Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
We love Big Gertie, but with the "industrial" engine it has, driving distances is tiring to say the least. A newer model would be great, but budget dictates......

Not sure it has been covered but do people ever share a MH? Strikes me that most will spend less than 50% of the year (say March to September) being used by just one couple, so being shared by two couples doubles the amount of money available, therefore both could potentially benefit from a better vehicle.

Specific paperwork would need to be drawn up and things like main holidays (Easter for example) shared year-on-year.

Discuss........ :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The idea is sound, people have bought shares in light aircraft for years, it means you have it to fly and the bills are shared. That said, when it comes to motorhomes most people won't share their motorhome with family or best friends, let alone anyone else. :)

Last edited:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Agree Jim. We are going to be really "selfish" with ours. No sharing with anyone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
I have no problem with Gertie being elderly and we love her to death - it's just the engine! (my car is a V6 merc auto, so somewhat spoilt!)

If I could realistically drop another engine and gearbox in her I'd do so in a heartbeat

Or can someone make the channel ports closer to Preston? I hate the journey to Dover with a passion

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Re sharing motorhome - never in a million years, nothing to do with the age of the van, I only share my bed with one other person.
Re journey to Dover - we no longer do it in one, but tend to split it, usually at Abingdon Town FC.
Very handy for the town (plenty of eateries & watering holes) & for walks along the river.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We purposely bought a 2 berth so we wouldn't have to lend it out if family asked, selfish, maybe, but it's our little piece of paradise.

Wouldn't want to share even if it meant driving a luxury model, imagine having to agree everything by committee, ooooh, makes me shudder to think of it.

Hymie

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Why not have it Tuned ? . Years ago,you could "Tweak" a 150 Gardner up to 180 speck,with the use of a file etc. Just a thought,if it is only Preston to Dover,break the journey up.
Tea Bag

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It's more likely the people you'd want to share with would want to use the van in the summer months also, can you imagine all the hassle of taking your stuff out so they could put theirs in.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We purposely bought a 2 berth so we wouldn't have to lend it out if family asked, selfish, maybe, but it's our little piece of paradise.

Wouldn't want to share even if it meant driving a luxury model, imagine having to agree everything by committee, ooooh, makes me shudder to think of it.

Hymie
We did too Hymie (y)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My son lives in Vancouver and the prospect of him borrowing our motorhome was slight. So, of course, when he asked if he could, it was easy to say "yes". Then he planned his Europe trip and my anxiety levels were raised. Just as an aside I only feel that level of worry every two years when the 3 sticks drop through the letter box. If you are less than 60 years old the 3 sticks mention will be lost on you. However, I digress, third favourite son did indeed arrive. I've only got the one, but he is third favourite. I tell him the fist two places are blank and he is third.

I knew already that the most likely circumstance was for something to go wrong and the comforting contributory factor of knowing that "it wasn't my fault". After all, we don't mind what damage is done as long as our nearest and dearest didn't cause it.

Perhaps I am overegging this tale. He only very casually mentioned "you know that knocking noise in the steering when you go over 40 mph". I had to admit that I did not know that particular noise. He assured me that it was present from the outset. I took the pushbikes off the bike rack and again he assured me that my front wheel was buckled prior to his first ever riding it.

But, credit where it is due; he took the motorhome to the Ford garage and paid for the repairs.

Bottom line, nobody gets to borrow the MH. They can nag, they can sulk, they can do the guilt trip. The answer is "NO".

And while we are on the subject I treated myself to a Yamaha Dragster for my 68 birthday. Nobody wants to borrow that, nobody even wants to go on the back. When the weather is a bit warmer I'm going to get my picture taken with my shirt off sitting on the beastie. Ok, ok, I might have to suck the belly in just a little bit but I can just about get away with it. As for the 3 sticks. What a wonderful relief to get the letter back with the word "normal" visible on a dark night from 100 paces.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Abolutely not, it's like inviting someone else to live in our house when we're away.

Nobody else would look after it the same as us.

PS we're both over 60 and no idea what you are talking about!

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I knew some people who bought an old autosleeper trooper between them, they had been neighbours for years and used to go on holiday together long before buying the van. It seemed to work for them, no arguments about whose turn it was to use it and of course they shared the running costs. I dont think I would like to do it myself, but shows it can be done with a bit of give and take.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
In a nutshell NO but id buy to let if I could afford it & make a buisiness out of it.
However a friend did offer a swop if he bought a canal barge for two weeks of the year & as he is a decent guy I considered it for about 2 hours & that was it.
Never heard no more since.................

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Thanks for that daveandsan, but it must have changed in the last three weeks. I know it is less than three weeks coz I've still got the smile on my face.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have something with 6 sticks every two years but we started having em when we were 50, round here!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
6!! 6!! It's bad enough having to produce 3 ...................... why 6?

Sorry, got sidetracked there - Regarding sharing motorhome........................... NOT ON YOUR NELLY!!!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My mistake. It is 6 sticks not 3. It's three days worth with two per day.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Re sharing motorhome - never in a million years, nothing to do with the age of the van, I only share my bed with one other person.
Re journey to Dover - we no longer do it in one, but tend to split it, usually at Abingdon Town FC.
Very handy for the town (plenty of eateries & watering holes) & for walks along the river.

We split our journey to the tunnel at a CL near Newport Pagnall this year, was only 5 minutes from the motorway. Val drove all the way back in a oner, she'll keep driving as long as I get up to feed her ! Did you just park up in the footy club car park ?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes, Tom at the Town Club has an RV (he's into drag racing) and lets motorhomes stay over for £3 ( for club funds).

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Next year, if all goes to plan, I will have another bus. My present one will be used by a sister and her partner whilst his in dry dock ( a long story!) As for the house, hoping to be away a couple of months and have my daughter live in to cat sit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back