier this week.

So as already said, always best to have some cash and another card as back-up.

Steve :Smile:
Caxton cards will be declined at all unmanned French fuel stations but accepted at maned fuel stations.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I like Caxton because you can buy Euro's when the rate is good which then sit in your account ready for withdrawal as and when you like. You can then draw cash from the hole in the wall as and when you like at no additional cost. You can also use the card to pay for goods and services at no additional cost. I did speak to Caxton about unmanned fuel stations and sadly that will not change. I can't remember the reason.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I like Caxton because you can buy Euro's when the rate is good which then sit in your account ready for withdrawal as and when you like. You can then draw cash from the hole in the wall as and when you like at no additional cost. You can also use the card to pay for goods and services at no additional cost. I did speak to Caxton about unmanned fuel stations and sadly that will not change. I can't remember the reason.
As you can with Mytravelcash and all prepaid euro cards

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Caxton cards will be declined at all unmanned French fuel stations but accepted at maned fuel stations.
It's also worth noting that prepaid cards are not accepted on toll roads either, that caught me out on my first trip to France.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use Mytravelcash, not pushing or knocking it, it works for us, not the best conversion, but there is no charges whatsoever, and if you keep an eye on your email they have special offers now and again where you get extra euros when you load it , and also you get a genuine 1% cash back on all purchases direct into your account. Works every where except card only fuel stations, and some tolls.
As I said , today got an email saying if I load £1000 they will add another £10s worth of euros that's at 1.2222 whereas carton is 1.2341, so don't know how that equates, when remember we also get 1% back on spendings , can't be a lot in it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is a good place to check them out, but take no notice of the rates quoted they are always way out when you go to the actual site
Broken Link Removed

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I use post office credit card, and it has always worked for fuel (even on the pump that said English cards wouldn't work), tolls, aires and shops. No charges for using it abroad. For cash withdrawals I use N&P as again there are no charges. I just use their secure message system online to let them know when I'll be abroad.

I was originally going to get a caxton or fairfx preloaded card but discovered that your money is not protected if the company goes belly up. And having had a very near miss with the crown currency exchange debacle I decided against it although the risk is small.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I use post office credit card, and it has always worked for fuel (even on the pump that said English cards wouldn't work), tolls, aires and shops

That's because it is a credit card, our tesco credit card also works, but they are different than prepaid cards

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009

Mine was declined at a manned fuel station (and before anyone says, yes, it had enough euros on it!)

Having said that, I'm still happy with it. Also had one with pounds on for countries just outside the eurozone.

Steve

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Caxton for cash withdrawals and small purchases. Load via text and card loaded within seconds. Also balance check by text.
Post Office CC for other purchases as this card has no conversion fee and no usage charge. Used Caxton to pay for my return crossing whilst in France. Logged on to P and O site and paid in Euros. No chance then of compromising debit or CC.
Both cards worked everywhere but not toll roads as my MH is programmed to avoid the word PEAGE.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
N and P card works well for us. Best exchange rates and have never been refused in France, Spain, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Belgium or Holland. Jenny takes her Santander Zero card as a back-up. Mitch.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
clarity cards - bank rate for withdrawels and no charge. Charges for purchases and gives £5 reward per month

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
N&P debit card for cash
Nationwide Credit card for all other transactions
No charges and middle rate for both (y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have a ukash card for cash and spending. I just use my nationwide debit card for tolls and put up with the charges..

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I use post office credit card, and it has always worked for fuel (even on the pump that said English cards wouldn't work), tolls, aires and shops. No charges for using it abroad. For cash withdrawals I use N&P as again there are no charges. I just use their secure message system online to let them know when I'll be abroad.

I was originally going to get a caxton or fairfx preloaded card but discovered that your money is not protected if the company goes belly up. And having had a very near miss with the crown currency exchange debacle I decided against it although the risk is small.

That's cos it ain't English its Irish:)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

We use FairFX cards one for € and another for $. We load them up when the rate is good . We also have a Nationwide debit card as backup. So far the FX cards have proved to give a very good exchange rate and if you use them for shopping there are no extra charges.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I use Brittany Ferries card, buy a few Euros now and again, when best rate advertised, save up during year for our EU holiday.
Works great for me.
Doesn't work at pre pay fuel stations tho.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Hi, we take a Nationwide Credit Card, Santander Zero Credit Card and a prepaid ICE Card. One of them will always work and no charges on any of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back