LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Whenever we felt the urge to BBQ we used the disposable ones. New bus has gaslow and an external gas point so Mrskse (SWMBO) has decreed we need to get a gas barbie with a griddle plate. So any advice (thinking of a Cadac) please?:RollEyes:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Cadac Deluxe kit with Skottel, griller etc - can't beat it for real efficacy from a BBQ point on the van - it really is excellent, they are available on ebay for around £80 now, perhaps more expensive than locally produced stuff, but tried, tested and well worth every penny:thumb::thumb:

The other option, the Cobb, a little table top marvel, is not a gas BBQ so prob not what you need right now, but also worth packing!!!

Laurie:RollEyes:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
we have a cadac and find it very versatile, with different surfaces to cook on, have cooked in all weathers on it, although it can be prone to blowing out in gusty wind, have done everything from full english for his lordships brekkie, to salmon, and even chilli con carne in the large pan, and most of it stores in the one bag.

Jacqui

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have had all the major one and found them a pain to clean, this one can be done in a sink basin.

Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have a Cadac but they are such a pain to keep clean, with so much to wash after each use, and for me, BBQ = beer so the last thing i want to do after a BBQ is spend 30 mins scrubbing it. Its not to bad if you have kids to scrub them which is the only reason we have not sold it and got one of these simple jobs shown below, we had one for years they are excellent and once you have cooked you just close it till next time. :Smile:

portablegasbarbecue.jpg

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have the Cadac Safari Chef. Small and compact ideal for two people, I find them easy to clean, and you can do so much on them, the last trip to France we had sardines on it a few times, a tip from a couple at Honfleur, and no smell in the van. The best thing I like is they catch all the fat and don't catch a light and burn everything, unlike Charcoal Barbecues.::bigsmile: Bob.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We also have a Cadac , great BBQ , :thumb:cleaning might be an issue, must ask Jan .. :winky:

However, getting a bit low on LPG I decided to buy a cheap charcoal barbie from the local super market, about 10 quid, never used the Cadac since, then on the drive home though France a couple of cars hooted as the over took, I waved, as you do, and thought no more about it..:Doh: till we reached our destination.. then I noticed a locker door swinging free, the one where the Cadac was stored... looking inside I discovered that two of the Cadac legs were missing ...:whatthe: they must have fell out on the road, no wonder cars were hooting ..:roflmto::roflmto:

So if anyone has a couple of spare legs going begging or conversely if anyone wants a Cadac without legs.. give me a pm.. it can still be used on three bricks.. :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim do your legs clip on to the base or screw on?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Wow .. fantastic Jim.. thanks a bunch .. I though we were condemned to three bricks for the Xmas barbie.. :thumb:

As we are leaving this CL before xmas, I'll pm when we move .. :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are going to be anywhere near the Dirty Duck around the new year, I could see you then, if not I am happy to post to your next site:thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
If you cover the cooking surface on a cadac (or any other bbq for that matter) with aluminium foil, it obviates the need to scrub surfaces after cooking.......it also minimises the possibility of ingesting old bits of charcoaled meats from the surface of the bbq, which has been linked to intestinal cancers. Just roll up the bit of foil and throw away after use......easy ! !!

You can also buy spares for cadacs, unlike many other cheaper BBQs. I've used many BBQs, having spent much of my life in the home of BBQs.....and although I've seen many come and go, Cadac has endured through the years and still takes a lot of beating. Charcoal BBQs can be fantastic - the Cobb rates very highly in our book for charcoal fueled BBQ. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you cover the cooking surface on a cadac (or any other bbq for that matter) with aluminium foil, it obviates the need to scrub surfaces after cooking.......it also minimises the possibility of ingesting old bits of charcoaled meats from the surface of the bbq, which has been linked to intestinal cancers. Just roll up the bit of foil and throw away after use......easy ! !!

or you could try this stuff....runrig put me on to it at stratford.
its a silicon material which will not burn so straight on the scottle...just give it a wipe after use then roll it up...:thumb:

Link Removed

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
We have a Cadac, its great for the real BBQ flavour chicken is great done on it, so is duck providing you don't mind the smoke. As for cleaning I just turn mine up to full for 5-10 mins and it all but self cleans.

Wobby:thumb:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The Cadac certainly seems popular but looking on Ebay there's loads of different models! Which one's best?

Regards
Doug

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Cadac certainly seems popular but looking on Ebay there's loads of different models! Which one's best?

Regards
Doug

the Cadac is from a south african company and if the south africans dont know about Braai (BBQ) then no-one does.....except the Assies of course:Doh:
as for cleaning.. see my earlier post:thumb:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Regards
Doug

We have the Cadac Safari, which Mike thinks is 'wonderful'. It is very flexible and he loves cooking chinese stir fri which is ideal in the wok (doubles as the lid).

We thought the big cadac would be too large for the two of us, and also take up too much room. The Safari cadac easily cooks for 4, which we have done on a number of occasions. It folds up very small and has a range of cooking plates for all types of barbeque and breakfasts, chips and stirfry!

Ginny and Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back