Simple Sat Nav for Simple Person (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I just want one to do two simple things. one, show me where to go.
two, allow me to download all the aires that are about on some of these downloads.

oh and three, work in europe.

any help, anyone upgrading?

:winky:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just bought a Tom-Tom Go 930 Traffic off fleabay,, just over £200,, brand new, Sold in Asda Catalogue on line for £399. ::bigsmile:

Seems to do as much as you want or least as you want.. :thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
two, allow me to download all the aires that are about on some of these downloads.

Do they have Aires in Wales then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Garmin 250W Europe and think it's very good. The 'W' means it ha a wider screen than the standard version which is easier to work with in my opinion. It has street-level mapping for most of Europe and accepts Lat/Long coordinates in several formats. I have just uploaded all the Aires from Camping Car Infos : a fairly easy process but you have to convert the file format to csv. There are free to use utilities on the internet to do this. Then download the Garmin POI-loader and away you go.

I bought Garmin rather than TomTom for three reasons:
1. The guy in Halfords told me they have more faulty returns from TomTom.
2. I was told that LatLong coord inputs were not available on all TomToms (not sure if this is true now).
3. Garmin virtually invented SatNavs and have been making them for years. TomTom is a relatively recent Dutch company that some might say has a reputation for better marketing than product.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Tom Tom One XL Europe..

Great device, used it for over a year all over europe, no bells or whistles, easy to upload pois and manage, simply put, it does what it says on the box..

Tom Tom is the way to go ..:thumb: 10/10

Prior to TT I used a Magellan Roadmate 700, an absolute pain..

Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
new TomTom advertised on TV at the moment but for the life of me i cant remember where......super slim and £99.99.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Tom Tom is the way to go ..:thumb: 10/10

Jim
Agree entirely. Not just because i have a TomTom (mine is an old Go700 model but has a high spec in comparison to later models), but TomTom is possibly the biggest seller in satnavs and has a wide range of mapping and downloads available.

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No

If you dont mind buying a refurb unit, you can make some decent savings, and it will still come with the full 12 months manufacturer warranty.
I found this refurb Tom Tom ONE V3 for £80

Link Removed

Last edited:

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi JeanLuc or any other folks who could help me with my problem regards loading POI's onto my Garmin W250 Nuvi.
I have been into the net and downloaded the POI request. So far so good. A frame appeared asking where I wanted it downloaded to. I clicked onto my Garmin Device, then I clicked next. Here is my problem:- Up popped a note saying,
"There are no Data files in that directory. Please specify a directory that contains at least one file with a .csv or .gpx extention"
I don't know what a .csv or .gpx extension is. Perhaps someone could help me how to go about advicing me how I need to go further. I would appreciate a very simple move for move instruction as I am as dumb as they come with computers. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi JeanLuc or any other folks who could help me with my problem regards loading POI's onto my Garmin W250 Nuvi.
I have been into the net and downloaded the POI request. So far so good. A frame appeared asking where I wanted it downloaded to. I clicked onto my Garmin Device, then I clicked next. Here is my problem:- Up popped a note saying,
"There are no Data files in that directory. Please specify a directory that contains at least one file with a .csv or .gpx extention"
I don't know what a .csv or .gpx extension is. Perhaps someone could help me how to go about advicing me how I need to go further. I would appreciate a very simple move for move instruction as I am as dumb as they come with computers. Thanks in advance.

Firstly, Have you downloaded the software application from Garmin website called "POI Loader"? That is what you use to upload the POI files to your Nüvi. The POI files you want to upload can be in either the csv or gpx format. (See below for explanations if you are not clear what this means.) Once you have that installed on your computer, place the CSV or GPX files you want to upload in a folder - it can be located anywhere on your PC.
Then switch on the Nüvi and connect it to the PC via USB. Then open POI Loader and it should auto-detect the Nüvi. Then tell POI Loader the path to the folder that contains your csv or gpx files and click on the relevant buttons in POI Loader to upload. Note: ALL the files in the folder will be uploaded and they will REPLACE any custom POI files that were already in the Nüvi. If you have never done this before it will not contain any so no need to worry the first time. If you decide to add some more POI files aat a later date, be sure that the original source files are still in your folder on the PC as well as adding your new ones to it. Ten the whole lot will be uploaded again.

File formats: Garmin devices recognise both .csv and .gpx file types. A csv is simple text file where the different elements of the latitude and longitude plus description of the location, are separated by commas. gpx is a more complex format that can also be used. I believe it can contain more information but have never used it myself.

You can read instructions about this on the Garmin website.

Hope all goes well.

Philip

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Thank you Phillip, I will have a go at trying to get the csv and gpx. I will come back to you if I fail. once again thanks.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you Phillip, I will have a go at trying to get the csv and gpx. I will come back to you if I fail. once again thanks.

If you need to convert file formats - e.g. from the TomTom .ov2 format to .csv, here is a useful website with tools to do it.

Convert CSV, GPX, OV2, KML, LMX, etc.

Also, if you would like a pdf of the Garmin instructions about POIs, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it. Apparently the file is larger than allowed as an upload here.

Philip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back