Cassette or loo toilet main seal damaged or distorted? (1 Viewer)

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
It doesnt happen too often these days but on older vans the cassette main seal would often do a wobbly and distort and go all funny shapes making the tank leak when transporting to the elsan. Likewise the vent hole seal.

You will have to buy a new seal but dont throw the old one away. Wash it in warm soapy water and place it in the shed or garage for a few weeks. When you go back say 6 months later you will find the "thetford fairly" has been and left you a brand new seal.

Whats actually happened is that the high memory co-efficient of the rubber has returned the seal to its original shape. Even if you think "naaa it will never work " try it. You will be amazed. Even seals that kook like you took a blowtorch to them will retunr to"as new condition"

Replace the seal with the old one and start again. No more buying seals

Recently loo seals have been better but older vans still had this trouble with the non marine loos

Thanks and Good Luck

Phill

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think I've seen things moving in my cassette when I look down into the abyss. Also heard of dead otters in toilets, but how big is your cassette if you can get a seal in there? Perhaps that's why they become distorted? They need the open sea. Let it go, don't lock it in the shed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
never mind old vans our 2012 bailey has to get a new set of seals as they
leak when transporting to elasan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
put them in a bucket of warm water. then dry, place in a plastic bag and in the freezer 24hrs. they shrink back quickly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back