External screens..... help please (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I am considering getting some but I must confess I am confused :confused:

Can anyone tell me please are Silverscreen, Tailor-made and Paragon three separate companies or is Paragon the same as Silverscreen?

With this in mind any comments on the practical use and efficiency of these type of screens would be much appreciated.

I confess to being quite sceptical about their effectiveness. We only use the Remis internal blinds that came on the van and we get a fair amount of condensation when the outside is cooler. I am not too worried about that but I do feel colder when sat in the passenger side swivel chair and my wife maintains that I am sat in the draught created by the 'cold' glass.

Do they really improve the warmth and comfort inside the van?

Any advice please? Thank you (y)

Printermick

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
We have a silver screen that came with our van, fits side windows and windscreen in one piece.
We get no condensation when it is on, even in frost.

We would now not do without them, only take a few minutes to fit and put away now I am used to it.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi we have them, they came with the van. We use them more in the winter than the summer and they make a massive difference to the warmth of the van, also no condensation. They take no time to put on, but be aware they may have to be put away wet (in the bag) and are bulky to store, not a problem for us as we have a "wet" locker.

We don't use them when we wild camp.

Was surprised to see many vans with them on in the summer, all weekend with just the top rolled down in the day. I'm sure they help keep the van cooler but as a lover of sunshine I couldn't bare to be in a dark van.

Ours is in 3 sections but velcroed together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Silverscreens call their original model the 'Paragon'. Broken Link Removed
Taylormade is a different company.
We have Silverscreens on an A-class and would not be without them. Vital in winter to keep the large front screen free of condensation and the van warm. Also valuable in very hot sun to keep it cool.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
We have had both and found silver screen the best with the drop down front.

We have just changed back to an A class and will be selling our Silverscreens that fit the Ducato X250. We were going to wait till next season but would consider reasonable offers they are as new and 3 piece. Not cheap but good

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have both internal & external. The internal ones are good for wild camping as they can be removed without unlocking the doors however, they do not reduce condensation whatsoever. They are very popular in Europe. The external screens prevent almost all condensation and keep my van warmer in the winter. As has been said previously I wouldn't be without the external screens while in the UK.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There is a difference between silver Screens which can be anything silver that goes inside or outside windows and the product called silverscreen which.. along with Taylormade.. are probably the definitive external screen covers.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have Taylormade as they make a longer set which cover the ventilation holes on the bonnet, and believe me it's really worth having that!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have Taylormade as they make a longer set which cover the ventilation holes on the bonnet, and believe me it's really worth having that!
I saw that..... why? do they stop the draught from coming through the vents?

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Got last week Silver Screen for Fiat Ducato (advertise on EBay but called them direct). that they rate second, can't find any fault, £30.00 cheaper them First.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Regarding those longer Taylormade.. The only advantage I can see with them is that they protect the engine compartment from water entering... Which was one of the problems with the throttle body issue... ??
But not re heat or insulation?

Regarding using silver reflective things on summer and thermal screens in winter.. Why not just use thermal screens all year round?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've been trying to call Silverscreen on and off today with no answer. Are they full time or is it a sideline? There isn't an email address on their website.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have just bought Taylor Made blinds, I called round at there workshop and saved a tenner postage :LOL:
Very friendly, very good product. We got the extra long front to cover the air inlet to stop errrrrrrrrrrr, the air in letting :D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've been trying to call Silverscreen on and off today with no answer. Are they full time or is it a sideline? There isn't an email address on their website.
My experience is both companies are difficult to contact!

For silverscreens there is an email form on their website so I suggest trying that.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Our Silver Screens are starting to get a bit past there best and we are considering a new set. On the continent this year saw many with screens that were whitish in colour and appeared to be quite a bit thinner than ours, anyone an idea as to what they might have been and are they recommended ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Really, Taylor Made carries his phone around with him as it rang while I was with him, very welcoming when I called round. Opened the cover and showed me it's features and tips on how to fit it easily.
Top bloke.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

For silverscreens there is an email form on their website so I suggest trying that.

I can't find any email details or form on Silverscreens. Could you post a link please (y)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I have Silverscreen. Great product. Use them all year round. Great in the winter and keeps hot sun at bay in sunnier climes. Had them on the previous van and bought some for the new one. Bit pricey, but well worth the money and you can instantly feel the quality.

Mine come in three pieces, so I can roll down the middle section if necessary. They can be fitted in minutes. I find it easier to use a folding hop-up to reach and align the top centre section with the Velcro of the side panels.

As a footnote, during the winter, I turn the cab heater vents to 'internal' which prevents a bit of the cold air getting in. Also draw the internal cab curtains.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Our Silver Screens are starting to get a bit past there best and we are considering a new set. On the continent this year saw many with screens that were whitish in colour and appeared to be quite a bit thinner than ours, anyone an idea as to what they might have been and are they recommended ?

"Fiama Coverglass" thanks to Google, anyone recommend them ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fiamma cover glass is just a solar reflector and useless in winter. pretty flimsy too

silverscreens are the original manufacturers who came up with the product and are far superior. also models to fit far more vans

taylormade are just producing an inferior ripoff copy.

i have had all three and from use the only one i have kept and will recomend are genuine silverscreens. once you have experienced them, you wont want to do without again

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I've had Silverscreens in the past. They are very hard wearing.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I must admit our silver screens have served us extremely well. Even in the winter when the motorhome is not in use we have them on, hence the reason they are beginning to look a bit threadbare.

Feb 28, 2013
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We have had Taylor made for the last two years. We use them all year round, as well as insulation, they cover the air intake but more importantly, the scuttle below the windscreen that collects leaves if not covered.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just ordered from Silverscreens. Very helpful lady on the phone.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have just bought Taylor Made blinds, I called round at there workshop and saved a tenner postage :LOL:
Very friendly, very good product. We got the extra long front to cover the air inlet to stop errrrrrrrrrrr, the air in letting :D
Sorry to go on here.. But I am genuinely puzzled... To stop the air getting in what? The engine? The engine bay?
Again.. My view is they help because they stop water entering from the top of the engine and running down onto the throttle body... And that's obviously only on x250 fiat's..

Apr 30, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 2012
I'm going to be a bit cheeky and jump on this thread if that's ok

I sold my 2013 Peugeot Boxer and now have a 2014 mk7 Transit.
I have a set of Taylormade long external screens that ideally I would like to swap for Transit ones.
The screens were only used four times and cost £140 delivered, however they are now relegated to the shed.
I would sell them for £65 to anyone who wants to pick them up from Kincardine in Fife (no postage)
Anyone interested please pm me.

Thanks

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Really, Taylor Made carries his phone around with him as it rang while I was with him, very welcoming when I called round. Opened the cover and showed me it's features and tips on how to fit it easily.
Top bloke.

Agree with that Knee, we got our first set from him and he was doing a bespoke service at the time.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back