dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
looking to go to Spain February or march .as any one used carefree and there winter rallies ? .would you recommend them .we will not be using them for ferries got tesco vouchers for the tunnel.
we have been to france a few times now ,no problem ,but have never been to spain .

retrac

Free Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
20yrs plus
Carefree

Hi, Used carefree last year for the first time and enjoyed rally very much. the stewards were fantastic :Smile: ( I think a rally depends on what they're like) Lots of trips, activities, walks etc organised if you want to join in, but not made to feel outsiders if you didn't.
We're off again end of Dec.with Carefree again and this time trying various rallies for a month at a time to see if they come up to the standard of last year, as that was our first entry into retirement and winter away we really enjoyed the social side of it. We realise that this sort of holiday won't be enjoyed by everyone, but for us it was great introduction to winters away.

Hope you enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do.

JAY KAY

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Shotgate, Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
15+
Carefree :thumb:

We used Carefree to stay at La Manga, Spain on a winter rally, we could only stay for couple of weeks but it was great and everyone was very friendly although they could not understand why we would go all that way for a couple of weeks but they were there for 4-5 months, the joys of retirement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
it's a good idea to book onto a rally for a couple of weeks at the start of a visit to a new country.

many of the ralliers have been rallying in these countries for years and they can give you loads of tips & info.

if you like the rally then stay a few more weeks but a couple of weeks is enough for me as i prefer to wildcamp.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Iv'e never used Carefree Rally myself but have called in on some of the sites they use whilst the rally was there.Moncoffa, La Manga, Quevas Mar Albufera etc.and from what I saw the rallies were well run and people on them were having a good time.I think these rallies are a good idea for first timers and the unadventurists and those who must have everything organised for them.Spain is such an easy Country to be in with a campervan , and all the years we have been going there we have never had to book a campsite as there is always pitches available, except maybee Benidorm, but even there with a bit of patience you eventually get a pitch of your choice ,we prefer to wild camp where we can and only use a site occassionally.So I would say give one a try for a few weeks see if it suits you, :thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Do any of you know if you can join one of the rallies when you get there, by that I mean if you were wondering what to do or where to go and you were near one of the rally sites could you (assuming you are a member of the club) just approach the rally marshalls and ask to join in ?

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
looking at the carefree book i think you have to book with them .jiving them 24 hours notice to book your site ,but if already on site you can book with site or rally stewards
this is link to carefree book Link Removed page 29 . :Smile:

Deleted User
Iv'e never used Carefree Rally myself but have called in on some of the sites they use whilst the rally was there.Moncoffa, La Manga, Quevas Mar Albufera etc.and from what I saw the rallies were well run and people on them were having a good time.I think these rallies are a good idea for first timers and the unadventurists and those who must have everything organised for them.Spain is such an easy Country to be in with a campervan , and all the years we have been going there we have never had to book a campsite as there is always pitches available, except maybee Benidorm, but even there with a bit of patience you eventually get a pitch of your choice ,we prefer to wild camp where we can and only use a site occassionally.So I would say give one a try for a few weeks see if it suits you, :thumb:

I , like vindiboy , have never been on a rally or ever felt the need to and have toured Spain and France with a caravan for many years without ever pre booking.Ths year we are touring with a fifth wheel trailer and whilst realising that our choice of sites would be limited due to size we are at present on a site where all the large pitches have been block booked by a "Carefree" rally from January until April meaning that unless I join the rally, which I believe is fully booked, I have to move to another site. This despite being a member of the CCC. Does anybody else think that this is reasonable as this also affects our european friends or IS IT ME!

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, matamoros

I can understand your frustration and must admit if i were in your position i wouldn't be that happy, but i suppose its no different to anyone block booking not just the CCC, can't you squeeze onto another pitch somewhere else on the site and perhaps park the tractor section/tow car elsewhere on the site, just a thought

I , like vindiboy , have never been on a rally or ever felt the need to and have toured Spain and France with a caravan for many years without ever pre booking.Ths year we are touring with a fifth wheel trailer and whilst realising that our choice of sites would be limited due to size we are at present on a site where all the large pitches have been block booked by a "Carefree" rally from January until April meaning that unless I join the rally, which I believe is fully booked, I have to move to another site. This despite being a member of the CCC. Does anybody else think that this is reasonable as this also affects our european friends or IS IT ME!

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi braunston

there is no 'one fits all answer'.

once i turned up & was able to book onto the site with the site management & the marshalls allowed me to join the rally. this meant i didn't have to pay for hook-up that i don't need.

same site a couple of years later when i only wanted to visit some friends on the rally & arrange to hire a minibus for the family who were flying into faro a couple of weeks later. the marshalls would not let me on the rally unless i booked it with carefree. i got a phone card from the site reception ( 300 minutes of calls to uk landlines for 5 euros ) and used the phone outside reception. i had to wait until carefree faxed the details of my booking to the site.

i won't bother again. i'll just wildcamp nearby & text my friends to arrange to meet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back