gas it bottles (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
if i have 2 gasit bottles connected together and only one has a gauge on it will the gauge show the content in both bottles obviously both bottles will have to be turned on any help appreciated and do members run with both bottles on i know when you need to fill up it will be twice as expensive

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not quite sure that I understand that, but a gauge in one bottle will not tell you what is in the other one... Most people run one bottle open and one shut, changing over and thinking about refilling when the open bottle is empty.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
if i have 2 gasit bottles connected together and only one has a gauge on it will the gauge show the content in both bottles obviously both bottles will have to be turned on any help appreciated and do members run with both bottles on i know when you need to fill up it will be twice as expensive
I found with my gauges they don't really show me what's in one bottle. One showed empty, it was two months before it run out. I only ever have one bottle open at a time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I found with my gauges they don't really show me what's in one bottle. One showed empty, it was two months before it run out. I only ever have one bottle open at a time.
Have got bottles with gauges that actually work (R67 - Prakto bottles - cheaper than the Gaslow equivalent), though you need to be a contortionist to actually read them sometimes

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
sorry if ive not explained myself very well i have chance to buy a gasit bottle cheap but it has no gauge on it so ithought if i had both valves open pressure would equalise and show a combined pressure in both bottles i may be wrong usually am

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You would think so.. Personally I have no idea but in theory that is how it should work..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
sorry if ive not explained myself very well i have chance to buy a gasit bottle cheap but it has no gauge on it so ithought if i had both valves open pressure would equalise and show a combined pressure in both bottles i may be wrong usually am
The pressure gauge reads the vapour pressure which remains constant until all the liquid has gone........

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I wouldn't think so as I'm sure the value only lets gas in not out so it couldn't equalise between the two cyclinders

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I run with both open we just top up when we get fuel and les than a mile from us theirs a gas place
gaslow the best investment ever in our van

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have the Gasit auto change over valve fitted which also indicates bottle contents. I always have one bottle shut off and when the gas runs out, I change over manually then think about a refill, so never actually use the gauge, works for me.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The gasit gauge not accurate anyway. How about running the one without gauge till empty, then turning on one with gauge..... Then look for a LPG station

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know the real answer to this but would have thought if the bottles are joined together ,they will empty together so the same amount of gas will be in both bottles so if the gauge says one is half empty so will be the other one

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Btw , the gauges only clip on so couldn't you just take the gauge off one and clip it on the other,

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Link them using a changeover gauge (manual is cheaper than auto). £27 from Gaslow and I am sure Gasit must supply them as well.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't know the real answer to this but would have thought if the bottles are joined together ,they will empty together so the same amount of gas will be in both bottles so if the gauge says one is half empty so will be the other one
That's correct - it's simply a pressure gauge & won't show any change until almost all liquid has been used - in other words no change in reading until the vapour pressure drops. The latest Gaslow cylinders have true level gauges, worked from a float in the cylinder, that will give a sensible indication of liquid level.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The gauges do not work on pressure and never have AFAIK. They attempt to measure the level of the liquid petroleum gas (LPG), which is what is actually in your bottles. I say attempt because they are not very accurate.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Pressure gauges do work on pressure. The GASLOW clip on gauges work on a float that measures sort of between 30% and zero or something. If you have an R67 bottle then it has an accurate gauge

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The gauges do not work on pressure and never have AFAIK. They attempt to measure the level of the [you]liquid [/you]petroleum gas (LPG), which is what is actually in your bottles. I say attempt because they are not very accurate.
The gauge in the picture above is a pressure gauge. Any gauge fitted to an older Gaslow bottle (the ones with valve guards / big handles) is a pressure gauge. Later Gaslow bottles have a level gauge fitted as standard.

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
thanks for all the replys ive taken it all on board on another note has anybody got a gas it plus bottle as they seem to have a different gauge in them one that is straight into the bottle top just wondered if they are any better

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
thanks for all the replys ive taken it all on board on another note has anybody got a gas it plus bottle as they seem to have a different gauge in them one that is straight into the bottle top just wondered if they are any better
I've just read about them on the Gasit site. Gasit say they are level gauges so they should be as accurate as any other (ie much better than pressure gauges). Why not give Gasit a call to confirm?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
These are the bottles I referred to - if the level gauge is set into the top of the bottle then it is a proper gauge and accurate. Got one of these bottles and about to get another. I used Autogas 2000

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My gasit bottle has a gauge it just clips on the valve stem .I think the way it works is that inside the bottle there is a float the arm moves a magnetic rod in the neck of the valve the gauge has a magnet that senses the other one. You can buy a clip on gauge from gasit but it will only work if you have the right sort if bottle (could ring them and check). I bet it had a gauge on which has got lost it would be strange to but two different types of bottle. If it is the wrong sort why not fill both and turn off the one with the gauge until the others empty.When you start the second the gauge will tell you when getting low (the gauges aren't great read full till 2/3 empty when 1/3 left!!

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back