coldstreamer
Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
We in the North hope this will expand into all traffic, its been a long time since we had a Ferry Service from Teesport, which has a brilliant road linkage.
Best Regards Mac

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The Current service is freight only I think. I hope they will allow Motorhomes on with the expanded service. Once they have the increased capacity they may well be keen to fill it any way they can.
Even if they do allow MHs the facilities on board are likely to be targeted at the trucker market.
Interesting all the same as it would be a quick way for us to hop over the other side. Depends on price I suppose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It would be great if they were willing to fill up any free space with motorhomes even on a standby basis. I know of one person who used the Calmac freight service from Stornoway with his motorhome.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
The Current service is freight only I think. I hope they will allow Motorhomes on with the expanded service. Once they have the increased capacity they may well be keen to fill it any way they can.
Even if they do allow MHs the facilities on board are likely to be targeted at the trucker market.
Interesting all the same as it would be a quick way for us to hop over the other side. Depends on price I suppose.
If they would allow 'camping on board' as the Greek ferries do then you would be able to use your own facilities plus it cuts down the cost as you are not taking up a cabin. I don't know what the configuration of these ferries (i.e. safe open deck) are so don't really know if it would be possible but just a thought.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If they would allow 'camping on board' as the Greek ferries do then you would be able to use your own facilities.
That would also make it possible for passengers with disabilities to use the service. I don't imagine ferries intended for freight traffic have much in the way of of lifts or other facilities for disabled passengers.

There might still be worries about evacuation procedures though - although I'd sooner be on an open car deck in the van with someone in a wheelchair than in a cabin buried in the depths of a passenger ferry once the lifts stop working. :cautious:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The original story mentions a new intermodal rail terminal so do the current/proposed ships actually take vehicular traffic or simply containers? I tried to look up the ships on-line earlier and it appeared to be the latter, though not clear.

Deleted User
P&O take freight vehicles both accompanied and unaccompanied from Teesport, containers are usually put on low trailers, sometimes two high.. There are more freight operators than you think across the North Sea.

Reactions: GJH
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Waiting for a far-sighted ferry operator to start a service from the Tyne to, say, Marseille !!! Mind, I want a fast passage, no more than 2 days so they had better have pretty efficient stokers !!!

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
just as long as they don't try and put entertainment on them. The racket that the singer was pumping out on saturday nights amsterdam to newcastle ferry was terrible,couldn't hear yourself think, same for the p&o nsf crossings. I'd sooner endure the long trip to dover than listen to them again.

OP
OP
coldstreamer
Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
I'm pleased to see my thread was of interest. we have sailed from the same dock many years ago when we visited Sweden and Denmark, it was a large freight/ ferry that mainly done round overnight trips for local people, one day in each port. We used to stay away for several weeks and return when Ferry was available. All the passenger facilities are still there so we live in hope. I have a friend who works there so he will keep me up to speed. I have already give him the low-down on our interest and made him aware of the potential. Best Regards Mac

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
cheep is what you want nothing mor and truker facilitys wold be ok that's all you get on PO Irish
Quite agree Bill.
When we take the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry we rarely venture out of our cabin except for the big cooked breakfast. All the posh facilities are wasted on us.
I'll settle for cheap as long as the beds are comfortable

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
When we use IoW ferry the Captain gives my OH because he's disabled permission to stay in the MH

Wonder if the cross channels would do the same?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When we use IoW ferry the Captain gives my OH because he's disabled permission to stay in the MH

Wonder if the cross channels would do the same?
I doubt that on a north sea crossing of 12 hrs that would be allowed
IOW ferry 30min across the Solent.
the north sea is one of the most dangerous and unpredictable sea's on the planet.
its not exactly a channel crossing
bill

Deleted User
Another problem with using freight ferries is that they carry hazardous cargoes and as far as I am aware passenger ferries are not allowed to carry hazardous cargoes. This is certainly the case with P&O from Hull.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Anyone know what this actually means...??

“The introduction of our intermodal terminal in late 2014 also reinforces the port-centric platform at Teesport and our ability to deliver market-leading supply chain solutions that reduce overall logistics costs to our customers.”

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Anyone know what this actually means...??

“The introduction of our intermodal terminal in late 2014 also reinforces the port-centric platform at Teesport and our ability to deliver market-leading supply chain solutions that reduce overall logistics costs to our customers.”
The writer has been on a recent marketing speak course.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I doubt that on a north sea crossing of 12 hrs that would be allowed
IOW ferry 30min across the Solent.
the north sea is one of the most dangerous and unpredictable sea's on the planet.
its not exactly a channel crossing
bill

Yes I know in fact I used to live 1 mile from it I was even born 1 mile from it

At night I could lay in bed & subject to the wind direction listen to the waves crashing on the shore

And as a young lad I even went to sea in a North Shields Fishing Trawler. Scared the hell out of me it did

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
(\_/)
(= '.'=)
(") (")
Me and jay just love the bunny or cat whatever it is LOL

It's a monster which is only looking cute to lure you into a false sense of security. After you have let your guard down and said "awwwww" it turns into a zombie, flesh eating werewolf.......

Beware of cute fluffy things trapped in corners, one day one of them will turn out to be a mongoose.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hi,
I have a friend who works there so he will keep me up to speed. I have already give him the low-down on our interest and made him aware of the potential. Best Regards Mac

Thanks for that. I will await developments with interest.

We really miss the Newcastle to Bergen "post boat". Nothing posh but a great trip - our daughter (who was a young teen at the time) especially liked playing bingo in Norweigan!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back