Opinions, please, on tiny campervan. (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Having great difficulty finding a van that suits and keep coming back to a Romahome. This one is up in Wiltshire. Spoke to sales rep who is saying £500 only off for cash as I don't really want to part with my car.
Any opinions welcome. Anything in particular to look for? What do you think of price? I hate buying vehicles. Broken Link Removed

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Nice little vans. If they work for you, nothing else comes close.

If you haven't already, go & see Ant at Avon Motor Caravans & see how the one you are looking at compares to his stock. Ant has an excellent reputation among Romahome owners.

Also look at SmallMotorhome & the forum on there for more info. Look at this page - Ask Ant, in particular.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If tiny your thing plenty on ebay.....try and find a genuine privately owned

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If tiny your thing plenty on ebay.....try and find a genuine privately owned
I've been searching on Ebay and other sites for months. 2 Different van I was interested were both scams, any Romahomes have been either too far away or were sold before I could get to them.
I'm going for something like this as it will fit on my daughters drive for when I visit. I can stay overnight/ 2 nights but my daughter doesn't have to collect me from C&CC site as she'd have to if I had a full size motorhome.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Some C15s really suffer with rust and replacement panels can be hard to find. A berlingo base might be better if you decide on a romahome.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The one shown seems a lot of money to me.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Make sure you drive it for a decent distance before parting with your cash. We used to have a few Citroen vans at work at they were less than a luxury quiet drive, i always thought the suspension a bit soft, however if it suits you go for it,although the price does seem high for a 12 yr old Citroen with 60k miles.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We have a small VW Caddy camper for sale that may fit your desires --2008 caddy max newly converted -Ideal every day run around yet able to sleep two -ideal for a few nights stay -very economical and reliable-price £12,995 negotiable ;)
http://terryshbautocampers.co.uk/category/caddymaxjune2014/

terry
edit sorry HB just noticed its your post

Think i would spend out on the above as French cars/vans dont have the best reutation

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Small is good if you want the freedom to drive around and park as you would in a car. I love my ancient bedford rascal nipper. Mind you, mine cost a fraction of what that one does. Under £2000. Having said that it doesn't like speed humps, turning corners at anything over 15 mph and going over 50, but hey, no need to rush when you have your accomodation with you.:)

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Why would anyone buy one ? So small. For the same money you can have sensible space.

Thanks everyone for advice/ ideas. Do appreciate all your input.

But sensible space won't fit on daughters drive :( and it's going to be only way I can drive and stay. Only reason I'm going for something so small. It'll also be fine for few days in Cornwall, not planning to travel much any more.
I thought it was a bit over priced for its age.
I'll go up on Wednesday and give it a drive. Where should I look closely for rust?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks everyone for advice/ ideas. Do appreciate all your input.

But sensible space won't fit on daughters drive :( and it's going to be only way I can drive and stay. Only reason I'm going for something so small. It'll also be fine for few days in Cornwall, not planning to travel much any more.
I thought it was a bit over priced for its age.
I'll go up on Wednesday and give it a drive. Where should I look closely for rust?

Every where, wheel arches, bottom of doors, wings inner and outer rear doors

Sorry to seem pessimistic but not the best constructed base vehicle

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would second the advice in post #3 above.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
on top of what others are saying re base vehicle: but downsizing so small just for the occasional few nights at your daughters ...what about the rest of the time, you will be severely compromised for space and comfort. You can always park in the road outside, or find a quiet spot nearby....

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Rust is less of a problem on motorhomes than the same vans - most will have been waxoyled from new.

They have done less miles and often not used in winter (salt on roads).

That's why you see so many old motorhomes still on the road.......e.g. plenty of Talbot MH's............no Talbot vans

Same with Citroens and Renaults - My 1991 Trafic has no more corrosion than my last 04 Ducato.... hardly any.................just check carefully and you wont have a problem

(y)(y)(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Some C15s really suffer with rust and replacement panels can be hard to find. A berlingo base might be better if you decide on a romahome.

Good advice!(y) But our first van was a Romahome.....excellent van.............. when you're young and agile! Had a great time all over Europe in ours!(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Nice little vans. If they work for you, nothing else comes close.

If you haven't already, go & see Ant at Avon Motor Caravans & see how the one you are looking at compares to his stock. Ant has an excellent reputation among Romahome owners.

Also look at SmallMotorhome & the forum on there for more info. Look at this page - Ask Ant, in particular.

More good advice Holly.(y)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Why would anyone buy one ? So small. For the same money you can have sensible space.

Slightly off topic but many years ago bought a Fiat 900 camper.Was parked on the prom at Weston Beach race and some drunken yobs tried to turn us over as we slept!!
So small the van was rocking but not by us,have never wanted such a small van again!!

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
How about a Mazda Bongo (Ford Frieda). DIL has one as main (only) vehicle. Beats a VW camper hands down. Electric everything, roof, doors, blinds, etc. split air con, front and back, sleeps four.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
How about a Mazda Bongo (Ford Frieda). DIL has one as main (only) vehicle. Beats a VW camper hands down. Electric everything, roof, doors, blinds, etc. split air con, front and back, sleeps four.

I thought I was going to get a Bongo, tried a few out but the layout just doesn't work.

I know this seems a bit weird to some buying something so small but nothing of a proper motorhome size will go on the drive, and there's no parking outside her house.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
This one might be of interest:

Broken Link Removed

No affiliation

Edit: sorry didn't realise how far away you are......

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I thought I was going to get a Bongo, tried a few out but the layout just doesn't work.

I know this seems a bit weird to some buying something so small but nothing of a proper motorhome size will go on the drive, and there's no parking outside her house.

If you're going to be using it by yourself Holly I can recommend the Romahome from the following perspectives. 1. Cheap to run (in all ways). 2. Easy to drive and park. 3. Comfortable (with the right extras/fit) 4. FUN FUN FUN!
Too small for us as I have already said but for one...........good choice. (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Far more space in the Romahome than the Bongo. The Romahome is deceptive & a very clever layout. Brilliant for one, passable for two. BB is spot on with his reasoning.

Those that have them, swear by them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back