WHAT A LOAD OF BOWLS (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Good evening to you all, what a fantastic website! having worked abroad for the last 20 years my wife and I are now retired and the proud owner of a motor home Yes WEGONANDUNNIT. Cant wait to get out on the road, when I'm not bowling that is. I bowl at the Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club so if your down this way (Dorset) come and try bowling your most welcome. The following is an article that I did for my Local magazine. Be lucky.

Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club
Winning International and National titles are not enough for the members of the Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club. Their Roll of Honour for 2013/14 includes The Ladies English Internationalists’, National Champion of Champions, British Isles Qualifiers, National Qualifiers and now the crown of The 2014 Dorset County Mixed Summer League has been lifted by our very own League manager Peter Bloomfield...
BOWLS TRULY IS THE SPORT FOR ALL.
Much respected for her ambassadorial dignity head coach Jenny Osborne and her team are more than qualified to take you from beginner to the highest level in bowling. Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club, (BIBC) are passionate about promoting bowls in our area and they prove it can be played by all ages, abilities and genders – making it the perfect sport for all.
Like all sports, the object of bowls is essentially simple, but to be able to play consistently well demands determination, concentration and practice. Bowls is 70% mental and 30% practice. Bowls is a sport for life – just try it! You’ll be amazed at what you can achieve. It has been medically proven that bowls improves your general health and helps to strengthen the immune system.
Due to the numerous muscles you use during a game, bowls is a good full-body motion and the social side boosts psychological and emotional health. Bowls is primarily an aerobic sport because you are not giving your cardiovascular system a workout. Bowling stretches the muscles you use and conditions others. (Keeps you very fit Ladies!)
BIBC are committed to welcoming new members throughout the year, great friendships can be formed improving the quality of life for all, most bowlers take up the sport for friendship, recreation, relaxation and exercise. Some become very competitive! With a licensed bar and restaurant this is the perfect place to make and meet friends. I look forward to seeing you on the rinks, not sure? call me and I will point you in the right direction to arrange your coaching sessions. Bring your husband, wife or partner if you wish bring someone else’s husband, wife or partner, I think you get the message.
With two sessions weekly of 'Try Bowls', Wednesday 6-8 pm and Friday 4-6 pm. And small classes of 4 bowlers per rink you will be assured of reaching a very high standard.
BE SPECIAL - COME AND JOIN US - YOU ARE MOST WELCOME!
For the past 12 years BIBC have run bowling for the visually impaired residents of Dorset, these sessions are held twice monthly and the club are very proud of the organisational skills of Vic and Yvonne Cloud who with their team of experienced bowlers create the perfect environment for those who have a sensory loss. This type of community spirit is what makes Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club so special.
Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club, Kings Park, BH7 6JD. Telephone 01202 394439-----www.BIBC.co.uk.
Until next month, Be Happy, Keep Bowling, Follow your Faith, David.
David Stratton Community Coordinator for The Local Eye

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and a warm welcome to MHF(y):)
brian & jo

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
..... can we still be your friend if we don't bowl ... :(

Welcome to the forum .. may you enjoy posting and telling us about your motorhome adventures. :)

OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Blimey! having read all the above I can't imagine how I could possibly fit in everything that I intended to do in retirement, Yes Movan friends are the most important part of life

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi & :welc:

we bowl too
Yes, that cricket ball really hurt..........

A really Interesting intro - it looks to be incredibly tactical and totally unlike the historic image. They used to televise the indoor bowls championships, but don't know if they still do. Any sport that exercises body and mind has to be good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Yes, that cricket ball really hurt..........

A really Interesting intro - it looks to be incredibly tactical and totally unlike the historic image. They used to televise the indoor bowls championships, but don't know if they still do. Any sport that exercises body and mind has to be good
No, Dux, we do actually play bowls

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
serious question for once; I have recently been given a set of bowls, which havent seen use since the 1980s. Has technology moved on, and are they worth anything any more?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome from an ex bowler who found that internal club politics spoiled the game. I recently sold my hensellite tigers and will buy some more woods when I feel old enough to start again-I'm only 77 now :D

OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi The Big 1,

Bowls come in all shapes and sizes and are being improved upon all the time. For every day bowling, indoor or outdoors, I'm sure your bowls would work well, however, should you decide to hit the National levels then the Umpire would be checking that the lozenge on your bowls carries the up to date stamp, this expires every ten years. If you post me a reply and include the make, and model I will give you an idea of value (if in doubt copy all that is on the bowl) I am assuming that they are not made of wood, wooden bowls are being purchased by wood turners to turn into fruit bowls, gavel heads and egg cups!!!

Mike and Carolyn

How right you are!!! I think it goes with those who reinvent themselves when they become chronologically gifted.;););)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to crown green and still carry my woods, but not much call for it in Spain. Petanque is the game here and I play most afternoons.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikey, I just looked in here to see what kind of bowls someone would write about......... Soup? Pudding? Fruit?

I dunno why but I didn't expect it to be about the sport of bowling :eek:

OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi Snowbird, yes your so right no crown greeners in Spain, I lived on the Costa Blanca for 14 years and played bowls and petanque.

Be lucky

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was once told its better to be born lucky than good looking. jeez, I must have been an ugly b*****d. :D

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We are both bowlers but have found it impossible to bowl competively and motorhome in the summer we only take our motorhome when we qualify for Leamington and it stays in storage for the rest of the summer.
We take off to Spain for the winter and have looked at the site at Los Gallados which has a bowls green, but the camping is not good for a whole winter and too far away from the coast without a car.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome to the FUN here. :welc:

Mike

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi and welcome.

My Mum is into crown green bowling. I always marvel at the quality of the grass at her local club. It's immaculate.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi and welcome.

My Mum is into crown green bowling. I always marvel at the quality of the grass at her local club. It's immaculate.
It was about 30 years ago that they used to televise crown green bowling - it was fascinating to watch

Deleted User
Hello and welcome. There is a lot of unbiased opinion on this website about all things. I used to visit Weymouth area a lot and have played indoors at Moonfleet and also on occasions entered the Weymouth outdoor open competition but never did any good.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome, we have lots of well subscribed threads about bowels and how to deal with them. You will fit in well and your expertise will be appreciated. They have had bowel clubs since at least Roman times I believe, though I think the one pictured below is some form of early prototype 10 pin boweling lane as it has a gutter around it so they can return their balls:

img_6316.jpg

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Welcome David,having played a few times it is not an 'old mans game'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back