Free Member
Jul 21, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer motorhome
Exp
since the 70s
I have just bought a Coleman Unleaded fuel lamp for use in the Motorhome on the dark nights. I am now wondering if it will give off Carbon Monoxide in the van. Has anyone used these in a closed space ?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
From the Coleman website ........

"Indoor use of Coleman® burning fuel appliances
Your Coleman® stove and lantern using liquid fuel or propane are designed for outdoor use only. All fuel appliances (Stoves and Lanterns) should be used outdoors in well-ventilated"..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Do you not have battery power? If not there are some quite good rechargeable.. (possibly also made by coleman) led lanterns that would do the job for you.

.. Something like this
Broken Link Removed
Shop around for best price

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
yes they give off CO.. and as pointed out, the instructions say only to use outdoors..

I have two old Tilley lanterns I use for camping and at home for power cuts .. but only used with good ventilation .. ie at least two windows open.

Tilley table versions were made for indoors.. maybe they didn't know about CO poisoning or else houses had so many drafts they never thought it a risk.
By comparison, modern homes are almost air tight..

1329165397-SDC14348.JPG

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I've used open gas propane heaters when necessary in motorhomes, including the flowerpot solution on the cooker. I've usually had a window and roof vent open and never done it when when I'm in bed. I also have a CO alarm, which has never gone off although I test it regularly. Not crazy about the fumes from such devices anyway so I wouldn't recommend it on that score alone. I have a friend whose only source of heating is a single flowerpot on the cooker and he's been doing this for years. I had to buy him a CO alarm. He was sceptical on the basis that he didn't die yesterday so he's unlikely to die tomorrow.

I remember in one van I owned it was the only source of heating. Not happy with the fumes I stacked 6 flowerpots in a column above the cooker until they reached the extractor fan, leaving the flowerpot holes unblocked. This produced a good heat with the cooker on its lowest setting and the fumes were extracted at the top by the fan. Because of the extraction fan I was able to keep the windows closed and just left the roof vents open. Unfortunately extractor fans seem to be going out of fashion. Why? If manufacturers thought we needed them before why do they think we do not need them now?

These things can give off CO as well as other unpleasant stuff. You do take a serious risk by using such methods and I would not recommend them if there is any other alternative available.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An appliance burning with a completely blue flame gives off no CO. It does, however, use up oxygen & replaces it with CO2. When there's enough CO2 you will suffocate but long before that the appliance will have insufficient oxygen to burn correctly, the flame will turn yellow, and it will give off CO. CO is poisonous. CO2 is harmless but displaces oxygen. Any modern flueless appliance (including some domestic fixed gas heaters) will have an oxygen depletion sensor that shuts off the appliance before it starts to produce CO.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If manufacturers thought we needed them [extractor fans] before why do they think we do not need them now?
Maybe they think we all have more sense than to use stuff we know we shouldn't??? Like, stuff that could kill us???

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
yes they give off CO.. and as pointed out, the instructions say only to use outdoors..

I have two old Tilley lanterns I use for camping and at home for power cuts .. but only used with good ventilation .. ie at least two windows open.

Tilley table versions were made for indoors.. maybe they didn't know about CO poisoning or else houses had so many drafts they never thought it a risk.
By comparison, modern homes are almost air tight..

1329165397-SDC14348.JPG

Wow thats the prettiest tilley I've ever seen and coming from the F/islands, I've seen a few(y)

OP
OP
ecky

ecky

Free Member
Jul 21, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer motorhome
Exp
since the 70s
Got the message everyone....Thanks.
P.s Anyone looking to buy a Coleman lamp?
Ecky.

Reactions: CWH

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Already have 3 coleman lamps, wouldn't be without them for sitting outside on a warm evening.
For indoors, you could get one of
Use the Coleman outside so you can see when your wine glass needs topping up.
Allan

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Maybe they think we all have more sense than to use stuff we know we shouldn't??? Like, stuff that could kill us???
Extractor fans over cookers are used to remove steam from cooking, and cooking smells. Where do they imagine that steam goes now? As for other uses I suggest informed adults are free to make their own choices.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete owns both a Coleman unleaded petrol stove and a lamp - bosting to take camping in a tent cos you do your cooking outside and stand the lamp either outside or just by the - open! - doorway of the tent/bivvy.

Used to take that stove when camping on the bike - used to siphon some petrol out of the Blackbird tank when the stove needed filling! Ace thing to take because they are comparatively tiny, and in use again this last year on the lake bank whilst they were fishing.

The glass shades of the lamps get exceedingly hot so 'inside' is not a good idea one way or the other, even if the CO2 problem wasn't an issue.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I then tried to add

In any event, even though the solid plastic carrying case for the lamp is sturdy it is also quite large and all that shaking about on bumpy roads/camping areas will probably mean the mantle gets broken more often, and will the shade withstand it all for long?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Aint gonna tell you how we keep warm in winter during the night..
All you lot will be up in arms and telling me we are gonna die..
But 7 years on and we aint dead yet ( but I do have a DECENT CO2 detector fitted and am so paranoid I check it almost daily and replace the battery very regularly ! )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
See !!!! I bloody knew it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back