Help, I've upset my solar controller (1 Viewer)

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon you clever folk.

After spending all morning wiring my 300watt inverter directly to one of our leisure batteries my electrically challenged other half had successfully provided me with the means to use my hot brush, hoorah!!

However all the lights on the solar controller then began to blink furiously and the van control panel was showing constantly changing voltage in vehicle battery. Disconnected the inverter again and all went back to normal.

Help and advice would be so much appreciated, I know someone out there has the answer

janis

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Mine did same first disconnect solar panel wires from controler then battery wires from battery
Wait for a minute
Conect battery wire and wait for controler to show battery voyage this sets controler to 12 volt
Then re conect panal wire

If you don't do it in correct order then control Cannot set its self to correct voltage 12 18 or 24 volt

OP
OP
Jandc

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for prompt response
So if I disconnect the solar panel wires from controller, disconnect batteries, add invertor connector to terminals, reconnect batteries, reconnect solar panels to controller it should be OK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In the absence of any instructions, connect the batteries first as that powers up the electronics in the controller, then the solar panel and then the load. I would connect the inverter last but assuming it is wired directly to the battery terminals I don't think it matters.

OP
OP
Jandc

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
(y) Thanks you wonderful folks, hopefully all sorted now. What a forum!!!

I assume from other posts I have read that if we keep inverter switched off it will not draw any current from battery, although
It sure draws it when using hot brush, it will be a two minute hairstyle.

Janis

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depending on the inverter it may still draw a tiny current when switched off. This is because the switch doesn't actually disconnect the 12v from the battery (it is usually a titchy thing that couldn't possibly switch 100amps or so) a bit like leaving a TV on standby.

OP
OP
Jandc

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks, we.ll see how it goes, may put in remote switch if it is a problem, I assume solar will deal with it

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

After spending all morning wiring my 300watt inverter directly to one of our leisure batteries my electrically challenged other half had successfully provided me with the means to use my hot brush, hoorah!!...

janis

You could always save yourself the worry and ask Santa for a Braun (other brands are available)gas cell hot brush (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
After spending all morning wiring my 300watt inverter directly to one of our leisure batteries my electrically challenged other half had successfully provided me with the means to use my hot brush, hoorah!!
However all the lights on the solar controller then began to blink furiously and the van control panel was showing constantly changing voltage in vehicle battery. Disconnected the inverter again and all went back to normal.
Help and advice would be so much appreciated, I know someone out there has the answer
janis

On this thread by mistake.............from the thread title I thought you were a Buddhist seeking enlightenment.:nerd:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks, we.ll see how it goes, may put in remote switch if it is a problem, I assume solar will deal with it

If the inverter is large enough to run a hot brush, I am surprised it did not come with a remote switch. However, assuming it did not and you want to include one, I think you should use a relay. You might care to read my description of an installation in the Resources section: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/install-a-small-inverter.17/
This installation was for a 150W inverter, but the same principle applies to a larger one.

OP
OP
Jandc

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, it is the smallest wattage hot brush available rated at 240watt. Like yours Phillip our 300 watt (1000watt surge) inverter was supplied with cigar lighter plug. When plugged into the cab socket with engine running my hot brush worked well, but totally refused to work when plugged into habitation circuit via the cigar socket used for the TV. As you say, due to length and thickness of cable supplying this socket all I got from the inverter was warning lights and alarms!

So decision made to connect directly to battery. Inverter is mounted to end of settee behind passenger seat, so plug and off switch easily accessible and unit has plenty of ventilation. Seems not to be affecting battery voltage so far. I'll hang onto your excellent and clear instructions for fitting relay and switch Philip and may yet carry out the adaption.

Have tried the Braun gas option, tongs led to singed curls and the hot brush provided very poor results, I like a hot brush with some "blow" so have the cheapest and lowest wattage from Boots.

Thanks everyone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back