LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We are thinking of changing our motorhome.

What are your thoughts or experiences of carthago?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You know you want an Arto, don't settle for second best:sneaky:

Carthago are nice vans actually, a little bit bling for our taste but quality build I believe, some friends have just downgraded from a Arto to a Carthago and love it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Lol. I've spent a few hours watching carthago videos in German and the build quality is excellent GRP everywhere inc underneath.

Went to see a Arto being sold privately last weekend. Really grubby, moldy fridge and shabby bed etc. how people think they can sell a van for money that let's face it would buy a house, in that state is beyond me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lol. I've spent a few hours watching carthago videos in German and the build quality is excellent GRP everywhere inc underneath.

Went to see a Arto being sold privately last weekend. Really grubby, moldy fridge and shabby bed etc. how people think they can sell a van for money that let's face it would buy a house, in that state is beyond me.

How people can let a van get in that state is beyond me.

But they do.

Ho Hum

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Beats me as well........

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I just got the 2015 carthago brochures from southdowns earlier this week.
As you say - very nice.
For us it has to be layout first - and the best quality you can get for whatever bucks you have.
At a similar price - it's still the Frankia 840BD for us - the layout is just perfect! Huge bathroom/dressing room and a clever transverse bed with access on 2 sides!
A close second though would be the carthago chic c line xl 5.5 As nice - with island bed instead of the transverse, but don't like the bathroom/shower arrangement !

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I just got the 2015 carthago brochures from southdowns earlier this week.
As you say - very nice.
For us it has to be layout first - and the best quality you can get for whatever bucks you have.
At a similar price - it's still the Frankia 840BD for us - the layout is just perfect! Huge bathroom/dressing room and a clever transverse bed with access on 2 sides!
A close second though would be the carthago chic c line xl 5.5 As nice - with island bed instead of the transverse, but don't like the bathroom/shower arrangement !
That Frankia seriously tempted us as well

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
spending that sort of money everything needs to be right. if you are looking at LHD I can point you in the direction of a German dealer....Lovely vans

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well David - when you get seriously tempted next year we can go order 2 together and get a mahoosive discount;)
You need to talk to Mrs Deluxe...... I've been banned temporarily from spending on boy's toys.

She didn't say anything about herself being banned from toy boys though...........cougar alert! ;)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
we looked at Carthargo very nice van but for us it was down to layout and we ended up ordering an Arto 88F (y) March 2015 delivery date so are really looking forward to it.good luck with your search,im sure you will make the right decision(y):)
brian and jo

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Nice but at 8.8 mts. Way too big for us.

You didn't fancy this one then?

Broken Link Removed

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
that is the same as ours but we didnt like the orange flashings and the 18"wheels,not practical on a motorhome:eek:
brian and jo

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We've been looking at vans for a few months now and would like to go back to an A Class. We had 2 Hymers and a Dethleffs and miss the space. Two weeks ago we went to the Hymer dealer who is only 10 miles away to seriously think about a purchase. We spent over an hour inspecting and couldn't believe how the quality has deteriorated since we last owned a 544 and a 634. I found a Carthago 149 on the internet at a dealer so we went down and as it is only 15 months old and 9500 miles we decided to buy. It is LHD and has a lot of the usual add ons fitted so it will be just what we want. The quality is superb and I am very dissapointed with Hymer quality and the attitude of the jumped up salesman.
Carthago are a motorhome we have admired for many years but have now decided to spent rather than leave it to someone who will waste it anyway.
I have searched for many months but there aren't many young low mileage models around. Good luck with your search and go for it.
Wilf

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I'm a bit of a Laika bloke. Shortly picking up Kreos 7009. Lovely finish and all the bits. 2014 model with a bit of a deal.

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our Carthago c-line 5.0 in March 2012 (ordered mid 2011) to coincide with my retirement. We were brand new to motor homing so spent 3 years researching and always kept returning to the Carthago brand. We couldn't afford to make a mistake re size, layout, build quality etc so took time to build the van to our own specification. We've since added a full VV air suspension system and a number of other wealth-diminishing extras.
Now completed 3 seasons - and we're delighted with our choice. There are many 'premium' brands on the market - all of which I'm sure are excellent - so it really comes down to personal preferences re spec, layout, and the 'feel' of the van - because we all have some emotional (as well as financial!) commitment to our MHs. Have fun with your research and eventual purchase.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
We are thinking of changing our motorhome.

What are your thoughts or experiences of carthago?
A quality built MH(y) Ps what's the chasis ,its built on,

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are also looking at Carthago, so we did a trip to Carthago-City in Aulendorf, Germany (you can also arrange test drives from there as well and factory visits). If was very useful to be able to see all model layout we were interested all next to each other and compare features, build, options everything. Helped us no end, shame more manufacturers do not offer the same service, we are trying to do something similar at Rapido not as easy but after trying dealers we then talked direct to the manufacturer (does help once you find the right person, dealer helped here)! Hopefully visiting France in early Dec to view specific models.

We are not sure how we will end up making a decision yet, we know our layout, we have 3 manufacturers all with different pros and cons. But the Chic ranges definitely have that quality feel.

Head, heart, wallet and a dealer to trust just have to get them in alignment!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
389 new & used Carthago on Link Removed

a few of us buy our panel van campers from a dealer in germany who is also a Carthago dealer. they are easy to deal with, very competitive, goid english + experienced in export. PM for details

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
including 155 Chic models:coffee:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
A quality built MH(y) Ps what's the chasis ,its built on,

Mercedes auto. Same as we have now.
We are liking the chic e line. (A class).

Thanks for everyone's input. It is a big decision which we want to get right.
We will keep pestering you fellow Funsters, so stand ready..

Johnrey

Free Member
Jun 20, 2013
Winsford, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
im a newbie
spending that sort of money everything needs to be right. if you are looking at LHD I can point you in the direction of a German dealer....Lovely vans
Has anyone got any experience of purchase of Carthago second hand from a German dealer. We are going to hire a 4.8 T chic in germany next may. Looking to purchase a LHD Carthago in the future so want to check layout and feel before we retire.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
They are a great van ,however we thought they did not have enough lounge area they seemed all dining and sleeping leaving no room to sprawl out and watch tv for us. But each to their own there is no such thing as a perfect van Merry Christmas. :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have seen an increase in my customers who have a Carthago and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of them. Little touches that make a big difference like double seals on the lockers.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Mercedes auto. Same as we have now.
We are liking the chic e line. (A class).

Thanks for everyone's input. It is a big decision which we want to get right.
We will keep pestering you fellow Funsters, so stand ready..
:xThumb::xThumb: great choice:xThumb:Merry Christmas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back