Problems with Dometic fridge (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
:(While away last week we discovered that the fridge in our 2007 Swift Sundance was not working on gas.

It has manual piezo ignition and when turning on the indicator needle moves into the green sector and heat can be felt from the gas exhaust outside the van, so the gas must be burning. However , there is no cooling effect at all, ( checked with thermometer in freezer compartment).

On battery or mains it works fine.

Any suggestions as to what is causing the problem and how it might be fixed would be appreciated.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Does the chimney need sweeping? (I know, the correct name is the flue but it amounts to the same thing)

Ours did exactly the same after about 6 months - it was well within original warranty from new - but it turns out was probably because when it was red hot, last summer when we used it A Lot and that after 3 months from new in Portugal that we'd turned it up too high for too long - they actually work better once they have got cold properly on medium at the most !

Anyway, over 12 months use have passed since then and it's fine.

Said she, just going to reach out for the pine dining table ........

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say if you know what you are doing take the burner apart and clean it all including the flue, if you don't know what you are doing just get it serviced by somebody who does.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Dirty burner causing heavy sooting in the flue. Burners on Dometic fridges rarely need replacing, Thetford is a different story but the flue will need thorough cleaning with the burnwer removed to restore working order.

D.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Just to add to what Jenny (sedge) said earlier engineer told us we ought to have the flue cleaned every year, and perhaps sooner if using refillable gas (LPG) as it tends to burn dirtier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Dirty burner causing heavy sooting in the flue. Burners on Dometic fridges rarely need replacing, Thetford is a different story but the flue will need thorough cleaning with the burnwer removed to restore working order.

D.
Thanks for the advice.

It may be a stupid question but as the gas is definitely burning why is the fridge not cooling? I would have thought that a blocked flue would stop the gas burning.

Sorry if the answer is obvious to you but I'm no expert!:doh:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The 'fridge requires quite a strong flame to work----I would think it is too small and the jet needs cleaning out---it is really quite easy to do if you are at-all capable with simple tools
If you take the jet out---don't drop it, they are usually very small
Nigel

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The 'fridge requires quite a strong flame to work----I would think it is too small and the jet needs cleaning out---it is really quite easy to do if you are at-all capable with simple tools
If you take the jet out---don't drop it, they are usually very small
Nigel
Are you aware of any video guides to the job? YouTube etc?

I am reasonably "handy" but would appreciate some prior knowledge before having a go.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks for the advice.

It may be a stupid question but as the gas is definitely burning why is the fridge not cooling? I would have thought that a blocked flue would stop the gas burning.

Sorry if the answer is obvious to you but I'm no expert!:doh:

The problem is the sooted flue. The soot acts as an insulator and prevents the heat of the flame from being absorbed into the cooling circuit. If you don't know how to service the gas side of a fridge then I strongly recommend you have it done professionally.

D.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The problem is the sooted flue. The soot acts as an insulator and prevents the heat of the flame from being absorbed into the cooling circuit. If you don't know how to service the gas side of a fridge then I strongly recommend you have it done professionally.

D.

Seconded!(y)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

D.
Thanks again. Will do as suggested and book it in for service

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Fridge sorted during habitation service.

As suggested by members the cause was :-

Blocked burner nozzle. New nozzle fitted and exhaust flue cleaned.
OK now. All is well with the world!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back