Help please USB 3 converter........ (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a new 2TB external hard drive with usb3 capability. I have a laptop with just usb2 that doesn't have a card slot. Is it possible to get a converter for my laptop without taking it apart.(y)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
I thought that USB 3 was just faster? I have a USB 3 member stick and just plug it in to any of the USB ports on the computer. I would have thought your external hard drive would connect in the same way.

Kath

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If I understand correctly you are looking for a card reader for a USB ?

I bought one of these
Kingston Technology MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader
Thanks Jim,not sure if this is what I am after......I'll have another go:)
What I am after is something that will make my usb2 laptop transfer at usb3 speed to my usb3 external hard drive.(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I thought that USB 3 was just faster? I have a USB 3 member stick and just plug it in to any of the USB ports on the computer. I would have thought your external hard drive would connect in the same way.

Kath
It does Kath but unless your computer is usb3 compliant then it will just transfer at usb2 speeds. That is how I understand it anyway.(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It does Kath but unless your computer is usb3 compliant then it will just transfer at usb2 speeds. That is how I understand it anyway.(y)

You're right and I think if you don't have a card slot you're stuck with 2.0 speeds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim,not sure if this is what I am after......I'll have another go:)
What I am after is something that will make my usb2 laptop transfer at usb3 speed to my usb3 external hard drive.(y)

Understand now.. As far as I know that can't be done . ..besides.. USB 3 is old tech ;)

I just bought a MacBook Pro with thunderbolt , it will blow away usb 3.. transfer speed is 10gb per second .. I can back up the hard drive in about 15 SECONDS
https://www.apple.com/uk/thunderbolt/

You know you want one.. and it's a great Christmas present to yourself :D

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
If your laptop is usb2 then the only way to get it to work at the usb3 speed is a usb3 card in the card slot of the laptop,if it has one! The device will work ok just a bit slower in a usb2 outlet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Understand now.. As far as I know that can't be done . ..besides.. USB 3 is old tech ;)

I just bought a MacBook Pro with thunderbolt , it will blow away usb 3.. transfer speed is 10gb per second .. I can back up the hard drive in about 15 SECONDS

In theory only I think. I doubt the hard disk in a laptop could cope with more than about 100 MB/sec and about twice that in a desktop, with most drives achieving considerably less than that.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I am looking jim but there are so many great non apple products out there that I always give the apple section a wide birth.
This is why I am attempting to transfer my huge collection of videos onto external hard drives.(y)
Dont forget windows 10 is on the horizon too:)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Jim.........JIM!

Just because you have Apple (and I have Apple) does not mean the rest of the world has to ;);)

Ignorance is bliss :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
not just theory ..

The MacBook Pro has an 250 gb SSHD

with a 255gb SSHD LaCie back up drive..

More info here http://www.cultofmac.com/284150/lacies-blazing-fast-thunderbolt-drive-blows-away-competition/
Still far away from 20 GB/sec and as I understand the report he was running the tests directly from the external drive not using the hard drive fitted to his computer, which was what I was referring to. Of course hard drives will get quicker but I have found in the real world the actual read and write speeds you get from them are a lot less than the advertised or which can be measured in lab tests.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is why I am attempting to transfer my huge collection of videos onto external hard drives.(y)

I keep a master USB drive for all my videos, over 500GB, which is then transferred to another USB drive for the van, it's an overnight copy to do the whole lot.

USB2 laptop, you are stuck with USB2 which accepts and works a USB3 drive at USB2 speeds. Backwards compatibility is the phrase. USB2 is pretty fast.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The laptop I'm using has two USB2 sockets and one USB3 socket. The two USB3 drives I have work in all of them but slower in USB2 as mentioned by others.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back