Repairing An E-Z Lift Pleated Blind (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
E-Z Lift Pleated blinds, commonly fitted to RVs, are very reliable but sooner or later one of the four nylon cords will snap.. as happened to us this summer..

They are easy to repair, if a little daunting at first:

You need:

Nylon cord, available from most hardware, DIY shops
Large darning needle.
Lots of Patience..
A bit of gumption.

1.Remove blind
2.Lay out on a flat surface, closed.
3.Carefully remove the three long covers on the top rail and bottom of both blinds.
4.Remove broken cord and rethread using the darning needle, this makes it easy to thread though the pleats.
5. Tie off both ends.
6. Replace covers
7. Re hang blind and tension the cords :Smile:

Attached is a drawing of the cord routes, (just in case you pull them out and can't figure out how to re thread. ):Doh:

Attachments

• Blind cord layout.jpg
    Blind cord layout.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 87

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Excellent.

Problem is with mine the strings still OK just need to get it onto new toggle.

Where do you get replacement string from BTW?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I have not done one of these (all the ones in the 5er went to the tip!) But the one that I did fix, I seem to remember pulling the new strings through with the (unbroken) ones, it saved a lot of fiddling.
If we can help, at the new-year meet, we will.
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just for pappajohn :winky:

I believe Dunc (Starspanglespanner) has the correct cords

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
been there, done it

Excellent.

Problem is with mine the strings still OK just need to get it onto new toggle.

Where do you get replacement string from BTW?

Darren of Motorhome medics (on ebay) or 01452 856856 - www.rvspares.co.uk has a kit for the 4 string and 2 string type. The kits is RV Shade Repair kit and comes with a DVD.. the cord is 130 lbs HTFP cord.. the kit has the replacement plastic washers as well as the cord. - 2 string kit does 2 windows and cost £16.99 inc postage off ebay..

Not an easy job to do.. had to use a paste table to support it and needed 8 pairs of hands.. Sue helped me.. had to do it twice as it is easy to tangle the cords in the cross over.. make sure they all cross the same way under or over otherwise you will have to do it again as I have found out to my cost.

Have fun..

Bob:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
but it is the same colour

:Eeek: for a bit of nylon cord ...

now that is what I call a rip off

Yes, Jim expensive.. the cord is the same colour as on the van a buff colour.. the DVD is crap and goes so fast through the photos for a dozen different set ups. But I found it is easy to work out... the cords run across as shown at the start of the post... Just time consuming and need a lot of hands... took me a couple of hours, hardest part was getting it out of the van where it had been screwed in place.

But I agree expensive..we did try to get a suitable heavt duty cord, but did not find it anywhere... looked in the UK and France when it broke.

Bob:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Darren of Motorhome medics (on ebay) or 01452 856856 - www.rvspares.co.uk has a kit for the 4 string and 2 string type. The kits is RV Shade Repair kit and comes with a DVD.. the cord is 130 lbs HTFP cord.. the kit has the replacement plastic washers as well as the cord. - 2 string kit does 2 windows and cost £16.99 inc postage off ebay..

Not an easy job to do.. had to use a paste table to support it and needed 8 pairs of hands.. Sue helped me.. had to do it twice as it is easy to tangle the cords in the cross over.. make sure they all cross the same way under or over otherwise you will have to do it again as I have found out to my cost.

Have fun..

Bob:thumb:

Shoulda got ezzie to do it lol

Cheers Rick

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
to m uch slobber

Shoulda got ezzie to do it lol

Cheers Rick

Morning Rick... Ezzie has to much slobber ..but could have used her paws to hold it in place while I tried to thread it.

Note still no Avitar for your posts... you are not ashamed to put a picture of your bus up I hope?:ROFLMAO:

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back