LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i regret to say i have been scammed out of my rv.were to start...afther agreeing a sale of rv and reiceveing a deposit last weekend ,he returned with a cheque for the balance and asked for a test drive he said he would like a macanic to check the engine ect and could he bring one over ok says i we then filled in the logbook his adress ect i told him when paymet had been cleared i will hand everything over. he turned up last night with said macanic asked me to start it up then complaned about the smoke from exhaust while the macanic sue and myself stood there looking at the smoke he drove off i asked the macanic were his car was and he said they were droped off i smelt a rat and phoned the police to repot it stolen whent back out to find no macanic. the police said i carnt report it stolen as he had paid deposit and given cheque but we all know it will bounce i googled the adress to find it is a park home site in coventry .i have to wait till wednesday to find out about the cheque meanwhilei carnt do anything, any fines parking or accidents ect will be down to me
please do not tell me i should have done this that an the other to late for that now

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So sorry to hear this. We all think we are smarter than the con artists,but they have had a lifetime of practice.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What a bummer............. dont know what to say really...:(

Let it be a lesson to others... Might be worth having a word with your insurance company...

Hope you get satisfaction in some way..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
OMG Lugnutt ! That is frigging awful news mate, have you no way of making contact with either of them again ?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
For the fears of being banned,I think it may have been one of the travelling fraternity,there is a large settling of them in the Midlands.
Very sorry to hear the distressing story.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh Dave... I'm so upset here... I want to hug you all.... Oh Dave... what a bustard... I don't know what to say. You are such a lovely family.

Dave, I have a small Autotrail which is my daughter's ... it is only two berth but with an awning or someone sleeping on the floor it will be able to sleep more .. you can use it for as long as you want.. Just top up the fully filled gas bottles for her when you hand it back over as she struggling financially and that is all it will cost you. The insurance should be minimal and it is spotless inside ... PLEASE think about taking me up on this. If I wasn't so broke financially I would help in other ways.

Big hugs to all of you and especially my lovely adopted friend, Sophie and Richie.. :(

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
ps dON't blame yourself as being stupid ... I've done stupid things like that but fortunately all turned out well.... we are just too trusting. xx

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
God that makes my blood boil, I feel so bad for you. I really hope you get it resolved with the safe return of the RV or the money :swear2::swear2::swear2:

Just a thought, can they be traced through the bank details on the cheque?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
the police said i carnt report it stolen as he had paid deposit and given cheque
That is absolute rubbish!!! You have every right to report it stolen, because the 'buyer' did not return from the so called 'test drive' he took to check the smoke! Any copper worth his salt would know you were conned. :mad: Always get the number of the officer you are dealing with, you may need it. Ask for a crime number. The police are EMPOWERED to take your complaint, before they clear off down to the takeaway, or go shopping, etc. It is their prerogative to charge you with wasting police time if all proves to be OK, but reading your post, I doubt if it is OK.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't think the insurance will be interested I'm afraid , if you havnt got both keys , no chance but have you been over to the address , you never know it might be there, clutching at straws maybe but it's not far from you got to be worth a trip over

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you have sum pick's Dave post them her.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh Dave, what a bummer and yet another warning to us all, so sorry it's happened to you and your lovely family.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Bloody hell Dave what an absolute bummer,hope you catch the Barst**d or the cheque is honoured which I doubt,but thats an offence in itself knowingly issuing a bouncing cheque so keep the police in the loop.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
That is absolute rubbish!!! You have every right to report it stolen, because the 'buyer' did not return from the so called 'test drive' he took to check the smoke! Any copper worth his salt would know you were conned. :mad: Always get the number of the officer you are dealing with, you may need it. Ask for a crime number. The police are EMPOWERED to take your complaint, before they clear off down to the takeaway, or go shopping, etc. It is their prerogative to charge you with wasting police time if all proves to be OK, but reading your post, I doubt if it is OK.
^^^ THIS.

Ask to speak to a senior officer not some civilian muppet who answers the phone, you have been a victim of fraud by misrepresentation and cheque fraud.

I would change the title of the thread to make people aware of what's happened and give people details of the RV - photo etc, ask people to circulate by Facebook etc, somebody may see it, although it may be parked up in a remote location or it may be on a ferry to foreign parts - you need to act quickly to get the information out there - there is a quite a community and we can all have our eyes peeled.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
i do not know how to put pics up on here anymore

it is or was a ford gulfstrem
Have you presented the cheque? If so, ring your bank ASP, ask for special clearance, explain the situation. It might cost you a tenner, but hey.........If the cheque is a flyer, contact the police again. Make a formal complaint. If the police had acted at once, you and your truck might be re-united by now. As it is, it might be in Southern Ireland as we speak.

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Oh Dave... I'm so upset here... I want to hug you all.... Oh Dave... what a bustard... I don't know what to say. You are such a lovely family.

Dave, I have a small Autotrail which is my daughter's ... it is only two berth but with an awning or someone sleeping on the floor it will be able to sleep more .. you can use it for as long as you want.. Just top up the fully filled gas bottles for her when you hand it back over as she struggling financially and that is all it will cost you. The insurance should be minimal and it is spotless inside ... PLEASE think about taking me up on this. If I wasn't so broke financially I would help in other ways.

Big hugs to all of you and especially my lovely adopted friend, Sophie and Richie.. :(
Its my rv that has gone still have the autotrail thanks for that though

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This is a quote from the following website Broken Link Removed

-------------
"If you suspect that a fraud has taken place then you should notify your bank who will advice you to report the matter to your local police station."

----------

Of course it's a police matter, they should take action on your behalf.

While it's fresh in your mind write down all the details and descriptions of the people, times, dates, detailed events, what was said and done etc.

very best of luck and my sympathy, it could happen to any of us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back