DVLA logic? (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I SORNed the Hymer this week but the on line system wouldn't allow me to set a date of 1st November so it did it from 1st October. I emailed DVLA to explain that we used the Hymer last week and wanted to SORN it from November and this is the reply they sent to Glynn. Well at least we have evidence we tried when we receive the extra month's refund!! It's clear from the response that they haven't even understood the very clear email I sent them as they are giving me advice on how to tax it if we want to use it :doh:

image.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Over worked staff who just do not have the time ( or the inclination ) to actually READ letters or e-mails fully
They scan read and then pick a suitable ( as far as they are concerned ) response from a cheat sheet then cut and paste it

Seen it SOOO many times.. I actually feel quite sorry for the staff there nowadays.. Cut to the bone and total over load constantly on the ( close ) horizon

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's bonkers and I am sure they will twig there is a problem as they are losing money.

Now just hope you weren't caught on a speed camera recently because when they check they will find the vehicle wasn't taxed!

Only joking. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
It's bonkers and I am sure they will twig there is a problem as they are losing money.

Now just hope you weren't caught on a speed camera recently because when they check they will find the vehicle wasn't taxed!

Only joking. :)
No danger of that, Glynn drove it back from the dealers while I followed in the car. He always plods along at 60mph, took us 3 hours to get home :doh:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Over worked staff who just do not have the time ( or the inclination ) to actually READ letters or e-mails fully
They scan read and then pick a suitable ( as far as they are concerned ) response from a cheat sheet then cut and paste it

Seen it SOOO many times.. I actually feel quite sorry for the staff there nowadays.. Cut to the bone and total over load constantly on the ( close ) horizon
Actually Jaws now you mention I can see that 1 paragraph isn't in the same font/size as the rest of the letter. You weren't joking about cut and pasting :doh:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've had the same problem. I tried to SORN my car it for the 1st November but their 'Mickey Mouse' system insisted that it be done on 1st Oct.
I then got an acknowledgement through the post and you have to be able to read 'between the lines' of what they said.
Quote"This vehicle must not be used or kept on a road while the SORN is in force. Failure to Tax and Insure or SORN your vehicle may result in a fine or prosection"
What the above actually says is, Don't use the vehicle if it's been SORNED (no penalty) BUT IF YOU DO, WITHOUT TAX OR INSURANCE, WE'LL GET YOU.
Two days later they sent me a cheque to cover Nov. and Dec. Tax. (They didn't, of course send me Oct's even though they insisted that I start SORN then.)

As the vehicle is taxed to the end of the month when you SORN it, in this case, to the end of OCT, then provided that it's Insured then all you've done is gone against what they have asked you to do. But I don't see that an offence has been committed.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I admit, I'm struggling to get my head around all of this????*****!!!!!aaaaaarrgh

Jan 30, 2011
west sussex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
10 year
I SORNed the Hymer this week but the on line system wouldn't allow me to set a date of 1st November so it did it from 1st October. I emailed DVLA to explain that we used the Hymer last week and wanted to SORN it from November and this is the reply they sent to Glynn. Well at least we have evidence we tried when we receive the extra month's refund!! It's clear from the response that they haven't even understood the very clear email I sent them as they are giving me advice on how to tax it if we want to use it :doh:

View attachment 46316
Sent tax on our motorhome back on 31st october for a re fund, had a letter 4 weeks later saying please fill in this form to confirm sale or sorn, as my husband had sent the refund form back with his name on it, he was the one who paid the tax in the first place online, by his debit card,but i am the registered keeper at the same address,can't they pay a refund back to his card like all the rest of the world does on a refund, only the dvla hang it out, i assume now they have cost me two months of our refund as they don't pay part of a month. glad they have gone electronic as they might not have so many jobs worth on there payroll.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, they did EXACTLY the same thing to me.. Cost me an extra months VEL

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
So if you SORN on the last day of a month they count it as from the first day of that month , AND you get clocked by ANPR before the SORN was done then you get booked as if you were driving on a SORN even though it WAS taxed at that time and they have had the money for that month????????????????
Me thinks they will have to think about that one,, I'd opt for a court case if that actually happened.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
So if you SORN on the last day of a month they count it as from the first day of that month , AND you get clocked by ANPR before the SORN was done then you get booked as if you were driving on a SORN even though it WAS taxed at that time and they have had the money for that month????????????????
Me thinks they will have to think about that one,, I'd opt for a court case if that actually happened.
so would I (y)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
The DVLA are a private company & cannot fine anyone as they don't have the statutory powers to do so This was found to be the case when they tried to fine a motorist £1000 for failing to Sorne his vehicle. The DVLA were told repeatedly by the motorist that he had & they claimed he hadn't stating it was for the motorist to prove he'd done it. The court was having none of that nonsense & told the DVLA's legal counsel it was for the DVLA to prove it hadn't been applied for and not for the motorist to try and prove a negative.....case dismissed with costs to the motorist

Also
http://www.thenorthernecho.co./news/4434191.Mallon_s_drive_to_expose_DVLA__con_/

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And, following the same argument, does that mean that if you are leaving a vehicle to say go abroad in another (something that here, on this forum is not so unusual)
Doing the SORN on the remaining vehicle has to be THE VERY LAST THING YOU DO!!! because, if it isn't, and you use said vehicle, even though it's taxed to the end of the month and insured, you have committed some sort of offence, just because you've told Swansea you wish not to pay the road tax while you're away.
I think not!!!

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Update: today we received a cheque for £41.25 which is 3 months road tax. This means that in spite of the DVLA system showing a date of 1st October and their subsequent email telling me they couldn't amend it they have in actual fact only refunded us from 1st November! :doh:

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
The problem is that the system has been designed to make money. By having the 1st as the default date it means that you will lose that month's tax, how many people will think they must wait until the 1st of the following month then lose out on the refund of that month's tax?

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
They even disguise them as trees lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun