LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
can anyone tell me if i should buy all the seperate books on aires ie;france(already purchased)spain germany etc or does the camperstop europe cover all that i would need

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
There are definitely lots of cross overs so I am sure the camperstop would suffice but I must admit to having the aires books as well as I like the details.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
ok thx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Would buy the whole lot together with the Bordatlas from Germany. They do not, as they say contain "all the aires" but should be renamed "Some of the aires" Try also Camping car infos, which has free download of POI's for aires throughout europe.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Bill, we use only the Camperstop book, which covers EU and UK, all be it very limited UK......... You can also download the "poi" for tomtom etc which matches the book reference. This is very handy for checking before routing to campsite.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I believe there will be a new version of the 'All the Aires France' released in the new year so unless you need one now it would be worth delaying getting one. I do like the detail in it and find it easier to follow than the others.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i have the aires of france already but was more concerned that like a compilation music album you buy all the different books yet you can get just 1 that covers em all

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
dont need it till next year so beni will do mate

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
i have the aires of france already

Sorry missed that bit.

I have found one or two in the french books that are not in the UK one but as you indicate most are duplicated. It could just be that some aires are opened after one has gone to press but get included in another. I have also picked the odd one up from the french mags. I tend to keep to the UK one in France & Camperstops in Germany.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Have Camperstop, but like the Pics in All the Aires... Camperstop also works seamlessly with the downloaded app "TomTom", if you have them both on an I-Pad with GPS.. Then you don't really need a load of books and Camperstop works offline as well... Hope I'm not teaching egg sucking..

Mitch.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
"CAMPERSTOP" is our BIBLE! GPS is brilliant so long as you use correct format on your Sat Nav.
Of course there are not as many "aries" as all the books put together (there must be at least 5 or 6 books) At an average price of £10 = £60 compared with £20 for Camperstop. This is the one we use and have never not been able to find some where to stay.
colyboy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Dont bother with the books have camper stop and aires on the sat nag. drive>get tired> press a few button> select aire> get the head down....simples :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Dont bother with the books have camper stop and aires on the sat nag. drive>get tired> press a few button> select aire> get the head down....simples :)
How exactly does that in reality?
How do you pick an appropriate site?

We normally use the Aires book or ASCI app then put co ordinates into satnav

Regards
Robert

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Regards
Robert

Same here to much reliance on gadgets for me I like to choose where I stay myself rather than rely on a gadget to do it for me. We use Aires books and ACSI that's it used to use Alan Rogers but don't bother with that either as the other two cover it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Regards
Robert

only use Aires on route as long as there is space and not noisey its good enough. you get a good idea by the location on sat nav screen as to how close to a main road it will be. In over 2o years at this have only not liked an aire once or twice and moved on.....

you can still use the book as well for planning . but coordinates will already be in the satnav if you have downloaded the set

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We use Campingcar magazine Aires book along with Campingcar infos POI on the satnag. Have found this combination works very well in most of Europe. The book is very good for seeing if the aire is open in the winter and how many vans the aire takes

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Take yourself back to your youth. (Whatever youe gender)

Go into a palais de dance, dance hall or disco, (that should cover all age groups)

You are on ' the pull'

One hall has three thousand members of the opposite (or same) sex,
the next has four thousand people, and finally, the last one has five thousand.

Far be it from me tell you which hall to choose but after the cupboard that is the U K. Any better choice has to be a good thing.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think we've probably got every reference about French Aires going, including POI files and the downloaded PDF file from I-Camping. And yet we still spot others!
So I was a bit disappointed with the Camperstop offering although it is still more than adequate if it's all you've got.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have now starting to use the Campercontact app on my Android phone (designed by the Netherlands Camper Club) to choose Aires. I also have the Sygic sat nav. Both you have to pay for but both have all their information and data stored on the phone, so you do not need to access expensive roaming charges to use them in Europe.

With the Campercontact App, you browse and select the Aire you want. Then choose the "route" button and then the next screen give you the option to use Sygic or Google Maps. Choose Sygic and it opens and plots the route from where you are now to the Aire you have chosen. Then hit navigate and off you go following the instructions. Exactly as technology should be - simples. And no roaming charges.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We also have the Campercontact app on our I pad and for less than £5 it is good value . When online it has often found nearest Aires and stellpatzes by just turning it on ....at the moment my nearest aire is in Iceland ....I am in Florida !

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Not sure this is the right thread, but please would someone mind explaining exactly - what is an 'aire' ?

Reactions: JJ

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We also have the Campercontact app on our I pad and for less than £5 it is good value . When online it has often found nearest Aires and stellpatzes by just turning it on ....at the moment my nearest aire is in Iceland ....I am in Florida !

I installed this and was going to try and have a play while in Europe in December before paying.. but catch 22 as if it is any good it would be useful while we are there.. you would reccomend it to others?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It's £3.99 not a lots to spend and will probably save you more in the long run. (y)
Must be the first time an iPhone was cheaper than android.. £4.25 on Android lol

I was thinking if the app was no good I'd rather spend the money on a book but like you say it isn't a lot.. Will put my hands in my virtual pockets...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not sure this is the right thread, but please would someone mind explaining exactly - what is an 'aire' ?

A good question.

"Aires" mean different things to different people.

I always thought an "aire" to be a resting place on the side of major roads in France.

Many refer to "Aires" as places to stop where you can park for the night, empty your cassette and get water often for a fee. I always used to call these campsites!

As far as I understand these days they are parking places with varying degrees of facilities where you can stop in your motorhome for the night or nights.

I rarely use them as they are often quite crowded and I hate having strangers living only a few feet from my window.

JJ :cool:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
A good question.

"Aires" mean different things to different people.

I always thought an "aire" to be a resting place on the side of major roads in France.

Many refer to "Aires" as places to stop where you can park for the night, empty your cassette and get water often for a fee. I always used to call these campsites!

As far as I understand these days they are parking places with varying degrees of facilities where you can stop in your motorhome for the night or nights.

I rarely use them as they are often quite crowded and I hate having strangers living only a few feet from my window.

JJ :cool:
They are the thing that tipped is over the edge when deciding whether or not to buy a new camper. We spend a lot of weekends in France and drive over Friday night, get a cheap crossing and stay in premier Classe hotels just to explore. As we explored further from Calais we found that sometimes we were having to drive too late into the night to really be safe and the idea of being able to pull in and sleep pretty quickly after we started feeling tired without running the risk of upsetting the locals really was what clinched the deal on a camper. We have had it 4 months and have had plenty trips in the UK but our first European trip is coming up in 3 weeks... We did explore some Aires last trip out in the car and were really impressed.. certainly beats a layby on the a30 if all you want is to pull in and sleep I reckon...

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I installed this and was going to try and have a play while in Europe in December before paying.. but catch 22 as if it is any good it would be useful while we are there.. you would reccomend it to others?

Hi

Yes I would recommend it since it is well worth the money when you are online .We got out of a really horrible traffic jam in Germany using it our asking it to find a Stellplatz nearby which it did and we were glad to get off the Autobahn and spent the night in a nice riverside Stellplatz free of charge . That alone was worth the money . We also used it in France as well as later in Scotland .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back