Aldi - Tyre traction tracks £9.99 (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Mind you, don't fancy trying to get them back in that bag covered in sh*t n snot:p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I picked some up on the last promo as a "just in case" Not had to use them yet :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mind you, don't fancy trying to get them back in that bag covered in sh*t n snot:p
Stuff the bag....a bang on the ground to get the worst off then straight in a locker.
the rebagging comes later when they are dry.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As said above they must be horrible to handle and pack away after using on mud especially, you can bet your luck they will get used on somebody else who is stuck and hasn't got any, they then vanish with a wave leaving you with the mess :rolleyes:

edit PJ's response is maybe better and a little less cynical than mine

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I picked some up on the last promo as a "just in case" Not had to use them yet :)
Must have missed that week.

I bought some £150 snow chains 2 years ago.....still aint used those either.
in fact just 2 days ago i tried fitting one for the first time.....2 minute doddle.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Had a look at these when they had them on offer last year and I have to say they are tiny!! Personally I think they would disappear without trace if you tried to use them under a motorhome wheel.

I think they may be OK for a small car but not much else, IMHO don't go out of your way to get some.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I guess putting some twine on them and laying that at right angles so they don't get tied up in the tyres or mud (so much) would make them easier to pick up. If things are too bad I'd probably just keep moving until on firm ground and then make a decision if to go back for them or not.

Just taken them out of the bag to see how substantial they are. I think they'd do the job but the instructions only mention snow and/or sand. Not mud. :) Last lot of snow I got stuck in I had to, ahem, sacrifice some local tree and bush branches as I'd not purchased these at that time - but it was one of those times I probably would have left these plastic tracks behind as the road I was trying to join was up hill and the tracks wouldn't have been a danger to any other road users - but a nice find for someone after the snow had melted :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I would tie abut five to six feet of rope on to them and tye to front towing eye so once going and out of tubal
you just un tie then from you front towing eye
the rope pulls them out the mud and they trale under van till on solid ground

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had a look at these when they had them on offer last year and I have to say they are tiny!! Personally I think they would disappear without trace if you tried to use them under a motorhome wheel.

I think they may be OK for a small car but not much else, IMHO don't go out of your way to get some.
A lot bigger than the fiamma mats.
these are 125cm long, 60cm wide and 18mm deep.
fiamma appear to be 75cm long 23cm wide and 3mm deep

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Papajohn can you point me to the link you have then, as the link at the start of the thread says they are 60cm long 18cm wide and 1.25cm deep.

The tyres on my van are 215x70x15 that says to me that these tyre traction tracks are 35cm narrower than my tyres.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Same here. We have a set from Argos as well. Bought before we had the cut down bread crates and now in the garage somewhere.

Muddy ones can always be put in a black bin bag temporarily.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The ones we saw before in Aldi were indeed very insubstantial looking and we did decide that they'd be not much use in mud - but I think you are getting your mm and cm mixed up dear - if they were over a foot (which is near as damn it 30cm) narrower than the van tyres I'd be - somewhat! - surprised. LOL

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Papajohn can you point me to the link you have then, as the link at the start of the thread says they are 60cm long 18cm wide and 1.25cm deep.

The tyres on my van are 215x70x15 that says to me that these tyre traction tracks are 35cm narrower than my tyres.
Bloody specsavers.....they gave me someone elses glasses.

Reactions: GJH

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Bread crates.cost nothing and do the job!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I haven't had the Aldi version but bought similar from Asda a few years back. Have to say they are great, yes they can get very mucky but I just pop them in a refuse sack until they dry out. I used at one of the Warner shows a couple of years back and they certainly got my van moving.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I haven't had the Aldi version but bought similar from Asda a few years back. Have to say they are great, yes they can get very mucky but I just pop them in a refuse sack until they dry out. I used at one of the Warner shows a couple of years back and they certainly got my van moving.

I used their tractor...it got me moving and i didnt have to get out. :LOL:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've had success with Milenco grip mats. They are substantial and enabled me to escape when I got the van stuck deep in soft sand (to my utter surprise). So impressed I bought a second pair, so carry 4 mats now.

Mike

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
And I haven't even got a MH yet...

See how I looks out for ya!.. (y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i got a set of theses a bit more expensive but really do the job. had to use them twice ( once on our van the other on a tag axle Autotrail ) site owner and other mOHO owner was so impressed have bought a set of thier own.

have seen the Aldi one's last year IMHO not very substantial and not for the weight / size of a motorhome.

but you pays yer money!!!! as they say!
grip tacks.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I used their tractor...it got me moving and i didnt have to get out. :LOL:
We used a tractor at Peterborough a couple of years ago - but had to wait quite a while for it to get round to us and it cost a tip to the driver.

It strikes me reading this thread that even though the Aldi offering might not be substantial enough to last more than one go it might be cheaper in the long run :D

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
I would tie abut five to six feet of rope on to them and tye to front towing eye so once going and out of tubal
you just un tie then from you front towing eye
the rope pulls them out the mud and they trale under van till on solid ground

Thats the way to do it Bill,ive tried it and it works,once you get motion then its crazy to stop after a few mtrs to pick these traction mats up,just keep driving until your confident that you wont get stuck again and retrief them,

Kris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back