Dead trailer socket (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Set off from Dover this morning and the trailer lights were working, arrived at Tours and nothing is working. Any ideas why nothing is working. Travelling down to St Jean De Luz tomorrow so what's Franch for " They were working when I set off Officer ".

Mike

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Humph, the only common denominator is the earth wire, all the bulbs need it.

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Humph, the only common denominator is the earth wire, all the bulbs need it.
Thanks, I've just looked at the wiring to the socket in particular the earth but it all looks okay.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks, I've just looked at the wiring to the socket in particular the earth but it all looks okay.

Mike
A tester would help. The earth is the white wire.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming your motorhome is based on Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen X250 it will almost certainly have a towing relay box in the wiring, this will have a single power feed direct from the vehicle engine battery via a fuse, possibly in the engine battery compartment (under passengers cab floor assuming RHD). This feed is the second common item to towing wiring.

D.

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just had another look and both indicators are working but not the
Assuming your motorhome is based on Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen X250 it will almost certainly have a towing relay box in the wiring, this will have a single power feed direct from the vehicle engine battery via a fuse, possibly in the engine battery compartment (under passengers cab floor assuming RHD). This feed is the second common item to towing wiring.

D.
Thanks for the reply, it's a 2012 Boxer and the tow bar was fitted by the dealer. I will have a look at the fuses to see if one has gone.

Mike

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Had another look and the indicators are working but not the tail and brake lights, would this still be the relay?
It's a 13 pin socket.

Mike

fifer37

Free Member
Apr 30, 2011
FIFE
Funster No
MH
BURSTNER 747-2
Exp
Since 2008

D.
Had the same problem with my Compass Avantgarde 180. Relay was behind the nearside rear wheel exposed to all the elements. surely common sense would prevail, and site it, inside,away from the elements.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had another look and the indicators are working but not the tail and brake lights, would this still be the relay?
It's a 13 pin socket.

Mike
Could still be the relay but unlikely.
the relay has one common feed wire from a 12v source feeding all 7 relays.
each light should have its own bypass relay...2 x tail...2 x stop...2 x indicators and the 7th ..rear fog light.
the chances of 4 relays failing at once are pretty slim unless the box has filled with water.

13 pin socket still uses 7 pins for lighting and 1 or more pins for earths.
any others are for split charge and fridge for caravans etc.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Exactly what happened to mine.. In my case the cable had rubbed.. Needed the new Canbus friendly relay fitting and wiring replacing.. My relay was beside the battery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back