Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Hi all

As mentioned we are all new to this and after getting some good advice so far on the electrics and also campsites , i now need to rack your brains on tv and aerial .

The MH has a status aerial fitted so i thought i would try a small tv/dvd combo this evening to see if it would work. Now i know the telly works but after switching the aerial on and connecting everything up and set it to auto tune we got ............nothing !!

Any ideas as im probably missing something ??

Thanks in advance

Rob

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming that you have checked the co ax connections, bin the Status aerial as they are not very good. Try something like the Avtex which is superb

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Well, if its the Staus directional aerial, you will need to get it facing the right way first....Pop outside and check the local aerials position. However, if its the status omni directional aerial, their rubbish. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hmmm ... well, we always thought the directional status aerials were the best (that's what we'd always been told) but to be fair found it a bl**dy pain trying to align it. Our current van has the standard Status 'flying saucer' omnidirectional one and it has been brilliant so I'm not sure how 'true' it is that these are as bad as they have been claimed!

As for what the problem is ... did you turn on the amplifier and are you sure the aerial cable is actually connected from the amplifier to the aerial (stranger things have happened)?

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
rob how old is the status and what model i had the same problem so got the newer 1 job done

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I agree with Hilldweller: often been told that the arial wiring within the frame of MH's is pretty poor at times. The omni-directional are naff in my opinion but I have the directional version and also use a signal finder and have no problem.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our status aerial works ok. I use a directional aerial app when wild camping, makes f8nding the signal much easier.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting, I previously bought a maxview digital signal finder which I've yet to use, but just downloaded an "antenna aligner" app for for iPad & iphone at the princely cost of 69p which may make it redundant. It appears to accurately locate our local transmitter, and confirms vertical/horizontal polarity per transmitter.

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Daft question, does the TV/DVD combo have a digital tuner?
If you tune it in in the house, provided the motorhome is not in the transmitter shadow caused by the house it should just plug in and go.
Have you looked at local aerials for a clue to direction etc
Are they standard aerials or mounted on long poles (if all on long poles may indicate a signal weekspot)

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We have a Status (the old flying saucer type) and have no problems with it at all.
In some areas, Lincolnshire coast for example, the reception is brilliant.
Every bit, if not better and more reliable, than the sat.
Why fart about with directional?
The thing works fine.
I've spoken to some folks about them, who've said " They are crap, that's why I've never used it".
How do they know?

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Interesting, I previously bought a maxview digital signal finder which I've yet to use, but just downloaded an "antenna aligner" app for for iPad & iphone at the princely cost of 69p which may make it redundant. It appears to accurately locate our local transmitter, and confirms vertical/horizontal polarity per transmitter.
just LOVE your name and AVATAR, Rowley........:rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We have a Status with vision plus signal finder/booster. never had a problem getting reception a great piece of kit for the money.

If this is what you've got, you have a decent aerial.

Broken Link Removed

If you can identify it you may get some better answers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have the new milenco Omni directional aerial its a lot bigger than the status and picks up brilliant seems a lot better than the status directional aerial I took off

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
All sorted

Seemed there was a loose connection from the amplifier (think thats what it is anyway?)

Rob

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Typical male ... looking for a MAJOR problem when it is just a small dangling bit .... :LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back