2nd trip out - London Town (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We were given London theatre tickets & a meal experience thing last xmas and have finally got round to booking them:clap:

Any excuse to use the van, we are booked into abbey wood 1&2 nov with the theatre booked for the sun matinee.

Whilst there we want to go and see the poppies at the tower and the bomber command memorial in Green Park.

OH fancies petticoat Lane market but reading tripadvisor it sounds pants. Wondered about Old Spittlefields Market instead as that seems close-ish to the Tower and then head to the theatre.

Has anyone been to the spittlefields market? Is it worth going or any other suggestions please?
Cheers
We are LEZ compliant btw.:smiley:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Sunday morning all round the Spitalfields area is busy and fun . The market it self is very busy with many different stalls, lots of food there , if you like fish and chips there is a great place opposite Spitalfields called Poppies on Hanbury St.
If you don't mind walking then the flower market is on on Columbia Road (15min) walk , I love it there very busy but exciting different stall holders shouting out there wears. In fact the whole area round Spitalfields is fantastic on a Sunday . Your be near Liverpool street so easy to get to the theatre. Just give yourself plenty of time .
Whatever you do enjoy. I store my van at Abbey Wood but I'm away this coming weekend if not , both of us could have met a fellow funster :cheers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sunday morning all round the Spitalfields area is busy and fun . The market it self is very busy with many different stalls, lots of food there , if you like fish and chips there is a great place opposite Spitalfields called Poppies on Hanbury St.
If you don't mind walking then the flower market is on on Columbia Road (15min) walk , I love it there very busy but exciting different stall holders shouting out there wears. In fact the whole area round Spitalfields is fantastic on a Sunday . Your be near Liverpool street so easy to get to the theatre. Just give yourself plenty of time .
Whatever you do enjoy. I store my van at Abbey Wood but I'm away this coming weekend if not , both of us could have met a fellow funster :cheers:

Cheers for your replies,this was just the sort of info I was looking for.:)

We're quite happy to get up and out early to head to the Tower, then on to the markets.
I also like the idea of the flower market - this used to be featured on a gardening programme a few years ago didn't it - can't remember the guys name, Matt something??
Sorry you're not around - another time maybe.....(y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I'm sure you've checked that your van complies with LEZ requirements. (y)

If you fancy avoiding the Dartford Toll, especially now that you can't pay at the booths, what about Greenwich Ferry? It is FREE and you get the pleasure of a river trip. :) Going south, we've got across with only short delays, but north-bound we've waited for an hour a couple of times (put the kettle on and relax). I know it's a combination of the number of boats in service and traffic loads, but we still enjoy it. The North Circular provides an easy route and the journey from ferry to Abbey Wood is straightforward, but I would suggest going to the roundabout and turning south, rather than the "sat nav" route which could take you down car-lined streets for 0.5mile.

If you use Dartford Crossing, follow CC route rather than sat nav - I think there's a 6'6" limit.

Enjoy - Gordon

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
The poppies are stunning! (I posted some pics on a previous thread). It puts the sheer scale of the fallen into awful perspective (We will remember them).

If you stand with your back to the ring road, walk down the road with a posh hotel immediately to the left of Tower Bridge. From there, you can then either walk around St Catherine's dock and see the millionaire's yachts, or once at the end of that short road, turn right under an old arch to see Traitor's Gate and other views of the Tower. Once there, get the camera out for a selfie with Tower Bridge looming large in the background!

Without moving a muscle, just across the river is an odd building shaped like a headlamp - which is London's City Hall and seat of Mayor Boris Johnson. Up-river and slightly to the right is the Cruiser, HMS Belfast. She saw extensive service in WW2 including supporting the D-Day landings.Reaching for the skies behind that is The Shard standing at 309m or 1,014 feet.

It will be heaving up there and mind the traffic BUT, enjoy!!

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Rapido925M @wingman

Hi, thanks, yes we do comply :whew: (Wasn't the 1st thing I checked tbh).
Liking the sound of the Greenwich Ferry - can you give me more details where it is please ?

Wingman, I'll see if I can find your pics thanks. Oh has been on Belfast a few years ago. We'd have liked to go up the Shard but at £29ish each we're going to pass this time:Eeek:.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
If you get time then Camden market is fun and a real eye opener.

Hi, Camden has been on the list for a while, unfortunately I can't see us making it this time:( Oh dear, never mind, we'll just have to arrange another trip to fit it in another time:)(y)

@Rapido925M

I've found Woolwich Ferry (assuming that's the one you mean?) on the tfl site, we'll be coming down the M11 so seems a logical route to take. Cheers(y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When we were down in London for the Radio 2 concert in a day we went up the Shard on the Saturday.
It was expensive for what it was but worth doing just the once :)
you can have a glass of champagne for around £10 :eek: didnt look anything special either.
As you look down from the Shard there was a market on the go so had a look there, mainly food stalls and lots of samples :LOL:
I hate big cities but love the tube, how weird is that.

Enjoy

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
When we were down in London for the Radio 2 concert in a day we went up the Shard on the Saturday.
It was expensive for what it was but worth doing just the once :)
you can have a glass of champagne for around £10 :eek: didnt look anything special either.
As you look down from the Shard there was a market on the go so had a look there, mainly food stalls and lots of samples :LOL:
I hate big cities but love the tube, how weird is that.

Enjoy
We always go everywhere on the tube - as a consequence I've not actually seen that much of the sights:LOL: I've never seen Buckingham Palace or the Mall. We just pop up at our destination:)

I think we're aiming to see the Bomber Command memorial in Green Park then walk back down the Mall and I'd sort of like to visit the National Portrait Museum. I enjoyed the Grayson Perry prog that was on the other night.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Oops! My wife keeps accusing me of getting senile. :giggle:

sorry, I didn't mean it in a sarky way:X3::)

I've no idea how many crossing points there are. A few years ago we got stuck with the caravan when they decided to close the M25:eek:

Someone told us to head for the Dulwich ferry....so I just assumed there was more than one place to cross. Somehow we bumbled along (no sat nav then) and got back onto the M25 just before the bridge. Looking on the map we must've been very close to the Woolwich ferry but managed to miss it:doh:.:)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
sorry, I didn't mean it in a sarky way:X3::)
No offence taken :)

I really ought to check my facts before opening my mouth (or typing). Looking on Google Maps, you could take the A206 to the south of Lesnes Wood, turn left and go down Knee Hill, but it is a tight turn left into Federation Road, especially if you are not expecting it. We take the A2016 then A2041, which gives an easy swing.

You CAN walk under the Thames at Greenwich, if you fancy some exercise - Gordon

PS Beware falling acorns and sweet chestnuts at Abbey Woods - they make a noise on the roof AND leave stains.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for this info Gordon, I'll check the map/club book.

We will also pick our spot carefully - I do love eating sweet chestnuts though so it's a bonus really:)

Deb

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Definitely go to Camden on a Saturday there's nothing quite like it
Hi, I can't see us having time this trip, just how things have worked out at home - but it's on the list, I didn't realise it was Saturdays too.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back