Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Sorry, I don't know how to start a new thread. I wonder if any of you guys could advise me!! I have a 2002 standard Fiat 2.8 diesel engine. 1) Is it worth having it chipped so I get more pulling power up hills. 2) Will it give me more MPH on the flat? 3) Will my fuel comsumtion increase? 4) Is it bad for the engine in the long run. 5) How much will it cost me to have it done. My thanks and appreciation for your advice.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Sorry, I don't know how to start a new thread. I wonder if any of you guys could advise me!! I have a 2002 standard Fiat 2.8 diesel engine. 1) Is it worth having it chipped so I get more pulling power up hills. 2) Will it give me more MPH on the flat? 3) Will my fuel comsumtion increase? 4) Is it bad for the engine in the long run. 5) How much will it cost me to have it done. My thanks and appreciation for your advice.

I fitted a Steinbauer P Box to mine Fiat 2.8 td took about an hour to do the job,price around £350. Pulling power far better,mpg slightly better ,but did manage 33mpg when driving tidy out in France when the price of diesel was at it's height ,less gear changes ,Check out the web site ,also found them very helpfull after purchase .www.steinbauer.cc:thumb:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I wanted mine done at Stratford show, earlier this year , but was told couldn't be done as it is mechanical rather than electronic.
Bugger!!!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I had my last van remapped and to answer your questions individually,
1) With a decent remap you will certainly notice an imprvement in pulling power up hills.

2)Yes you will get more MPH on the flat if you so wish, Mine went from 65-70 flat out to me having to stop it at over 90mph on the m5, I was merely doing a one off test to see the difference. Between Junctions 23-25 nice and flat.

3) Is a difficult one. Prior to my remap I would get 24-25 mpg whatever and wherever I went, despite anything other than taking the roof box off. However with the remap my fuel economy decreased to something like 17-20 mpg, simply because I was able to drive my van like a car, it pulled so much better and had so much more torque. However as stagman says, If I drove it sensibly and took the cost of fuel in to account I could actually get up to 28-29mpg although this was rare as with the extra power I always felt like driving that bit extra.

4) I researched this long and hard, the feelings are mixed. Some say it does, but those that do normally talk about remaping in terms of race cars which are obviously mapped to the limit putting extreme strain on cpmponents. I know a merc SLK that was done and snapped a drive shaft due to the excess power that was placed. However with a mild remap and regular oil changes no problems.

5 Jason at ecu or morebhp.co.uk done mine, only cost £180 but he is from just around the corner.

so you pays ya money ya takes ya chances. My new van is a 2.8 so I will be expecting more power than my 2-0 jtd or will be in for some dissapointment and off to get jason around again.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you do get it chipped dont forget to tell your insurance Company or they'll fall about laughing if you need to make a claim:Sad:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

I had my last van remapped and to answer your questions individually,
1) With a decent remap you will certainly notice an imprvement in pulling power up hills.

2)Yes you will get more MPH on the flat if you so wish, Mine went from 65-70 flat out to me having to stop it at over 90mph on the m5, I was merely doing a one off test to see the difference. Between Junctions 23-25 nice and flat.

3) Is a difficult one. Prior to my remap I would get 24-25 mpg whatever and wherever I went, despite anything other than taking the roof box off. However with the remap my fuel economy decreased to something like 17-20 mpg, simply because I was able to drive my van like a car, it pulled so much better and had so much more torque. However as stagman says, If I drove it sensibly and took the cost of fuel in to account I could actually get up to 28-29mpg although this was rare as with the extra power I always felt like driving that bit extra.

4) I researched this long and hard, the feelings are mixed. Some say it does, but those that do normally talk about remaping in terms of race cars which are obviously mapped to the limit putting extreme strain on cpmponents. I know a merc SLK that was done and snapped a drive shaft due to the excess power that was placed. However with a mild remap and regular oil changes no problems.

5 Jason at ecu or morebhp.co.uk done mine, only cost £180 but he is from just around the corner.

so you pays ya money ya takes ya chances. My new van is a 2.8 so I will be expecting more power than my 2-0 jtd or will be in for some dissapointment and off to get jason around again.

Haganap pretty much has it.:thumb:
We had our 2006 2.8 remapped by Boosters (Trade member on here if I remember aright) before we took delivery. It gives that extra bit of poke that you can either use to maintain a 'sensible' cruising speed without stirring the gearbox too much, or you can use it - like Haganap and me - to be a wannabe boy racer.
The Fiat manual for my year talks about a JTD Power (only available in Europe) which has the same BHP as my now-remapped 2.8, so if they can do it over there...???
Some insurance companies have kittens when you talk to them about remapping, but we had no problem with ours (Comfort).

Incidently on non-motorway roads I get around 25mpg, which drops to about 23 on m'ways.

Get it done.::bigsmile: You know you want to.

John

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Had ours done by TB Turbo back in July.

The engine is a Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD common rail diesel. Van was registered in 2001 so they had to remove the "chip" reprogram then reinstall prior to testing it out on their rolling road. They removed it once again for final "tweeking" then did the test again. Printout of torque and BHP before and after.

where before I changed gears roughly about 2900-3100 RPM I now change at 2100. The van will pull from 1400 RPM smoothly. Very very happy.

MPG increased by 2-3 miles.

More manageable to drive, not screeming in high revs.

More Torque.

A well spent £250

The vans gross weight is 4500KG a Tag Axle Hymer B694G

We live in Mid West Wales and I had been dithering for a year, sorry now I had not had it done as soon as we bought her.

OP
OP
Beachbum

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Thanks a lot you folks who have given me advice on remapping/chipping. Note that I have a standard 2.0 engine and not a jdt or turbo. Thanks anyway.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Thanks a lot you folks who have given me advice on remapping/chipping. Note that I have a standard 2.0 engine and not a jdt or turbo. Thanks anyway.

Ah, right.
Your original post said 2.8ltr.

No matter. With a 2.0ltr engine I imagine you'd want even more to boost the torque.
Makes no difference that it's not a turbo. You can still get a better performance from it.

There's bound to be someone in Cornwall who can do it for you. Just watch out for the cowboys who'll bung any old crap in and charge you a fortune for the privilege.:Sad:

John

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
if you do get it chipped dont forget to tell your insurance Company or they'll fall about laughing if you need to make a claim:Sad:

I declared the re-map (Torquing BHP in Cambridge - solid job) to my insurers who noted it in writing but did not increase the premium at all. You must declare it, though.

The difference was amazing - the van was so much better to drive

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, On that subject does anyone know if SAGA insurance will cover you if you have this done to your motor home

boosters

Free Member
Jan 16, 2008
cambridgeshire
Funster No
I am most of this years motorhome shows,please feel free to come and have a chat and i will gladly offer advice first hand on the aspects of remapping.
Regards
Alex
Boosters Uk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back