LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh my goodness. What wonderful valued information you have provided here especially for people like me that have still to venture to Europe. It must have taken a great deal of time and much effort .

I look forward to seeing the route you travelled.
A BIG THANKYOU. . This has been very much appreciated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have set a base line budget of £8400 with a (hopefully) top line of £10,000

If you can do it for that you will be doing very well..

We full timed for three years and it cost us closer to £12k per year.. but our circumstances were a little different in that we were a family of four.. we also had an RV that was expensive to run and maintain and only did 12 mpg

We all do things differently... so it's difficult to compare, for example, we never spent money on restaurant meals or expensive sites, most of our camping was on aires or CLs in the UK.. we rarely spent money on anything other than essentials..

Full timing is not as cheap as many believe .. it's cheaper than living in a house .. but not cheap.

If you are not adding enough money to the pot to cover your outgoings, (which, despite my best efforts we weren't doing) , no matter how much you have in the bank.. it will eventually run out.. it's like a leaking tap.. drip drip drip..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Very impressive, you should get together with GJH Graham and yourself from what I see have a great deal in common.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I wish I had been more organised, having long termed for the last 15 years I haven't a clue how much it costs :rolleyes:.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

We full timed for three years and it cost us closer to £12k per year.. but our circumstances were a little different in that we were a family of four.. we also had an RV that was expensive to run and maintain and only did 12 mpg

We all do things differently... so it's difficult to compare, for example, we never spent money on restaurant meals or expensive sites, most of our camping was on aires or CLs in the UK.. we rarely spent money on anything other than essentials..

Full timing is not as cheap as many believe .. it's cheaper than living in a house .. but not cheap.

If you are not adding enough money to the pot to cover your outgoings, (which, despite my best efforts we weren't doing) , no matter how much you have in the bank.. it will eventually run out.. it's like a leaking tap.. drip drip drip..
We are much the same as you when it comes to restaurants. We only ate out once as I love to cook but there is one meal my husband had never tried so we did venture to a lovely seaside restaurant along the Normandy coast to try moules frites. They were nice but I'll do them myself next time and save a fortune!!
The reason for the base line budget is I wanted a figure to put in the ExpenseNova as a starting point. Surprisingly I now think it is definitely possible to stick very close to that figure.
We also avoided expensive sites and I was extremely surprised that my initial thoughts on going over budget in summer and under in winter turned out to be wrong. I will try and finish the post today or tomorrow as I want to add more on what it cost us on Aires/Campsites and why it was cheapest for us in August.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is just so useful, I'm on my countdown to retirement, OK still have 3 years to go but realised it takes a lot of planning on the finance side(y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Really useful info.
The euro rate is so good at the moment, that must help a lot.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

Just noticed that you were fulltiming in the UK, that makes a big difference as everything is cheaper in France, fuel, food, lpg, campsites, Aires. Did you spend any of the 3 years in Europe?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just noticed that you were fulltiming in the UK, that makes a big difference as everything is cheaper in France, fuel, food, lpg, campsites, Aires. Did you spend any of the 3 years in Europe?

no.. just part of the time when we came back for MOT etc... and to help my mate at his pub in Kent ..
we spent more than two years in France and Spain

Aires are cheap .. fuel was cheaper, but never found food cheap..

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
(y) Very informative, though I've never considered food cheap in France. (y)

I can't wait for the Campsite/aires figures.:cautious:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
wine and baccy is cheaper.. baccy even cheaper in Belgium,
but no financial benefit for those like us who use neither ..
that explains why our food bill was so much cheaper then, more wine and less meat!! It also explains the permanent grins on our faces!! Or is that just the joy of giving up work and travelling :clap2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
It's interesting when you scroll down and look at the groceries they compared. Nearly every item was cheaper in France but the cheese skews the figures and where did they buy the water?? If you look at my supermarket list water isn't anywhere near that expensive. All I know is I spent approx £100 a week in the UK on groceries and I now spend around £52. I suppose if we ate a lot of meat the cost of our weekly shop would go up but we didn't skimp as we ate chicken and chorizo every week, Merguez sausages and minced beef so lots of paella, home made burgers etc

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've always found groceries were much cheaper in France, that said in the UK were buying at supermarkets and in France we are buying most of what we eat at markets. Nothing processed, all home made.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We've always found groceries were much cheaper in France, that said in the UK were buying at supermarkets and in France we are buying most of what we eat at markets. Nothing processed, all home made.
That's what we found, lovely fresh food although a couple of the markets we visited were very expensive. We even bought some of the finest cheese I have ever tasted, Epoisses, and it was less than €5 direct from the Fromagerie. Half the fun is visiting the vineyards, fromageries and markets, it's part of the journey for us. :D

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just returned from the Masymas across the road and for 2 kgs of mussels, 15 bottles of wine of which 8 were Cava, 2 cartons of milk, 1 carton of creme fresch, and a bunch of chives, the bill came to 39-17 Euros. At todays rate, thats £30-81 for a few headaches and a good feed. Add 15 Euros for the camping at the same rate which is £11-85 and am sitting in the sun. So for 2 bottles of wine plus 2 kgs of mules marinier and the camping for 1 day for 2 people it works out at £20-96p. Thats £10-48 each all in. Now I know why I love Benidorm :D. Must go now, am off to the pool to cool down before lunch.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
How very interesting, although we won't be fulltiming when Nick retires in April we will certainly spend a few months in France. I took early retirement a few months ago and have become a Lidl convert in the UK. It's not often that we think that the quality is poor. Thank you very much , I have book marked it. App looks good too.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Very comprehensive ! Well done.
But surely you'd have a better time having fun than compliling spreadsheets!
I find it hard to budget - especially after the first few beers! It always leads to more!!! But on the positive side - with a hangover I tend not to spend anything the next day:D

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
How very interesting, although we won't be fulltiming when Nick retires in April we will certainly spend a few months in France. I took early retirement a few months ago and have become a Lidl convert in the UK. It's not often that we think that the quality is poor. Thank you very much , I have book marked it. App looks good too.
We don't full-time either as we will come home probably twice a year for 3 or 4 weeks but who knows what we may decide in the future. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back