Safety in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On the news this morning the government has put a warning up for travellers around the world to be more vigilant. Has any one got any more concerns are we taking heed of wat they say or is it scaremongering.?

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I worked in London during the IRA campaign there. I holidayed in Turkey when the Kurds were active there. I flew back to Washington as soon as flying was allowed again after 9/11. I believe I still risk my life more crossing the road. Mind you that's not to say I'm stupid enough to book a holiday to Syria any day soon :rolleyes:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I worked in London during the IRA campaign there. I holidayed in Turkey when the Kurds were active there. I flew back to Washington as soon as flying was allowed again after 9/11. I believe I still risk my life more crossing the road. Mind you that's not to say I'm stupid enough to book a holiday to Syria any day soon :rolleyes:
You're daft enough to go to the same 3 rallies as me, though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You're daft enough to go to the same 3 rallies as me, though

Well that is a travel danger in itself. Last time I had a meal with you both, Mike got food poisoning. :whistle2:

Will not cancel our holiday scheduled for tomorrow

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just extra awareness is all they recommending I wont be stopping my travels any time soon

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I don't think it's scaremongering - just the government being cautious. We'd complain if something happened and there was no heads-up.

It seems that the terrorists have changed their tactics from bombings to random killings by shootings in public places. Don't suppose there's much danger at a French Aire, but as Funster's travel further afield and have holidays other than in the MH, I guess that vigilance is required in some parts of the world. For example, westerners could be targeted in Mumbai style attacks in large hotels.

If one was thinking of 'popular' attack places, Canada would be well down on the list and yet, it happened!

I know that this is going to sound really, really stupid, but my grandson is in the ATC and for a brief moment, I wondered about him in uniform in the street as many attacks seem to be on Service personnel. Yep, I know, stupid thoughts. However, we just have to go about our daily lives.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The threat is not just Europe, it is in this country too and I suspect the overall threat here to UK citizens is higher but of course if you park up in say France your registration plates mark you out as a British so if someone has a grievance against us we are easy to find.

It won't stop me venturing outside my door or to Europe, there would need to be many more attacks first.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The threat is not just Europe, it is in this country too and I suspect the overall threat here to UK citizens is higher but of course if you park up in say France your registration plates mark you out as a British so if someone has a grievance against us we are easy to find.

It won't stop me venturing outside my door or to Europe, there would need to be many more attacks first.
Thought we where in Europe.....

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I know that this is going to sound really, really stupid, but my grandson is in the ATC and for a brief moment, I wondered about him in uniform in the street as many attacks seem to be on Service personnel. Yep, I know, stupid thoughts. However, we just have to go about our daily lives.
Ther is nothing stupid abut your thought's there is a risk although small it is there.
And before I closed my cadet unit a received additional security advice regarding cadet unit's from a government body.
in respect of traveling in full uniform to and from the unit in public recommended civilian jacket over uniform
no military head gear on way to or from unit
extra measures as in a higher level of vigilance at the unit apart from that there was no real concerns
but if you do have any concerns contact your local cadet senior officer who will be abele to advise you
bill

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

In my job I'm in a plane almost every week to somewhere; we have sensible travel rules which call for vigilance anyway. Nothing much changed

Thought we where in Europe.....

Indeed we are in Europe, but the FCO (foreign and commonwealth office) don't give out travel alerts for travel in UK. The clue is in the word "foreign" so DBK is quite right to refer to Europe and beyond rather than UK
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...e-terrorism-warning-for-British-tourists.html

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
This is a serious concern,however,the thought did cross my mind when i had a c/van with... "Crusader" in large letters across the back,not to go to north Africa,southern Spain/France. The things that cross your mind when the first wife is nagging you about going fast....."What was that dearest"?
This was not the reason i sold it,it was C**p
Tea Bag

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ther is nothing stupid abut your thought's there is a risk although small it is there.
And before I closed my cadet unit a received additional security advice regarding cadet unit's from a government body.
in respect of traveling in full uniform to and from the unit in public recommended civilian jacket over uniform
no military head gear on way to or from unit
extra measures as in a higher level of vigilance at the unit apart from that there was no real concerns
but if you do have any concerns contact your local cadet senior officer who will be abele to advise you
bill
....yet the USA, who are more paranoid about national security than most, actually require their forces personnel to travel in uniform, which also usually means a first class upgrade and first class seats given up by fellow passengers on internal flights etc

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
....yet the USA, who are more paranoid about national security than most, actually require their forces personnel to travel in uniform, which also usually means a first class upgrade and first class seats given up by fellow passengers on internal flights etc
and should it not be this for our hero's and ex service personnel
bill

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The threat of terrorism has been with us for decades, if fact there were Irish Republican bombings in London in the 19th century.

As always with these things its just a matter of being sensible. The plan of the scum who make these attacks is to cause chaos and get maximum publicity for their cause. Soon as we give in and hide away from the slightest danger they have won.

Paul

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
and should it not be this for our hero's and ex service personnel
bill
Be better if we made sure that Ex forces with damaged minds were "debriefed" and "downloaded"before being allowed to exit into civvy street.. It is the invisible scarring of the mind that causes us as much, if not more trauma than the visual wounds.. I have been "out" for 27 years and consider myself to be "safe" now and nearly normal,although still hyper vigilant, which can be both a curse and a blessing.. But hey, we don't even look after our civvy's with mental troubles !!
Sorry, folks, I know this is a "FUN" site, but the topic pressed a button !!! I won't do it again..!! Much love and happy travels to you all.. xx Mitch and Jen..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No, wouldn't change my travel practices/ plans.
I have a few simple rules that are as much to protect the animals as myself.
Usually click the door locking, always when dogs are in the back of the car ( always had a concern about door flying open, dogs falling out)
Fiamma door lock on when travelling to prevent door opening accidentally or by someone thinking they can hitch a lift.
I've wild camped alone in dozens of places, but park so I can drive away if necessary and wouldn't stay if it didn't feel right.

There've been threats since the 70s. My parents ran a pub in Bath and were told to check toilet cisterns several times a day. Check for bags left under tables etc... And when my daughter was in London at Uni in early 90s tube stations and trains were regularly cleared.

If you let the bad guys intimidate you into fearfully changing your lifestyle, they've won.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back