Should we book now or is it safe to wait? (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We plan on getting a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander/Bilbao in March but we are not 100% sure which week we will be going so we were going to wait until we get back from Goa in February. Is this a bad idea? Do the crossings sell out quickly or get dearer nearer the time? I have never done this trip so would appreciate your feedback based on your experiences. Also I have seen a discount code requested several times on Fun, is it for this route and if so is anyone willing to let me have it? Any advice much appreciated as always.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably not a lot of help but I found the Plymouth /Santander ferry I wanted full in early September when I was trying to book about 3 months in advance. But I guess the first ferry to Spain after the school holidays was bound to be busy. We booked the next ferry but even that must have been declared full later as it was packed when we did sail. Our rear bumper was almost touching the raised loading ramp! However, on the return journey in late October it was probably less than two thirds full.

So they do fill up is all I can say but which are the popular ones I can only guess! Not many probably want to go to Spain in March but the over-winterers could be returning in their droves.

You can change bookings although there may be a fee. My suggestion would be to book for a time you know you can travel and then try and bring it forward if you need to and can.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if it helps im considering returning on the Bilbao to Portsmouth end of feb and been watching the prices since september and nothing has changed i suppose for me if the price went high then i would come back another route remember sometimes the journey is as good as the stay :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Is it because you heard I was coming over :rofl:
if it helps im considering returning on the Bilbao to Portsmouth end of feb and been watching the prices since september and nothing has changed i suppose for me if the price went high then i would come back another route remember sometimes the journey is as good as the stay :)
I am also pricing up the drive/time/mileage from Calais. Unsure if the weather will be good for a long ferry crossing or whether the drive will be too long and tiring for Glynn unless we take our time. Decisions decisions :doh:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
if i knew you was coming over i would have stayed in the uk and froze :D
where are you heading to
from calais to benidorm using tolls around 18hrs around £180 depending on ya rig
non tolls around 24hrs
both can be done in 2 hits lol

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We tend to avoid tolls now we drive a tag axle. I am just in the process of putting the info in ViaMichelin to see how it compares as I could use our club card vouchers if we use Eurotunnel :)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Wow, just 2 days to get to Benidorm! !! That's quick, how many driving hours per day is that?
We used the Santander ferry this time, couldn't have done that before Susie died though.
We booked 3 months before.
Checked nearer the date prices were the same but the 2 berth cabins had been booked solid and I was told so were the dog cages, but we saw empty ones there on our trip end of September.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
around 12 maybe and remember when ya have 2 drunken women in the back singing frekking holiday songs ya just wanna get there lol

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
BF operate "dynamic pricing" so the fares can vary depending on demand and time of year etc, but there's no way of knowing when they are likely to change. Pet cabins tend to sell pretty quickly, but if you have booked it's always worth checking nearer the time in case of a cancellation. Amendments are free within 5 days of travel. The weather, of course, is unpredictable, but the number of cancellations is generally low.

You mentioned a code, so if you want one send me a p.m.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I had to amend through the cc&c club, twice due to their mistake, their assumption really that we are returning to a different port.
We had to pay for the amendment.
We won't be using them again, what a nightmare trying to sort that lot. Still had to pay £15 ammendment charge though.
They wore me down.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, can't help on that crossing, as we always do the long drive, but at the end of March more brits go home than arrive in Spain. :eek:
If you had a dog and needed a dog friendly cabin I would say book.:)

Bob.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We plan on getting a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander/Bilbao in March but we are not 100% sure which week we will be going so we were going to wait until we get back from Goa in February. Is this a bad idea? Do the crossings sell out quickly or get dearer nearer the time? I have never done this trip so would appreciate your feedback based on your experiences. Also I have seen a discount code requested several times on Fun, is it for this route and if so is anyone willing to let me have it? Any advice much appreciated as always.
We are heading out mid March too.

We needed a dog friendly cabin and, booking at the start of November, could not get the date we wanted. Our alternative had one cabin free.

If you have no dogs you should have less trouble. Depends on how much of a gambler you are!;)

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Change of plan now as we have friends going to travel down with us in their Motorhome and they will only use the Eurotunnel so we will be driving down through France. Hope the weather is reasonable!!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we did the opposite journey (well, we started from Portugal LOL) in March 2014, and the weather was bostin' all the way home really. Cold at night but that was expected, cold all day but still fine once we got to Cap Breton and cold/murky at Wissant the last night. But we didn't care by then. Should be the reverse when you go so improving as you go.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I can do Benidorm in 2 days from tunnel.....and thats just using a few tolls in France when theres no fast alternative. not much to do other than drive in the winter!. as long as I can have a few drinks and a meal somewhere in the evening to get over it - then sleep like a log :)

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Why worry about how much it cost to get to Spain, when you spend loads of money when you get here!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back