Ducato: replaced front wheel bearing-now squeaky (1 Viewer)

JEB

Free Member
Feb 9, 2013
UK -sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m a newbie
Had front n/s wheel bearing replaced.it has now developed a squeaky noise at low speed...say 10 mph, which disappeared when you dap the foot brake and then start up again when released. The same noise is now apparent at 30 mph and louder. Thought it maybe due to dust on brake pads...would appreciate any thoughts potential causes...

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Yep loads of ideas:winky: but more likely only the brake pads squeaking,
Remove pads give a clean and some anti squealing compound to the pad backplate will suffice, you could also use copperslip,:thumb:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
squealing is usually down to brake pads needing to bed in with the discs ,this is esp so with new pads. infact a lot of pads now come with chamfferd edges to help eliminate the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I believe that Ducato front brakes have an anti-squeal shim fitted between the pad and brake cylinder. Might have been accidentally left out.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If it has only happened since the wheel bearing has been replaced it is almost certainly something to do with that work.

If it has got noisier or worse since then it is something that is deteriorating.

I suspect the new bearings were not seated in the rim/shaft properly allowing the disc to move a little bit. Which then allows the brake pads to rub probably on the rust on the discs.

I doubt they would have disturbed the pads in the calipers so they should not be the cause.

Jack the front wheel up and have a look for any movement that should not be there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it stops with a dab of the brakes it's the brake pads not sitting straight, you could take it back and ask them to sort it.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i would have thought that after almost 5 months this problem will have been sorted !!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back