Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We have a laptop where the dogs have pulled the power lead and the pin in the centre of the main plug has broken away.

Been told this laptop is now useless as the pin goes direct to the motherboard is this true?

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi John,
If the pin is in the power adapter like
Tip%20E.jpg
this then replacement power adapters and tips are readily available. If on the other hand it's a pin inside the socket on the laptop then it's much more difficult. The manufacturers repair agent will be able to remove the broken socket and install a new one.

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John,
If the pin is in the power adapter like
Tip%20E.jpg
this then replacement power adapters and tips are readily available. If on the other hand it's a pin inside the socket on the laptop then it's much more difficult. The manufacturers repair agent will be able to remove the broken socket and install a new one.

Regards
Doug

Its the inside pin:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
john, laptop model and make will help me. some are some are not., Most are not. In our last 3 yes 3 we have required new charging units, all could be replaced.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Its the internal plug into the puter sadly.

The centre pins been knocked free.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi john, have a quite word with bruno and amy.......tell them the cost will have to come out of their doggy treat money and if they do it again you'll dis-own them and buy a cat.:ROFLMAO:

i wouldnt think it will be too expensive to repair, certainly cheaper than a new lappy. :Doh:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi John,
You don't say which make it is. If it's just about anything other than a Dell it will be repairable by decent repair company. The sockets (and probably power regulators) are readily available (although Dell won't licence their designs) from RS Components and probably Maplins.
We're quite lucky that Main Computers here in Basingstoke are more than capable of that type of work. I know they do mail-order repairs so they may be worth contacting if you've no-one more local.

Regards
Doug

Last edited:
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John,
You don't say which make it is. If it's just about anything other than a Dell it will be repairable by decent repair company. The sockets (and probably power regulators) are readily available (although Dell won't licence their designs) from RS Components and probably Maplins.
We're quite lucky that Main Computers here in Basingstoke are more than capable of that type of work. I know they do mail-order repairs so they may be worth contacting if you've no-one more local.

Regards
Doug

Its a 2 yr old ACER

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Acer are quite straightforward compared to some manufacturers. Most of their components are bought in. As far as I'm aware all of the sockets will be straightforward 1.7mm, 2.1mm or 2.5mm. Here's the link to Main Computers. Interestingly I mistyped it in and found Link Removed who repair broken sockets!

Regards
Doug

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back