Had a rethink (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
we have come to the conclusion that Motorhoming has too many problems for us to overcome, so we have decided after a day of full on soul searching, that a caravan will suit our needs better. One of the biggest problems being lack of a smaller vehicle for going into cities etc ( we didn't want a trailer as too heavy for me to deal with). The huge costs involved was another factor in the equation. Neither of us was happy with a£97k cost that loses goodness knows how much as soon as you drive it away. This suits us better in so many ways. We like the Hobby Landhaus with the Ssangyong Rexton as a tow car. But seeing as we've paid our subs, hope it's ok to stay with you as a wasgonnabebutnolongerable! :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One of the most useful things I get out of this site is information on places to go and stay - and you can do that in a caravan as well as a MH. So please tell us where you go in your engineless motorhome, no where is too small or to close or far away - CLs, laybys, car parks, in this country or in places further afield. I doubt Jim will be upset if we gradually gather tugging members - if that doesn't sound too rude.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Dream of it all the time. We stopped when the kids got older. Then Steve had his accident and life changed dramatically for us. We found South Africa and adore the place, we may even end up there, but in the meantime the desire for an adventure, a change of scenery and adventure is very strong and if not now.......when? Still lots of research to do, but very determined. :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so we have decided after a day of full on soul searching, that a caravan will suit our needs better.

Many motorhomers, if they analysed their needs properly would come to the same conclusion.

It makes no sense to me to tow a car ( in the past on an A-frame ) so wearing out two vehicles, paying two taxes and insurance and then parking up for weeks on end.

A caravan gives better accommodation at a fraction of the cost.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
we quite often think that the MH is too big but usually manage to get parked somewhere, quite often look for sites within walking distance of small towns or with bus stop near by.
But the main thing to keep in mind, its what suits you both best and whether that a caravan or MH just make sure you use it and enjoy using it

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Dream of it all the time. We stopped when the kids got older. Then Steve had his accident and life changed dramatically for us. We found South Africa and adore the place, we may even end up there, but in the meantime the desire for an adventure, a change of scenery and adventure is very strong and if not now.......when? Still lots of research to do, but very determined. :)

Best advice ever given "Do it now". Many say later, then regret it later.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good luck with the Rexton.....load of xxxx.

I had a Korando a few years ago and apart from the (extremely thirsty) 2.3 merc engine it was nothing but expensive trouble.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
we quite often think that the MH is too big but usually manage to get parked somewhere, quite often look for sites within walking distance of small towns or with bus stop near by.
But the main thing to keep in mind, its what suits you both best and whether that a caravan or MH just make sure you use it and enjoy using it

Buses are often not wheelchair accessible and what is a short stroll for able bodied people can turn into a marathon with the wheelchair. Cambers are awful. High kerbs, big drainage channels, cobbles are all a nightmare in the wheelchair. Its why we like to park as close to where we want to explore as possible. Otherwise it's hot sweaty exhausting work...for me! M yes we have a motorised wheelchair, but the number of times they have broken down is unbelievable and its me that has to walk back to wherever to get the manual wheelchair and then push the broken motorised one back to the car. It's really no fun at all. Blisters and backache! Not too mention grouchy. ;)

We plan to use it 24/7 for 365 for three or four years. Then we might decide to settle down, or we will keep going! There are a lot of places we want to see!

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Good luck with the Rexton.....load of xxxx.

I had a Korando a few years ago and apart from the (extremely thirsty) 2.3 merc engine it was nothing but expensive trouble.

If motability have an option with a lot of pulling power then we may stick with them. It's peace of mind motoring.

We had a Renault espace that was c**p . Another reason to opt for a caravan. At least if the vehicle has problems we still have a nest to hole up in and cry.....;)

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
So is the correct terminology tuggers and chuggers? ;)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Makes no difference what you have you are still a funster, good luck with your search for a caravan, always best to go for the best solution for you, let us know how you get on

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If motability have an option with a lot of pulling power then we may stick with them. It's peace of mind motoring.

We had a Renault espace that was c**p . Another reason to opt for a caravan. At least if the vehicle has problems we still have a nest to hole up in and cry.....;)
Funny, but the reason we gave up with caravanning after nearly forty years, and switched to a MH, was the hassle of towing on today's roads, setting up taking the best part of two hours, then packing up again in the rain.....We find it so easy and non stressful, just to park up, plug in, and relax.
However, even though I will never go back to pulling a van again, can only wish you both the best of luck.....Enjoy! (y)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The grass always looks greener on the other side.......

Most find motorhoming far more convenient than caravans. With a disability you just need to research where you intend to stay more carefully. And if staying in one spot there is always car hire if public transport not convenient. But really it's all down to the planning.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We changed from a large a class Winnebago, to a fifth wheel outfit. Not dissimilar to a caravan. It suits us fine at the moment, arrive, push button for legs down, push button for slide out, plug in, done. That leave us with a truck to move around in. Ideal for us. Nothing is perfect.
Sometimes we hanker for an A, or B class, but, not just yet. I think.

Craig

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A very good friend of ours has this summer changed from a motorhome to a caravan, they bought a brand new Bailey.
After their first summer they confessed it was the biggest mistake they had made, yes they have a family saloon to travel around in when they get to their destination but the hassle of loading and hitching up then the stress of towing only to have to unhitch and set up the caravan when they arrive is just too much.

They would often go away for short and weekend breaks in the motorhome, now with all the hassle of setting up the caravan they don`t do that anymore.
A real shame as they lost the excitement they had with the motorhome, they also think the caravan build quality isn`t as good as that of a motorhome, everything just feels so much more flimsy.

One size certainly doesn`t suit all.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Bang on there robnchris.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Cat53

Whatever you do I am sure you will enjoy it, we caravanned for lots of years before the motorhome and I liked towing and to be honest I did not find the setting up much of a problem either we had an onboard water tank so could have the kettle on within minutes of coming off the towball, E&P do automatic levellers so no winding legs if you dont fancy that and yes you will have transport which is obviously important to you.

ENJOY

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
We never had a caravan, came to motor homing through the camper van route. The thing we like most about our m/h is as a day van. Because it is small we can park almost anywhere, then we have our "house in the country" for meals etc after walking the dogs. We do go away in it a few times a year as well, but it gets a lot more use as a day van. Must admit we are thinking of becoming tuggers when we retire and go away for longer, but will probably keep the m/h as the tow vehicle. Got to check all the costs first.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
... The huge costs involved was another factor in the equation. Neither of us was happy with a£97k cost that loses goodness knows how much as soon as you drive it away. .....

Would you really need to spend that much to get what you need in a MH?

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Since about 1970 we have had 2 caravans, a Volkswagen LT based campervan, a Hymer 694 and now the TREK (RV) and, financially, would prefer a caravan - but only financially!

For us the speed and ease of setting up, not having much to pack up before moving, ability to stop nearly anywhere and use the loo on motorways (after making a cuppa) win over the money every time.

Before you jump I would suggest that you have a look at the many MHs available for much less than the £90K plus that you mention.

Although we love our way of doing it I often tell people that if I had £100K to spend I would not be staying in any form of 'shed'.

Please do your homework to try and ensure it is not a costly mistake - good advice is to try and buy your last MH first.

Good luck with whatever you decide and please keep is informed.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My twopenth , for what it's worth, don't know your details but if as you say you are in a wheel chair, I would have thought it would be far easier in a mh when setting up, and the fact you can just stop anywhere must be a consideration, I have friends with caravans and mhs so no axe to grind, and as you say they are far cheaper to buy and run and your car wouldn't be standing when not useing your van, but also must be taken in consideration and you wouldn't be able to park on aires so campsite fees would come in to it, and don't know where you get 97 grand from , surely a third of that would get you somthing adequate.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
The 97k is the quote we received from Coachbuilt GB to make a Kon Tiki 649 wheelchair accessible. Steve refuses to entertain the idea of a used Motorhome mainly because of the engine. He wants the reliability of new. I think this is the PTSD talking as he does find unexpected 'problems' causes him a lot of stress. He used to be able to handle anything life threw at him. He wants adventure with as much peace of mind as possible. As for two hours to set up a caravan...really? What on earth were you doing.? Surely everything has to be put away in a Motorhome when you just want to go to the shops? We are giving ourselves plenty of time to investigate different options. Look at the possible problems, see if they can be solved and if not, then Cape Town here we come.....which still has a pull and we have lived there. Also have good friends there.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
My sister and her husband bought an RV Safari trek a couple of years ago and loved the space etc. but my sister was too nervous a passenger and they decided to sell. They bought a caravan and tow car. They are now really happy she forgets it's there. Also helps as my BIL has mobility problems and can't walk far. They made sure it had a motor mover (essential). They also bought an air awning from Kampa. To get over the setup they keep all outdoor stuff in the boot of the car. That way if it is raining when they get to a site then it is legs down and the rest can be done later.

At exactly the same time we went from a caravan to a MH. We love touring and find everything easier.

Good luck with what ever choice you make as everyone needs/wants different things.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
+ not being able to overnight on convenient Aires, in towns and cities or on route somewhere:Eeek:

always having to looks for a campsite?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back